View Poll Results: What is your battery's discharge rate?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • I get 8-10 hours of battery life, so a roughly 10%/hour discharge rate.

    76 37.81%
  • I get 16-20 hours of battery life, so a roughly 5%/hour discharge rate.

    88 43.78%
  • I get less than 8 hours or more than 20 hours of battery life.

    37 18.41%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 78 of 78
  1. fretless's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #61  
    I use 3-4% per hour on average while texting/emailing/surfing and using basic apps. Adding several voice calls, Pandora, and location-aware apps or light Sprint Nav usage and I'm up to about 6% per hour. In the last 3 weeks I've never had to recharge before bedtime.

    No MS Exchange
    No IM accounts
    Gmail (as arrives)
    Auto Locate=on
    GPS=on
    Geotags=on
    BDC=off
    Screen Brightness=30%
    WiFi=on, but no connection while at work
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    i think my numbers are totally upto what i do.. yesterday i looked @ a couple of utube videos, a number of emails and made plenty of calls, after 9 hours i was @ 20% but on a day that i only do twitter a few pics and maybe 1 video and surfing after 9 hours i'll be sitting 40-60%
    That's absolutely true for me. A couple of days ago I was able to get about 5% per hour by using the phone very minimally. Yesterday I got about 10% per hour using it normally (which, for me, includes quite a bit of reading on websites, multiple hours).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  3. bbr
    bbr is offline
    bbr's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #63  
    Has anybody had absolutely terrible battery life and gotten a new battery that fixed it (whether palm or seido)?
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    That's absolutely true for me. A couple of days ago I was able to get about 5% per hour by using the phone very minimally. Yesterday I got about 10% per hour using it normally (which, for me, includes quite a bit of reading on websites, multiple hours).
    The thing for me is this: I don't really care what the Pre's battery life is in general. That's what car chargers, "emergency" chargers, extra batteries, etc., are for. What I'm personally concerned about is if my particular Pre has an issue that is causing it to get inferior life. So, if there were some way to verify a baseline, I'd be all for it.

    Problem is, it's very difficult to establish that baseline because usage patterns, configuration, etc. is so different. And, when I say that, I mean difficult for Palm as well as for us. Would love some sort of benchmark that could run on the Pre and normalize testing, but we don't even have a Facebook app yet.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5. #65  
    I charged the battery during night and when it is 100% take the plug out (like at 10pm). In the morning, next day, I found the battery is at 54 %. This has happened twice in a row in past two days.
    - I dont sync to any emails.
    - GPS is off.
    - screen brightness is at the lowest (although I did not use the phone during the whole night so dont know how this can matter).
    - wi fi was off too, I dont keep it on all the time - only when I am near a wifi AP.
    - receive signal strength (evdo) is -36db at my home, which is very good.

    I am simply baffled why this phones battery would get drained so much (like become half) overnite when it has not been used for any reason?
  6. #66  
    I go through about 20% each hour of normal business/personal use. I would say I'm a pretty average user. Sometimes I zip thru some email for about 5 minutes and can be down 10% already. Thus the reason I have a charger or Touchstone in almost every room I use.

    --Texting
    --Email sync every 5 min
    --Screen brightness low
    --wifi off mostly (even though I tested the "wifi can help batt life" suggestion
    --receive strength average
    --Auto locate/gps/auto tags off
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by deanandbek View Post
    I go through about 20% each hour of normal business/personal use. I would say I'm a pretty average user. Sometimes I zip thru some email for about 5 minutes and can be down 10% already. Thus the reason I have a charger or Touchstone in almost every room I use.

    --Texting
    --Email sync every 5 min
    --Screen brightness low
    --wifi off mostly (even though I tested the "wifi can help batt life" suggestion
    --receive strength average
    --Auto locate/gps/auto tags off
    E-mail syncing every 5 minutes is probably a huge reason why your battery is draining so fast. Have you tried "as items arrive" or a bigger time interval between syncs?
  8. #68  
    As items arrive is the other I bounce back and forth with. Haven't seen much difference. I may try the bigger time interval next week and see what happens. I'm sure that would help somewhat but with a phone this great, I should be able to get my email as items arrive and not worry! I'm sure Palm will address the battery issue somehow down the road. For now, even with minor speedbumps and glitch or two, who doesn't love the Pre! :-)
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon84 View Post
    I cant believe it but I actually fixed my battery drain issue! I had 7% an hour drain with everything turned off, every tip followed to the extreme. I had two email accounts, a gmail set to push and an earthlink set to check every six hours. The earthlink was POP and therefore has no option to get email as it arrives. I deleted the earthlink account and BAM, problem fixed. Its been an hour and a half and Ive only lost 2%! Please give this a shot: delete any account that cant "push" email and see what happens, let me know if this helped anyone.
    Okay, tried this: deleted all of my POP email addresses, set the rest (Yahoo, Gmail, and EAS) to get email as it arrives, and there's no different. I'm still experiencing a discharge rate of 10%/hour. Started at 70% at 11:30am, at 2:30pm I'm at 40%.

    Very strange.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Okay, tried this: deleted all of my POP email addresses, set the rest (Yahoo, Gmail, and EAS) to get email as it arrives, and there's no different. I'm still experiencing a discharge rate of 10%/hour. Started at 70% at 11:30am, at 2:30pm I'm at 40%.

    Very strange.
    Is Yahoo IMAP now? I thought you couldn't receive as items arrive with Yahoo as of yet. Have you tried forwarding your yahoo to gmail and then checking only the gmail and eas?
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Is Yahoo IMAP now? I thought you couldn't receive as items arrive with Yahoo as of yet. Have you tried forwarding your yahoo to gmail and then checking only the gmail and eas?
    I knew someone would ask about Yahoo... But, yes, it's IMAP. In fact, here's the server address that the Pre automatically picked up when I pointed to my Yahoo account:

    palm.imap.mail.yahoo.com

    Looks like Yahoo created an IMAP server profile specifically for Palm (whether specifically for the Pre, I don't know). And, the account does receive email as it arrives, just as do Gmail and EAS.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  12. #72  
    I left for work at 5:00am, got home at 2:30pm and my battery was down to 32%...I made no calls, and I probably read 5 articles online, and quickly checked email without reading/replying to any
  13. russellpr's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    #73  
    At night, my battery "discharge rate" is only 1-2% per hour. During the day, with emails/texts and light phone usage, it uses 15% per hour. Heavy usage with Pandora, web, email, nav...can run 25% per hour (multi-tasking rules!). More of a "usage" rate than "discharge"...per the poll.

    So, my battery life...while not great...is certainly not atrocious. Plus, the 1 Amp charger tops it off pretty quick. To me, battery life is a slight annoyance...certainly not a deal-breaker.
  14. #74  
    12 hours yesterday got me from 100% to 5%.
    GPS and location - off
    Screen brightness very low
    Only Gmail set to as arrive.
    30 minutes of calling, 15 texts. Read maybe 3 emails.
  15. klt0042's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #75  
    The only issue I have with the battery life of my Pre is the fact that it depletes at about 1% every 2 minutes while internet browsing. I know that doesn't necessarily sound bad, but in practice it's horrible.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by xml_prgrm View Post
    I am simply baffled why this phones battery would get drained so much (like become half) overnite when it has not been used for any reason?
    How many hours was that?

    Even if you turn the screen off, the machine is still busy doing whatever it does just like it does when you're not using it during the day.

    Ideally, Palm would have it throttle the clock speed down to the lowest setting when idle and after an extended amount of time, have it go to sleep. It's not doing that.
  17. #77  
    Lasted 13 hours mostly outside of the house (about 8% drain per hour) without using any functions and email pulls every 5 minutes on a few accounts. I set the signal to Sprint only but allowed data roaming.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    How many hours was that?

    Even if you turn the screen off, the machine is still busy doing whatever it does just like it does when you're not using it during the day.

    Ideally, Palm would have it throttle the clock speed down to the lowest setting when idle and after an extended amount of time, have it go to sleep. It's not doing that.
    It would be around 10 hours. So in 10 hours, phone sitting idle i.e. doing nothing for the user, it went from 100% to 50%. That is lame..
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions