Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ipretoo View Post
    stuff that he wrote, yada yada yada
    Reception is the whole reason I'm taking the phone back. If that issue wasn't present, I would be a happy customer. I'm never going to be an unhappy customer if I have options. Palm has been making smartphones for a long time on CDMA, so I think to say the Pre just has "1.0 issues" is unduly burdensome to customers of a company whose past products had great reception. Somewhere in the drawer is plans for a great radio and they ignored it for the Pre.

Starting fresh is not the right way if you have stuff that worked before. Palm had great radios, and they put a stinker into the Pre.

I'd be willing to wager that it's a manufacturing yield issue. I'd be content going and exchanging for another Pre but I'm worried that I'll get another phone with problems. Who knows how many I'd have to go through to get the right one.

Rather than chance it, I'll go with what I know, and I know I really enjoyed my Blackberry, and had no complaints. What was promised, was delivered, and then some. With Palm, they promised a certain battery life, and then it is to just be assumed that they'd at least be as good as others for reception, they are not.

You can debate this all you want, and you may be very fortunate in having a working unit, but we are not. This is not to say I dislike the company, I have honestly no preference, just requirements. The Pre does not meet my requirements, simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardoreal View Post
    Reception is the whole reason I'm taking the phone back. If that issue wasn't present, I would be a happy customer. I'm never going to be an unhappy customer if I have options. Palm has been making smartphones for a long time on CDMA, so I think to say the Pre just has "1.0 issues" is unduly burdensome to customers of a company whose past products had great reception. Somewhere in the drawer is plans for a great radio and they ignored it for the Pre.

Starting fresh is not the right way if you have stuff that worked before. Palm had great radios, and they put a stinker into the Pre.

I'd be willing to wager that it's a manufacturing yield issue. I'd be content going and exchanging for another Pre but I'm worried that I'll get another phone with problems. Who knows how many I'd have to go through to get the right one.

Rather than chance it, I'll go with what I know, and I know I really enjoyed my Blackberry, and had no complaints. What was promised, was delivered, and then some. With Palm, they promised a certain battery life, and then it is to just be assumed that they'd at least be as good as others for reception, they are not.

You can debate this all you want, and you may be very fortunate in having a working unit, but we are not. This is not to say I dislike the company, I have honestly no preference, just requirements. The Pre does not meet my requirements, simple as that.
    Well said. I'll add to this that I am glad many people are having a very positive experience as this gives me hope that I too may have a positive experience in the future. My fingers are crossed and my fingers have been wrapped around palm phones for much longer than most in this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    Again, "1.0" is a lame *** excuse however I will grant you that some people are complaining over silly small stuff.

Recall...you got it...that was the point of my analogy.

Beta testing shouldn't cost money and reception ISN'T a 1.0 issue AND won't likely be fixed with software updates since it appears to me to be a hardware issue as Sprint is handing out free airaves.

I hope I am wrong. I have owned MANY palm cell phones for several years and never felt like I was being "Beta tested" until the Pre.
    I would say even the slider mechanism is beta testing. How many slider phones has palm built? None. This is completely new to them and their manufacturer. This is the first time they went it with this form as they wanted to compete with iphone which has a larger screen and also provide a physical keyboard,which iphone lacks. Slider was the only one that fits this requirement. HTC has had some success with the slider, but all other sliders have been for dumb phones.
    Regarding reception, probably the antenna is not in the best position. I would think it is on the slider side of the phone, which comes down. maybe that affects reception. Try talking with the slider closed and see if the reception is better.
    My point is that if someone buys a palm pre with a new OS and new slider configuration (for a smartphone and for palm), they have to know what they are getting into. These problems will get ironed out soon.

Ardoreal, if you dont like it take it back. Dont make a song, dance and new thread about it.
    i agree, this community is very nice.
    My point is that if someone buys a palm pre with a new OS and new slider configuration (for a smartphone and for palm), they have to know what they are getting into.
    You bring up very valid points even though I feel like your defending your kid on the play ground and not a cell phone/tech company who pays employees mega bucks to design gadgets that cost us all tons of our hard earned cash. A company that has been doing it for YEARS btw.

People shouldn't have to know what they are getting into and by saying that they should know "what they are getting into" you acknowledge the problems.

Perhaps Sprint sales folks should tell people "what they are getting into" when they pay all that money and may be forced to upgrade their plan to accommodate a phone that is still being beta tested by PAYING customers.

...and still...I get what you are saying but again...1.0 Gen is a lame *** excuse for reception issues. Maybe not for other little tiny things some people are complaining about though, I agree.
    Very cool post Ardoreal, dont let a few aholes around here spoil your experience. Hope to see you back, better yet heres hoping palm makes it back! good luck man
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Wendellp +1
    Hi, funny you should say the Pre isn't as good reception wise as your old unit. As my Pre is better than my old Treo 755p in both reception and call quality, though there is variation between units. I got 2 exchanges in the last 2 days. My original phone was good and has the best talk and listening quality of the bunch, good as a land line phone and far better than my old Treo 755p. I replaced is for the light areas on the screen that were discolored. The second one had a near perfect screen with no light bleeding or dead pixels, but a wiggly slider, call quality I was told was almost as good as the first. I replaced the unit today with the jiggly slider for another with a tighter slider, but this new one has 2 dead pixels right in the middle of the screen, and a little bit of the light bleeding on the bottom like the first, but no where near as bad, and I'm told the my voice quality is not nearly as good as the previous two. What does that all tell me? Poor quality control basically, but overall they definatly aren't putting sub par radio's in the unit versus their previous ones. You might just have gotten a bad one is all. Also don't forget to turn on data roaming on the phone.. (if you still had it). By default it's off, you should have it on if you never want to loose data coverage. And roaming is free on the everything plan.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7seven7 View Post
    Hi, funny you should say the Pre isn't as good reception wise as your old unit. As my Pre is better than my old Treo 755p in both reception and call quality, though there is variation between units. I got 2 exchanges in the last 2 days. My original phone was good and has the best talk and listening quality of the bunch, good as a land line phone and far better than my old Treo 755p. I replaced is for the light areas on the screen that were discolored. The second one had a near perfect screen with no light bleeding or dead pixels, but a wiggly slider, call quality I was told was almost as good as the first. I replaced the unit today with the jiggly slider for another with a tighter slider, but this new one has 2 dead pixels right in the middle of the screen, and a little bit of the light bleeding on the bottom like the first, but no where near as bad, and I'm told the my voice quality is not nearly as good as the previous two. What does that all tell me? Poor quality control basically, but overall they definatly aren't putting sub par radio's in the unit versus their previous ones. You might just have gotten a bad one is all. Also don't forget to turn on data roaming on the phone.. (if you still had it). By default it's off, you should have it on if you never want to loose data coverage. And roaming is free on the everything plan.
    That's very interesting, and I'm glad you posted. I had a Centro once too, and the Centro had great reception. It was consistently getting a -65 dbm sensitivity.

I may just exchange for another Pre, but right there in the store I'll ask them for another if it's not good enough. I'll root it right in front of them and compare dbm.

Just an FYI, I too had it set to "Sprint Only" on the network. Not great, but it keeps an evdo connection at least. You know, that's another peculiar thing too, it never drops down to 1x, if it has ANY signal it keeps ev alive. I hadn't tried the data roaming, but I did see the option. On a friend's HTC Mogul it roams with data as well, and that phone supported evdo rev. a but when he roamed his connection on Verizon's network is only provisioned for a 128kbps connection.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I would say even the slider mechanism is beta testing. How many slider phones has palm built? None. This is completely new to them and their manufacturer. This is the first time they went it with this form as they wanted to compete with iphone which has a larger screen and also provide a physical keyboard,which iphone lacks. Slider was the only one that fits this requirement. HTC has had some success with the slider, but all other sliders have been for dumb phones.
    Regarding reception, probably the antenna is not in the best position. I would think it is on the slider side of the phone, which comes down. maybe that affects reception. Try talking with the slider closed and see if the reception is better.
    My point is that if someone buys a palm pre with a new OS and new slider configuration (for a smartphone and for palm), they have to know what they are getting into. These problems will get ironed out soon.

Ardoreal, if you dont like it take it back. Dont make a song, dance and new thread about it.
    I have tried talking with the slider open/closed, actually I did better and ran ifconfig in developer mode and registered the dbm w/slider open vs closed, held sideways, etc. It made actually no difference the position the hand has over the unit it registered the same sensitivity to the tower.

On the slider, I use to have a Tungsten T3. Palm, as a company, has perhaps more experience dealing with sliders than any contemporary smartphone companies. In their PDA's granted, but what really stinks is that the Tungsten products that used sliders were designed in the defunct Palm Tiburon engineering house. I doubt many people are still with Palm from that group, whom imho had the best taste of Palm's history. The T3's slider was rock solid, and the quality was amazingly high. Palm went through a great deal of extra effort to make it a first-rate classy feel.
    Given the number of reports and complaints regarding reception problems, I do not believe it is an isolated issue. Too many people are reporting this issue here and the Palm support forum for it to just be a handful of bad phones.

If your phone is perfect, then enjoy it and be happy. Not everyone has found a perfect Pre.
    people post these things primarily for 2 reasons. the obvious ones are the apple fanboys badmouthing pre. we will just ignore these. but the 2nd category, they like the pre, like all thing, but there are some downers like eas and others that comes with the 1.0 device territoty. they find that they should not have got the phone in the first place. but their ego can't accept that. so either they lash out at palm for coming to market too early (member gecko cones to mind) or make excuses like OP and need validation that they r not stupid. hence these long winding goodbye notes why palm pre is not for them right now. so here goes my attempt 3 helping them: people who now think the missing features in 1.0 device are deal breakers... u are not stupid. there is nothing wrong in accepting that u got excited and made a impulse purchase. come get a pre when the problems have been fixed. so long.
    I think your comments about the categories in which to place folks are interesting. But I think there's a more subtle category.

The fanboy who posts something along the lines of, "I love my Pre but such-and-such a problem really needs to be fixed."

Some of these people don't actually own the device. This is a far more subtle bashing technique in which the OP actually makes claim of owning a pre just to "advertise" something as a fault with the hopes that someone doing reasearch for a possible buy might see it and be turned away.

Very devious indeed.

That said. I don't get the vibe that the OP falls into this category. The post reads quite genuinely to me.
    Good thing the OP isn't going back to a Blackberry Storm!! that is a freaking nightmare compared to this phone/release. And yes i have both.. The Storm Launched with 10 times MORE issues AND took 6 months to get first update.. leaked OS's not counting.
    Are you serious, Ron? You're really this paranoid? You often say some very insightful things but this isn't one of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I think your comments about the categories in which to place folks are interesting. But I think there's a more subtle category.

The fanboy who posts something along the lines of, "I love my Pre but such-and-such a problem really needs to be fixed."

Some of these people don't actually own the device. This is a far more subtle bashing technique in which the OP actually makes claim of owning a pre just to "advertise" something as a fault with the hopes that someone doing reasearch for a possible buy might see it and be turned away.

Very devious indeed.

That said. I don't get the vibe that the OP falls into this category. The post reads quite genuinely to me.
    I had to exchange my 2nd pre for a 3rd today because the second one's screen started to crack on the side and the usb cover was broken the first time I opened it. The third and current pre has serious screen wobble so we'll see how long it will last.

My first pre had serious reception issues and a broken mute button from day one. The second seemed better on reception but still not even close to my centro or older palm phones. This third one seems about the same as the second.

Serious hardware/build issues here. If it's not one thing, it's another thing that breaks. AND YET, My Wife's Pre suffers from none of these issues that make Sprint employees look at my phone and apologize then instantly offer a replacement.

Man I feel like I am stuck in an abusive relationship with a hot model who beats me. I want to leave her but I love her and she multitasks like nobody when she works!!!!
    I had to exchange my 2nd pre for a 3rd today because the second one's screen started to crack on the side and the usb cover was broken the first time I opened it. The third and current pre has serious screen wobble so we'll see how long it will last.

My first pre had serious reception issues and a broken mute button from day one. The second seemed better on reception but still not even close to my centro or older palm phones. This third one seems about the same as the second.

Serious hardware/build issues here. If it's not one thing, it's another thing that breaks. AND YET, My Wife's Pre suffers from none of these issues that make Sprint employees look at my phone and apologize then instantly offer a replacement.

Man I feel like I am stuck in an abusive relationship with a hot model who beats me. I want to leave her but I love her and she multitasks like nobody when she works!!!!
    Maybe you should send your wife to the store for the next one...
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Maybe you should send your wife to the store for the next one...
    Now that's quality control.

I'll add that I used to think people posting here about 3 and 4 Pre returns must be doing something to cause this silliness. I now understand that these Pre phones have issues because I have experienced it first hand. NONE of my last several Palm phones over 10+ years broke and suffered hardware failure like this Pre. I never owned or needed an airave until now. I never returned other Palm phones with issues until now. I now it's easy to assume we are all crazy with our complaints but Palm does have a quality control issue here with the Pre and I am not talking about small features that people complain should have been included in the launch. I am talking about stuff that breaks for no good reason or came broken from day one and reception issues.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    LOL!

Quality control, hahaha.

On another note, I guess I'll head over to the Crackberry forums, because I got my Curve. Ya know what? It was a sigh of relief, but....... it's not WebOS. I'm sitting here with 4 bars and registering -70 dbm in the status program. I have BeejiveIM, Viigo, and 3 email accounts doing the Blackberry push thing. Viigo refreshes hourly, the camera is set to auto-geotag photos so the Blackberry equivalent of "Location Services" is on right now, on my IM lists in Beejive I have about 30 buddies online right now...and it isn't doing a single thing to my battery. Not as far as I can tell, I can even get into Viigo and start loading up articles and it doesn't drain the battery one iota.

This is mobile, this is what the Pre should be. If they fix it I'll come back. WebOS is MUCH more pleasing to use than the Blackberry OS. It's just that...the Curve meets my needs and then some, where the Pre wasn't cutting the mustard.

One other thing, the store was out of Pre's to exchange so they wanted to do the 30 day exchange. I decided to just straight up give the Pre back and walk away with the Curve. That put an insta-refund of $150 into my pocket, and I've got my $100 rebate ready to go out.

For $300, you should really be happy with your phone and not have any hassles. I'm going to have just paid $50, and I'm going to be really happy.
    Now that's quality control.

I'll add that I used to think people posting here about 3 and 4 Pre returns must be doing something to cause this silliness. I now understand that these Pre phones have issues because I have experienced it first hand. NONE of my last several Palm phones over 10+ years broke and suffered hardware failure like this Pre. I never owned or needed an airave until now. I never returned other Palm phones with issues until now. I now it's easy to assume we are all crazy with our complaints but Palm does have a quality control issue here with the Pre and I am not talking about small features that people complain should have been included in the launch. I am talking about stuff that breaks for no good reason or came broken from day one and reception issues.
    Didn't mean to imply that you were being dishonest, that was supposed to be a funny.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Didn't mean to imply that you were being dishonest, that was supposed to be a funny.
    I thought it was funny.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast