1.    #1  
    Verizon has a network set up on the DC subways so their network works even when you're riding the subway underground. I've always been a Sprint customer but my Sprint phones have never been able to pick up the Verizon signal on the subway even when I set my phone to roam. But now with the Pre, I can pick up the Verizon signal and I can use my phone while underground.

I was wondering if any other DC subway rider had the same situation where previous Sprint phones couldn't roam on the DC subway but now they can with the Pre.
    My Sprint PPC-6700 was unable to roam as well. I just got my Pre today and haven't had a chance to try it on the Metro.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    You may have needed an update to your PRL to get the other phones working.
    I've always been able to pick up a Verizon signal in the subway. No problems. And my Pre works well, too.
    I've ridden the DC Metro since there have been cell phones and never had a problem with Sprint roaming underground, Pre included. That's the main reason I've stayed CDMA - in the event I need to make a call while underground in an emergency or if running late.
    If the verizon network down there is 850 only, and your phones were older 1900 only phones, you would not have picked up the vzw signal.
    I'd be more concerned w/ the old equipment the transit uses. RIP to all the people who passed away in that train accident. broke my heart to hear that. Sorry for the off topic post.. Just came to mind.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    My treo 700p was able to roam phone and (i believe) data down in the metro. My pre phone has been fine downstairs but data has been very erractic. It worked initially after enabling data roaming but now no longer works. any other experiences?
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the responses. It's good to know I wasn't the only one that didn't get roaming service down there before and it's good to know the reason why I didn't (and some did).

I'm psyched to have service down there now.
    My Touch Pro always roamed in the DC Metro. I loved that I could keep listening to whatever I was streaming even after I went out of Sprint range. There would be like a 10-30 second gap while it switched networks and started buffering again but other than that it kept working.
    Good info guys. Thanks.
    Neil
    Quote Originally Posted by x081967 View Post
    Verizon has a network set up on the DC subways so their network works even when you're riding the subway underground. I've always been a Sprint customer but my Sprint phones have never been able to pick up the Verizon signal on the subway even when I set my phone to roam. But now with the Pre, I can pick up the Verizon signal and I can use my phone while underground.

I was wondering if any other DC subway rider had the same situation where previous Sprint phones couldn't roam on the DC subway but now they can with the Pre.
    Worked (and works) on an iffy basis for me with the Mogul and Pre... although the signal was a bit more erratic with the former.
    I've been voice/ data roaming on the red line fine. The Verizon signal seems to be strongest on there. I also have a Verizon work phone that receives relatively the same signal as the Pre does roaming on the Metro.
    I'm guessing that forcing the Pre into Data Roaming may help. I believe you just dial ##3836#

My question is how do you turn off Data roaming (Dial ##3836# again?) Also keep in mind Sprint caps Data Roaming at 300mb per month.
    Neil
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I did not have any previous Sprint phones, yet it is amazing getting that Verizon roaming down there. I've lived in DC for most of my life, yet during the times I was there, I never had service from Verizon. The other day I made my first phone call from the Metro, and it was amazing!!
    I use the orange and blue lines on the east side the most and usually get decent voice and data roaming. For a while I was losing signal at Eastern Market, but that problem seems to have disappeared this week.
    I've only had marginal luck w/ service while on the actual metro trains. all my verizon phones barely had signal. between medical center and metro center on the red line was iffy. I could text ok, but signal was weak, and battery life not so good.

I was happy that the Pre worked pretty much in the same manner so far. Especially after turning on data roaming (hadn't checked beforehand if we get charged for it, luckily, no, heh).