Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I'm kinda thinking this post could go in the "returning your Pre because" thread, but I gotta give kudo's to the posters here. The Palm forums are just about worthless, whereas here it's a treasure trove of information here.

I think the Precentral users knew when the update rolled out before Palm did as a whole. The Homebrew guys deserve kudos for how much they got ontop of the OS versatility and modifying things. That was jumped on like a spark hitting a pile of dry tinder.

The average user here is well educated, sensible, and very articulate. Seems like the early adopters are a wise bunch, and the community's DNA is similar to the Crackberry scene. A bunch of well informed people that are pleasant to converse with.

That culture is cultivated by the mods and admins.

While my Pre is going away, that just makes it all the more frustrating. I like the device, and the types of users it attracts spawned a great community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardoreal View Post
    I'm kinda thinking this post could go in the "returning your Pre because" thread
    Yeah me too.
  3. ooc
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I really don't care if you return your Pre or if you stay at the forums. Thanks for letting me know so I could post this unnecessary message to you. But hey, at least we have something in common now.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    I'm kinda curious as to why your returning your device?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Geez! Give the guy a break- he's posting a thank you to us, the forum members, and you slap him in the face? I don't get it. He's saying the device didn't work out, but he thinks the forum is great. Way to prove him wrong on his way out...
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I may be making the same choice though I don't want to. They still have not resolved my email issue and I think that they don't care. I just can't understand how others using exchange mail in a corp environment can get by. How can you send a response to a threaded email and have the Pre destroy the formatting of the previous email and still use this phone? It is a damn shame. I love this except that if I can't use it for work, then it serves me no purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by ooc View Post
    I really don't care if you return your Pre or if you stay at the forums. Thanks for letting me know so I could post this unnecessary message to you. But hey, at least we have something in common now.
    There is always an exception to the rule.
    I returned my Pre last Friday, but I'm still checking in here because I really wanted the Pre to work out. There were too many show stoppers, but since I was spoiled by 3G service (when I could get it on the Pre...) I decided to upgrade my 2G iPhone.

However am open to return to the Pre if they sort the signal problems within the return policy of my iPhone. Though I gotta say the new iPhone is a heck of a piece of kit with it's great camera, fingerprint resistant screen, fully universal search!

I like the Pre somewhat better 'cause it's Linux and I could load music on it with my Linux computers, whereas the iPhone cowardly refuses to sync with Amarok, Rhythmbox, etc. I also liked the smaller form factor, and physical keyboard. Just couldn't live with the data signal problems, and a few other things.

Anyhow I agree that this community is great, of course except for the few people who are such Pre devotees that they take every opportunity to bash other phones, and people who return their Pre. I've been an iPhone user for 2 years, and I recognize the awesomeness of both devices. I just kinda had higher hopes for the Pre than it could deliver at this point.

-n8
    Quote Originally Posted by ooc View Post
    This is true. I've never understood why people decide to write farewell letters on forums. It's not like someone is taking daily roll call that someone will actually notice you are no longer here. The only ones who would get that privilege are long time posters who through one way or another gained notoriety by being super helpful or by contributing significantly to the forums.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    This is true. I've never understood why people decide to write farewell letters on forums. It's not like someone is taking daily roll call that someone will actually notice you are no longer here. The only ones who would get that privilege are long time posters who through one way or another gained notoriety by being super helpful or by contributing significantly to the forums.
    You bear similarities to a certain feminine hygiene product which shall remain nameless. Do you actually OWN the forums? No? Then why does this post require your approval? I thought it was a nice compliment to the community.

-n8
    It bears repeating here: If you are not interested in a thread then don't read it.

I for one am interested in reading this and I am glad the OP posted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    I never understood why people write messages of displeasure about why certain people write certain types of posts.

You don't have a way of controlling/stopping people from writing pretty much whatever they want, so why complain about it? Let the guy write a farewell message if it makes him feel better.
    people post these things primarily for 2 reasons. the obvious ones are the apple fanboys badmouthing pre. we will just ignore these. but the 2nd category, they like the pre, like all thing, but there are some downers like eas and others that comes with the 1.0 device territoty. they find that they should not have got the phone in the first place. but their ego can't accept that. so either they lash out at palm for coming to market too early (member gecko cones to mind) or make excuses like OP and need validation that they r not stupid. hence these long winding goodbye notes why palm pre is not for them right now. so here goes my attempt 3 helping them: people who now think the missing features in 1.0 device are deal breakers... u are not stupid. there is nothing wrong in accepting that u got excited and made a impulse purchase. come get a pre when the problems have been fixed. so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by akatoast View Post
    I may be making the same choice though I don't want to. They still have not resolved my email issue and I think that they don't care. I just can't understand how others using exchange mail in a corp environment can get by. How can you send a response to a threaded email and have the Pre destroy the formatting of the previous email and still use this phone? It is a damn shame. I love this except that if I can't use it for work, then it serves me no purpose.
    You must be on a 2003 server?? I just moved to Exchange 2007 (different host) and the formatting is better - almost exact, but not quite - but not all one run-on paragraph.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by akatoast View Post
    Odd, Exchange works perfectly for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ipretoo View Post
    people post these things primarily for 2 reasons. the obvious ones are the apple fanboys badmouthing pre. we will just ignore these. but the 2nd category, they like the pre, like all thing, but there are some downers like eas and others that comes with the 1.0 device territoty. they find that they should not have got the phone in the first place. but their ego can't accept that. so either they lash out at palm for coming to market too early (member gecko cones to mind) or make excuses like OP and need validation that they r not stupid. hence these long winding goodbye notes why palm pre is not for them right now. so here goes my attempt 3 helping them: people who now think the missing features in 1.0 device are deal breakers... u are not stupid. there is nothing wrong in accepting that u got excited and made a impulse purchase. come get a pre when the problems have been fixed. so long.
    This phone has more issues than just 1.0 gen issues... like reception. Then again, reception is a 1.0 gen issue if you bought your cell phone in 1990.

I for one don't care to allow Palm to make mistakes on my dollar and neither do the majority of cell phone users. Most iphone users don't know what a pre is and most pre users don't care about iphone because it's not offered with Sprint service.

"Hey dude, your car doesn't run properly because it's gen 1.0 so stop complaining or go by a Toyota instead!" I'm not sure if a car company could get away with this lame *** excuse.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    It's as others have noted, just a compliment to the community. If they get the issues worked out I probably will come back to the Pre. It's not my ego taking a hit, and I wish Palm well. It's not a grandiose long winded essay, it's actually quite far from self-centered.

I've used S60, iPhone OS, Blackberry, old PalmOS, and even Winmo. I have no bias or special place for an OS. I do think that WebOS is "the best", but I'm thinking that this round of Pre's from manufacturing are inherently flawed on a hardware level.

I really admire this community though, and that's the point of this thread. Parting with several really good things because it just doesn't meet my needs despite all there is to like about the device.

As another poster said, reception is a 1.0 type of issue...if it was 1990. Palm, with all their radio experience, really should have done better. Hopefully it gets fixed, as the better Palm does, the better off all customers are. Whether you're an Apple, RIM, Microsoft, or Palm customers, better competition is better for everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    This phone has more issues than just 1.0 gen issues... like reception. Then again, reception is a 1.0 gen issue if you bought your cell phone in 1990.

I for one don't care to allow Palm to make mistakes on my dollar and neither do the majority of cell phone users. Most iphone users don't know what a pre is and most pre users don't care about iphone because it's not offered with Sprint service.

"Hey dude, your car doesn't run properly because it's gen 1.0 so stop complaining or go by a Toyota instead!" I'm not sure if a car company could get away with this lame *** excuse.
    I hope you have not got a pre now since you are not ready for 1.0 device if you do not intend to be a beta-tester. You should definitely wait for all the bugs/kinks to be fixed.

As for reception issues, I am not sure how many have been having these issues. Again for a brand new platform, it is 1.0 issue. I am sure it will get fixed in the next 2-3 updates. Comparing a car to a cellphone is absolutely ridiculous as most issues on the pre can be fixed thru software updates. I dont know of any car issue that can be fixed without a recall.
    Last edited by ipretoo; 06/25/2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: car not can...
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    You must be on a 2003 server?? I just moved to Exchange 2007 (different host) and the formatting is better - almost exact, but not quite - but not all one run-on paragraph.
    I think it's actually the type of email. I found that if you respond to an HTML-formatted email it screws up the formatting of previous responses. Doesn't do it on plain- or rich-text though. Don't know if we're on 2003 or 2007 server at the office.
    I hope you have not got a pre now since you are not ready for 1.0 device if you do not intend to be a beta-tester. You should definitely wait for all the bugs/kinks to be fixed.

As for reception issues, I am not sure how many have been having these issues. Again for a brand new platform, it is 1.0 issue. I am sure it will get fixed in the next 2-3 updates. Comparing a car to a cellphone is absolutely ridiculous as most issues on the pre can be fixed thru software updates. I dont know of any car issue that can be fixed without a recall.
    Again, "1.0" is a lame *** excuse however I will grant you that some people are complaining over silly small stuff.

Recall...you got it...that was the point of my analogy.

Beta testing shouldn't cost money and reception ISN'T a 1.0 issue AND won't likely be fixed with software updates since it appears to me to be a hardware issue as Sprint is handing out free airaves.

I hope I am wrong. I have owned MANY palm cell phones for several years and never felt like I was being "Beta tested" until the Pre.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast