View Poll Results: What is your battery's discharge rate?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • I get 8-10 hours of battery life, so a roughly 10%/hour discharge rate.

76 37.81%
  • I get 16-20 hours of battery life, so a roughly 5%/hour discharge rate.

88 43.78%
  • I get less than 8 hours or more than 20 hours of battery life.

37 18.41%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For those folks who've had their Pre for at least a week:

I know, I'm exceeding my quota for creating polls, but this battery deal is driving me crazy. I've read enough accounts, I think, to start thinking that maybe there are two basic experiences that people are having with their Pre. Either they get about 8-10 hours of life, or they get 16-20 hours of life, equating to either a roughly 10%/hour discharge rate or a roughly 5%/hour discharge rate.

I'm creating this poll to see how closely this might track with reality. Please only respond if you've taken a little time to track this fairly closely.

Note that I'm not sure it really matters how one uses their Pre, including what applications are open, how email is configured, etc. I'm thinking this might be a hardware issue, perhaps related mostly to reception issues.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I'm inclined to think that setting up your email to push if you're in an area that doesn't get a strong EV signal will deplete your battery pretty quickly. What I can tell you is that my phone depletes at a slightly slower rate than either of the two you listed but I hardly use the phone at all. The majority of the time it's just idling.
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    I voted for 16-20, though it varies. Since the first day, I have not gotten less than 12 with heavy use, but usually it lasts over 16 hours.
    Heavy - 12h
    Light - 20h+
    My battery has a split personality..

When Im at work the phone is voice roaming and 1x data and its discharging @ 10% an hour..luckily I can charge off my desktop and I leave work topped off. (6am- 430pm)

At home, around town and on the weekends I am happy with the performance I can go pretty much all day with a lot of data use Pandora, Web etc without charging till evening.(8am - 9-10pm)
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Light usage today. I left home at 8. It is now 1:35 eastern and I'm showing 90% still.
    I voted for 5%/hr, but it really varies. If I listen to Pandora, all bets are off. Today though, I've had it off the charger for 5 hours and it's only down to 88%. I've had 1 5 minute phone call and received about 35 emails (didn't actually respond to any on the phone).
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I average 3-4% with my regular daily usage. I always have my email, messaging, tasks, memos, and calendar open. When idle overnight it's less than 1%/hr.
    At 12:00PM battery level 91% w/ 0 cards opened
    Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS radios all on

I proceeded to open 18 cards. Including, email w/ 2 accounts, Tweed, Facebook, 3 websites, NY Times, AP News, Fandango, SMS, Google Maps, App Catalog, Accu Weather and a few others I can't remember right now. NOT Sprint Navigation.

At 6:25PM battery level is 59% w/ all 18 cards still open. Made several phone calls and Tweets, emails and texts as well.

12:01AM
    after 12 hours w/ 18 cards open and numerous phone calls plus Wi-Fi, bluetooth and GPS enabled:

Battery at 23%

For a total of 68% battery consumption in 12 hours w/ moderate voice usage. Not the best battery life I've ever seen but I think it's safe to put to bed any worries about leaving cards open excessively draining the battery.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
  10. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    have yet to have my battery last longer than 8 hours
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
  11.    #11  
    Keep the votes coming, folks. Need to see if this trend continues.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Today:
    GPS off, Wifi off, daily reset, gmail push, screen brightness to minimum, screen shut off after each use.

Off charger at 7:15 @ 100%
    first hour on airplane mode
    20 minutes playing mp3's at full volume (wired headset)
    checked my facebook about 3 times, one page load per check
    received about 4 or 5 emails
    wrote and sent 2 very short emails
    received 3 or 4 calls which i let go to vxmail
    checked my rssi 2 or 3 times

Battery at 60% @ 12:45 with what I consider light usage

40%/5.5= 7.27%/hour
    ~13.75 hour battery life (excluding that it shuts off at 10%), so probably about 12.4 hours

----
    Excluding the mp3 usage:
    96% @ 8:15
    40% @ 12:45

56%/4.5 hours = 12.44%/hour
    ~8 hour battery life (excluding that it shuts off at 10%), so probably about 7.25 hours. And I didnt even get an sms yet today which is very rare. How much less time would it have if sending/receiving 5-10 sms' per day? This is pretty close to what I've experienced daily as the Pre has to go straight to the charger after work as its always dead or giving me low battery warnings. Its really hard to have less usage than I am describing and if this thing has to be tethered to a power source everywhere I go I might as well just have a landline instead.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    my phone idles around 5-10% per hour (it changes, for unknown reasons... I am not moving around) I don't know what to put on your poll though, because my battery life is so erratic.

I have yet to actually heavily use my phone, because I am afraid to drain the battery :-/

I am going to play music, browse the web, and send texts for the next few minutes, and report back here
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    my phone idles around 5-10% per hour (it changes, for unknown reasons... I am not moving around) I don't know what to put on your poll though, because my battery life is so erratic.

I have yet to actually heavily use my phone, because I am afraid to drain the battery :-/

I am going to play music, browse the web, and send texts for the next few minutes, and report back here
    The poll's not perfect by any means (I left out a whole chunk of folks who might be getting between 10-16 hours a day), but it's definitely coming out pretty much as I expected. I'm seeing two distinct groups emerging, and I'd guess that your experience fits more in the 10%/hour group.
    I get 13 - 15 max and about 9 - 10 average.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    okay, so, actually using my phone (granted for only 10 minutes) extrapolates to 30% per hour.

so, with a 12 hour day, if I lose 7% per hour average, doing nothing... and 30% per hour while using the phone.. that gives me (since the phone shuts off at 5%)
    ...calculating...................
    30 minutes of use, if I want my battery to last the whole day..

(0.5 hr * 30%/hr) + (11.5 hr * 7%/hr) = 95.5%
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I can't vote because I'm getting 54+ hours on a charge. What is that, less than 2% per hour?
    I changed my work email from pop to imap, and it changed my world. My battery life more then doubled. I think it may be the key to longer battery life!
    I get 8-10n hours with moderate to heavy use.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    If I don't use the phone, I get a drain of 2% an hour (roughly 3 days of battery). Moderate usage, I'd say I get over 20+ hours.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast