Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I want to clarify something assuming some people dont realize it. Although I have been told by the sales rep at Sprint and even by a Sprint customer service rep, you CANNOT get push email from Outlook, unless its on exchange.

Its amazing that when you ask them if Outlook and Pre do have push, they usually say yes without asking if you have exchange. Many people dont I would think.

Anyway, another problem I had was that when I entered my email info, the Pre assumed I was using that other format (forgot what it was) rather than POP. So emails came through from Outlook fine at the beginning, then even pushed for a couple of emails. Then dead stop. I called Sprint and they told me it was a problem on my end.

We then realized that it didnt default to POP. So if you set up an email account, do yourself a favor and do manual set up so you can choose.

I cant get push but 5 minutes is better than the 15 for iphone.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Outlook is just a way to view email, it is not a server. You can use Outlook to get email pushed to via Exchange or an IMAP account, like Gmail, personally I use everyone.net with my own domain. You can also get those pushed to the Pre. POP3 is not push, not to Outlook or the Pre.

I think you are confused, but maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Oh, I am definitely confused! I put this out unless other people, like me, thought that Outlook on its own could receive push email.

I do understand now though, thanks Dave.
    OP, I'm confused by your post. Are you using a POP e-mail account, IMAP, IMAP IDLE, or Exchange? What's your e-mail service provider?

Only IMAP IDLE or Exchange (EAS) will do push (As Items Arrive setting). Outlook on your desktop doesn't actually support IMAP IDLE. It supports IMAP, but not for push. The Pre supports POP, IMAP, IMAP IDLE, and Exchange.

So you've set up your e-mail to sync every 5 minutes? What kind of account are you doing that with?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    OP, I'm confused by your post. Are you using a POP e-mail account, IMAP, IMAP IDLE, or Exchange? What's your e-mail service provider?

Only IMAP IDLE or Exchange (EAS) will do push (As Items Arrive setting). Outlook on your desktop doesn't actually support IMAP IDLE. It supports IMAP, but not for push. The Pre supports POP, IMAP, IMAP IDLE, and Exchange.

So you've set up your e-mail to sync every 5 minutes? What kind of account are you doing that with?
    Not sure of the details but we use private service provider who set up our website and also my email account. It is POP3 definitely.

The funny thing is even when I set it on manual, sometimes emails come pushed even when I dont have the email open.
    I'm confused, scared and I think I just wet my pants...
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JonR88 View Post
    Should I be to blame, or is this something you do often?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickgurri View Post
    Not sure of the details but we use private service provider who set up our website and also my email account. It is POP3 definitely.

The funny thing is even when I set it on manual, sometimes emails come pushed even when I dont have the email open.
    If you're using a POP3 e-mail account then it definitely is NOT push. On the Pre, e-mail notifications will come through even if the e-mail program is not open. A scheduled sync is your only option if you're using POP3. Every 5 minutes is a bit extreme and will definitely drain your battery, but that's up to you to decide if you want to live with the consequences.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    If you're using a POP3 e-mail account then it definitely is NOT push. On the Pre, e-mail notifications will come through even if the e-mail program is not open. A scheduled sync is your only option if you're using POP3. Every 5 minutes is a bit extreme and will definitely drain your battery, but that's up to you to decide if you want to live with the consequences.
    To the OP, one thing you could do is forward your e-mails to a hosted EAS account, I use mail2web, and that'll basically give you push e-mail. Pulling e-mail every 5 minutes will definitely drain your battery very quickly.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JonR88 View Post
    You "think", or are you sure - cuz that could lead to whole bunch of other possible issues....
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    i used to use the push option with my exchange account, but then I turned it off, because I thought it would save batter life. Does anyone know if it matters? Also, I curious how it works, does it have a constant connection to the server or something.