Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wanted to share this and see if others have any input for me, perhaps suggestions for me. My bro got a pre yesterday morning. He fully charged it while playing with it like I did when I 1st got mine. In the evening we went to see a movie. Prior to going into the movie his was at about 75% and mine was at about 50%. After the movie (about 3 hours later) His was at about 65% and mine at about 15%. Neither of us had left any cards open during the 3 hours. Someone called me during the movie (obviously didn't answer it). During the previews he used his to send some text messages and I jotted down some memos nearly the same amount of time used. Both installed 1.03 pre updates (his was sold in white box mine in black box). This adds one more thing for me to question 1.03 actually being installed on mine. Here are the reasons I think this:

I saw the blog posts about 1.03 being out so I opened the update app and waited for it to tell me there was a new update. I clicked to have it download (wifi on so it went pretty quick). The button at the bottom I could click to install it. However I didn't click it and stepped away from it to go to the bathroom or something insignificant fully intending to click to have it install when I came back to it. Here I found that the update app was closed. I found this to be odd. Because you have to choose not to install before it forces the install so it couldn't have installed it by itself. And if I recall when the previous update process I had to click a button to have it reboot the pre after the update finished installing. So I opened update again fully expecting to see the button to install. Instead I get a message I was up to date. So I thought nothing of it and figured maybe it auto installed and rebooted while I was gone that few minutes. So I check the device info it says 1.03. But then after a couple days I hear some apps versions are higher than mine and were installed with 1.03. I compared all the apps versions with my bros and they all match so this compounds my confusion even more. The main things that make me think that the update didn't happen is the battery doesn't last longer and at times seems to drain even faster with no change in usage and the signal still bounces from 0 or 1 bars to 4 or 5 and sometimes inbetween and bounces between 1x and Ev just about as often (connecting to wifi obviously stops the 1x Ev thing but the signal still bounces all over like crazy).
    Based on the experiences that many forum members have reported regarding battery life (myself included). I'm going to suggest giving your Brothers phone a few days to break in the battery and then redo the comparison.
    Also I think you really have to start a good comparison at the same charge level, preferably 100%. The scale may not be perfectly linear--in other words, the difference between 75% and 65% may not be the same as the difference between 50% and 40%.

You should be able to see what version you have running in Device Info.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  4.    #4  
    Not sure if you got confused but it is my pre the battery life is in question since it appears to be draining faster and I've had mine longer. So unless the battery is designed to get worse in short time I doubt waiting days or weeks to see how the battery is on his will be any different. I'll have him tell me how long it takes to go from 100% to 50% and detail what he does during that time. And do the same for mine. So that we have a same point compare. Also checked device info and it says I have 1.03 and so does his but as I described something just isn't right about the update on my pre. For example classic 1.1 is supposedly part of the 1.03 update but didn't update. I had to wait until the update was in the app catalog and update classic from it. Plus others mentioning other apps being different versions than I had. I don't have an official list to compare to.
    Go to this link and vote in the poll. I think you'll find that there are some Pre that get your kind of battery life, and some that get your brother's. And it's fairly evenly split (taking out the outliers).

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...r-10-hour.html
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I've found that the scale is indeed not linear. Even when starting from full, his going from 100% to 90% might not be the same as yours even if the exact same amount of energy is used. The only way to be sure is to go from completely full to completely empty with both Pres and to compare the total time. (My Pre sometimes spends a whopping 9 hours at 100% with light use but goes down really fast after that. My first Pre didn't do that.)
    OP: Do you and your brother have the same types of e-mail accounts set to the same settings? If one of you has an account set to pull often, that could make a huge difference. It'd be interesting to know if there are any differences and what effect those differences may have.
  8.    #8  
    Some more details. 16 hours ago my bros was at 100% and taken from the charger. He made some phone calls one of them as long as an hour or a little more and text something like 25 or more messages. He is down to 75%. 6 hours ago mine was at 100% and I have only sent a few text messages, used the calculated for a few minutes, tried to call a few friends and hung up when I got their voicemail. And mine is down to 70%. I've had mine since launch day and have had to charge it every night and even charged it during the day if the battery was getting low like 30% or less and I wanted to make sure it didn't go dead while I was out. He got his yesterday. It seems to me there is something wrong with my battery or the pre and I hope it isn't the pre as I don't want to have to go through the exchange process let alone lose practically everything on it so far since the backup thing doesn't backup everything.

-----EDIT:-----

He doesn't have his linked to facebook or any email. Mine is set to what I'm told is the best on the battery and that is as items arrive (I'm told this setting the pre doesn't check for mail and the mail server tells the pre when there is mail to get and then it gets the mail). I only get at most a few emails a day. Sometimes as many as a dozen or more depending on what is going on that day.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Have you tried updating your network preferences?
    My phone battery runs down faster than my wife's too. Not sure why.
    updating the network preferences seemed to help.
    I have also found that sometimes I can charge my phone up and it doesn't get hot. Other times it does. I am a little baffled by that!
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    He doesn't have his linked to facebook or any email. Mine is set to what I'm told is the best on the battery and that is as items arrive (I'm told this setting the pre doesn't check for mail and the mail server tells the pre when there is mail to get and then it gets the mail). I only get at most a few emails a day. Sometimes as many as a dozen or more depending on what is going on that day.
    Even if you have it at the optimal settings, it will use more battery than his, which doesn't have those drains at all. How much more will probably depend on how many e-mails you're getting.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ndawes View Post
    Have you tried updating your network preferences?
    My phone battery runs down faster than my wife's too. Not sure why.
    updating the network preferences seemed to help.
    I have also found that sometimes I can charge my phone up and it doesn't get hot. Other times it does. I am a little baffled by that!
    What do you mean by updating network preferences?

Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Even if you have it at the optimal settings, it will use more battery than his, which doesn't have those drains at all. How much more will probably depend on how many e-mails you're getting.
    This is understandable but if he hadn't used his at all and just let it sit, he would have used even less battery (over 1 hour talk time is about 20% of the rated talk time life of the battery) he would have only been down to about 95% instead of 75% over those 16 hours. So what you're saying is by having my pre linked to facebook, google, and yahoo. Having only sent a few text, used the calculator for a few minutes, and gotten no email that the link drains the battery 16 times faster? and this is expected to be normal? I had my blackberry linked to facebook, 3 email accounts, ran 3 IM clients, viigo (checking for new every 30 minutes), and left several other apps running in the back ground; and I would get 36 to 48 hours by the time the battery hit 10% or less with my typical daily use. It has the same exact rated battery as the pre and with my typical daily use minus all the extra stuff running in the background I have to put it on the charger before the day is out. But my brother is getting the expected result I should be seeing on my pre since I'm using it less than he and getting less out of the battery.
    I didn't say your drain was normal, just throwing out ideas as to why you might be getting more drain than he gets. How often are you pulling from yahoo, by the way? There is no push for yahoo, is there? Do you have any im clients open?

One thing I'll say for Blackberries, they have incredible battery life. My gfs curve could go two days without charging with pretty heavy use.
  13.    #13  
    I didn't say your drain was normal, just throwing out ideas as to why you might be getting more drain than he gets. How often are you pulling from yahoo, by the way? There is no push for yahoo, is there? Do you have any im clients open?

One thing I'll say for Blackberries, they have incredible battery life. My gfs curve could go two days without charging with pretty heavy use.
    My bad it seemed you were implying that it was. Checking in the settings on my device. I'm connected to google talk. I don't use it since none of my friends use it any more, so I can disconnect from it. I guess by default the pre signed my in as I don't recall adding it in the messaging app. Both Gmail and yahoo are set under sync section show email 1 day and get email as items arrive. I was told as items arrive is so the pre doesn't check for mail and only does something when the email server tells the pre there is mail to get.

Screen brightness is turned all the way down and set to turn off after 30 seconds. Are there any other settings I have not mentioned that I could change that I perhaps may not have changed?
    My bad it seemed you were implying that it was. Checking in the settings on my device. I'm connected to google talk. I don't use it since none of my friends use it any more, so I can disconnect from it. I guess by default the pre signed my in as I don't recall adding it in the messaging app. Both Gmail and yahoo are set under sync section show email 1 day and get email as items arrive. I was told as items arrive is so the pre doesn't check for mail and only does something when the email server tells the pre there is mail to get.

Screen brightness is turned all the way down and set to turn off after 30 seconds. Are there any other settings I have not mentioned that I could change that I perhaps may not have changed?
    Turning off Gtalk should help. Also, if you don't absolutely need to have the messages from your accounts separate, you might try forwarding one of your accounts to the other, so you only have one active.

Another battery saver is having wifi ON when you have access to it.
    Next time your brother leaves his phone unattended, switch batteries with him.

Problem solved
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  16.    #16  
    Turning off Gtalk should help. Also, if you don't absolutely need to have the messages from your accounts separate, you might try forwarding one of your accounts to the other, so you only have one active.

Another battery saver is having wifi ON when you have access to it.
    When I'm at home I connect wifi, but I've noticed that it goes to sleep or something when the screen is off so every time I go to use the pre for something it has to reconnect and does so after the screen comes on. It may be specific duration of idleness or perhaps when it locks.
  17.    #17  
    Update: The results of removing google talk only added 2 hours so I get 8 hours of total with no use of the pre from 100% to 75% compared to my bro who got 16 hours and had 1 hour talk time etc so if he had not used his it would have only gone down to 95% for that same time. So mine is still draining 10 times faster. Has to be something wrong other than account connections and signal. The signal had stabilized prior to the test at the typical 2 or 3 bars I always got on my previous phones including my blackberry (which has the same rated battery as the pre). So the question is do I have a defective battery or pre? I ran the interactive test for charging but it appears to just test that the pre is connected and not if it is drawing power correctly or if the battery is good.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post

Problem solved
    Love it!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post

Problem solved
    Seriously - you should try this so we can figure out if it's a hardware problem or a battery problem.
    So the question is do I have a defective battery or pre?
    It would be easy to eliminate the battery as the cause by trading batteries with your bro for a day or two.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast