View Poll Results: Is it a bug that the Pre's GPS won't work without a network connection?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it is a bug.

17 56.67%
  • No, that's how it should work.

13 43.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Without a cell or WiFi signal, the Pre's GPS chip will not work.

Is there a good reason for this? Is this a bug? I vote yes.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Well, I'm not sure if that's how it SHOULD work, but I think it is how it is designed to work. People here had a huge problem with this and the 800w. The big difference between the Pre and the 800w though is that the 800w advertised standalone GPS. Also there were applications that could take advantage of the standalone GPS, like TomTom. With the Pre there aren't any apps yet.
  3.    #3  
    My old HTC Touch/Vogue had standalone GPS and this feels very much like a step back to me.

And there will never be standalone GPS apps that can work offline until this "Bug" is addressed in an update.

I just see no legitimate reason to not have it work. The GPS is physically capable of working without a network connection.
    I guess I have to take your word for it but I thought that your statement was not an accurate premise. My thought was that the GPS works without a cell signal but the apps do not. For Sprint Nav (i.e. Tele Nav), you need the signal to download the map. FOr GoogleMaps, you also need the signal to download the maps. So the apps don't work because the phone does not store the maps.

If I'm wrong, let me know.
    It's not a bug but rather a mistake that was intended.
    It's not a bug, it's a feature.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I've noticed some strange behavior where I couldn't get a GPS lock even in clear skies and strong 3G signal. But when I soft-reset GPS lock is fine.
    Palm III --> PalmVx + Omnisky --> Samsung i730 --> Treo 650 --> Samsung i760 --> AT&T Tilt --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by jerich007 View Post
    I've noticed some strange behavior where I couldn't get a GPS lock even in clear skies and strong 3G signal. But when I soft-reset GPS lock is fine.
    Yes. Issues abound. I wouldn't rely on this service if you HAD to. Garmin to the rescue or perhaps a more reliable third party app....eventually...
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    I guess I have to take your word for it but I thought that your statement was not an accurate premise. My thought was that the GPS works without a cell signal but the apps do not. For Sprint Nav (i.e. Tele Nav), you need the signal to download the map. FOr GoogleMaps, you also need the signal to download the maps. So the apps don't work because the phone does not store the maps.

If I'm wrong, let me know.
    You are not wrong. This phone isn't a GPS unit, it's a phone that has GPS chip. For 99% of the people this will be the best option. With all the map data on servers elsewhere it's updateable and changeable without the user needing to by a new copy of the software every 9 months. What is not to love?

As if I'm going to take my Pre along to navigate on a whitewater canoe trip....that's what my waterproof, impact resistant and 3 day battery life GPS unit is for.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    You are not wrong. This phone isn't a GPS unit, it's a phone that has GPS chip. For 99% of the people this will be the best option. With all the map data on servers elsewhere it's updateable and changeable without the user needing to by a new copy of the software every 9 months. What is not to love?

As if I'm going to take my Pre along to navigate on a whitewater canoe trip....that's what my waterproof, impact resistant and 3 day battery life GPS unit is for.
    If you drive out of town for any amount of time you may disagree. If you have poor reception you may disagree. If your Pre only finds sats 65% of the time like mine, you may disagree.

Assuming all is working as it should and one is in a Sprint coverage area, then I agree with you 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    If you drive out of town for any amount of time you may disagree. If you have poor reception you may disagree. If your Pre only finds sats 65% of the time like mine, you may disagree.

Assuming all is working as it should and one is in a Sprint coverage area, then I agree with you 100%.
    My phone seems to roam just fine on VW in the instances I'm not on the Sprint Network. And I have had no issues with GPS service. Sounds to me like you have a defective phone.

Replace, enjoy.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Uhh wouldn't the Pre need a satellite antenna to work without Phone service? Maybe Im misunderstanding the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    Uhh wouldn't the Pre need a satellite antenna to work without Phone service? Maybe Im misunderstanding the question.
    Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read, learn....clarity
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    So as far as the original posters question I was right.

Systems and devices which are A-GPS only are, unlike Standalone GPS capable devices, tied to good signals from subscriber cellular phone networks, substantially limiting their area of operation.

be, less ... condescending - sorry I channeled William Shattner there.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasII View Post
    I was under the impression that ##GPS# worked with no service, just not Google Maps or Sprint Navigation, obviously?
    No it does not. I just spent 2 weeks in Europe and I am a big geotagger and love to twitter my location. Dialing ##GPS# would not work there unless I was connected to wifi, even then it would only give me the city I was in.

My touch advertised as having AGPS, so I don't buy that the GPS chip inside the Pre is physically incapable of real GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    So as far as the original posters question I was right.

Systems and devices which are A-GPS only are, unlike Standalone GPS capable devices, tied to good signals from subscriber cellular phone networks, substantially limiting their area of operation.

be, less ... condescending - sorry I channeled William Shattner there.
    Key words there are "tied to." As in the system is designed to operate properly with the CDMA radio on, as in no bug here folks.

If I came across condescending I do apologize. An hour prior to me telling you to read that Wiki article I had just read it myself and therefor the "Read, learn....clarity" path was exactly how it went for me :-)
    It's just how things are. Sprint Navigation and Google Maps both need an active data connection to pull down map data. GPS is useless otherwise. I'm pretty sure the Pre has its own GPS radio and antennas, so its not dependent on the cell network(although having the cell network makes FTTF(First Time to Fix) faster). Just to test, try ##GPS# in a no network area and it should still pick up your longitude, latitude and elevation and etc.

EDIT: Just turned on airplane mode, and tried getting a fix on GPS. Worked just fine.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    It's just how things are. Sprint Navigation and Google Maps both need an active data connection to pull down map data. GPS is useless otherwise. I'm pretty sure the Pre has its own GPS radio and antennas, so its not dependent on the cell network(although having the cell network makes FTTF(First Time to Fix) faster). Just to test, try ##GPS# in a no network area and it should still pick up your longitude, latitude and elevation and etc.

EDIT: Just turned on airplane mode, and tried getting a fix on GPS. Worked just fine.
    No actually it doesn't. It gives you the last known fix. Trust me, I tried to make it work for 2 weeks in Europe.

There are plenty of reasons to have GPS work whether you have network access or not. There are a lot of things you can do with just getting accurate coordinates. Spaz, for example, lets you insert your coordinates (Which won't work properly if all you have is a WiFi hotspot).

Keep airplane mode ON, drive a couple miles, and do ##GPS# again - it will be the same coordinates.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post

Try rebooting once you have airplane mode on. For me I no longer get a GPS fix until I turn airplane mode off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Keep airplane mode ON, drive a couple miles, and do ##GPS# again - it will be the same coordinates.
    I would think it should being as airplane mode turns of the GPS capability.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast