View Poll Results: What is your battery's discharge rate?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • I get 8-10 hours of battery life, so a roughly 10%/hour discharge rate.

76 37.81%
  • I get 16-20 hours of battery life, so a roughly 5%/hour discharge rate.

88 43.78%
  • I get less than 8 hours or more than 20 hours of battery life.

37 18.41%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IMO I think comparing battery life between users on the forum while WiFi and/or the cellular radio is on is a pointless exercise.

A crappy signal will cause your phone to increase it's Tx strength and there for drain the battery much more quickly regardless of whatever else your doing. Not to mention that an active connection to the sprint network may other things to go on in the background that will very from user to user.

If any meaningful data is to be collected, a controlled study would have to be done with a large batch of random phones. and done in the same location.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    IMO I think comparing battery life between users on the forum while WiFi and/or the cellular radio is on is a pointless exercise.

A crappy signal will cause your phone to increase it's Tx strength and there for drain the battery much more quickly regardless of whatever else your doing. Not to mention that an active connection to the sprint network may other things to go on in the background that will very from user to user.

If any meaningful data is to be collected, a controlled study would have to be done with a large batch of random phones. and done in the same location.
    Agreed, this isn't scientific. But, anecdotally, I've been noticing that there seem to be two distinct groups: people whose Pre run out of life sometime in the afternoon, and people whose Pre runs until the late evening. I'm just trying to see if, again anecdotally, this might be true.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Today with light use, I am burning 3% an hour... but I'm using the Seidio 1350mAh battery. I took it off the charger at 7:00am at 100%, browsed the web a bit on the way in to work, made 2 short phone calls, and sent 7 or 8 texts by 2:30pm--and have 75% charge left.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessX View Post
    Today with light use, I am burning 3% an hour... but I'm using the Seidio 1350mAh battery. I took it off the charger at 7:00am at 100%, browsed the web a bit on the way in to work, made 2 short phone calls, and sent 7 or 8 texts by 2:30pm--and have 75% charge left.
    Okay, well, that doesn't count.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I use my Touchstone at work, and when I get home, I'm doing about 2 hours of web browsing. So from 100% charge at 5pm, I'll pretty much invariably get the 20% charge indicator by midnight or sooner. I'll admit, that's heavy use as I think web browsing is one of the more intensive applications on the phone, but still, this doesn't seem to square with what some people are reporting. I'm in a good signal area, I use wifi at home (maybe I shouldn't), have gmail imap and exchange both set to receive as items arrive. I am not logged into Google Talk or AIM. *shrug*

It's not unlivable, but it would be nice if it was better. The 1350 mAh battery is starting to look good to me.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    During the first two weeks of ownership, I was averaging ~10.5 hours.

That was really heavy use. I was listening to close to 1.25 hours of Pandora (during my commute both ways), a lot of web browsing, ~10 text messages, >20 e-mails pushed from two accounts, a lot of Tweed (especially during the week after the Iranian election), Accuweather several times per day, Sporting News Pro Baseball a lot, and Google Maps with GPS.

In the past few days as I have gotten use to the functionality of the phone and don't need to play with it quite so much and have limited my Pandora use to 20 or 30 minutes, I'm averaging ~20 hours on a full charge.
    "In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

insert crapy old phone here (x3)->Sanyo 4920 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Moto Q -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Okay, well, that doesn't count.
    Haha... didn't vote.
    If I'm actually using the phone I get 6 hours and the thing in DEAD.
    I love the Pre. But my battery life is nowhere near as good as others are reporting. I pretty much feel like I need to have my phone a charger as much as possible.
    I have one office in a big city where the battery holds up much better maybe last 8-10 hours.
    When at my other office in a non-EVDO location with some roaming, I can only have it last 4-6 hours.

I do not use any messenger apps, but do have 2 email accounts that are fetching as received. GPS, screen, location services are all turned off or down to the minumums.

My point is if you live in a good Sprint area, you will get much longer battery life!
    put my vote in at 10-16 hrs.

kinda a large gap to leave out of the survey
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bockscar View Post
    put my vote in at 10-16 hrs.

kinda a large gap to leave out of the survey
    Yeah, noticed that after. But, really, I was looking at the 5%/hour vs. 10%/hour. Seems like those are the two most common results (very roughly).
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    For those folks who've had their Pre for at least a week:

I know, I'm exceeding my quota for creating polls, but this battery deal is driving me crazy. I've read enough accounts, I think, to start thinking that maybe there are two basic experiences that people are having with their Pre. Either they get about 8-10 hours of life, or they get 16-20 hours of life, equating to either a roughly 10%/hour discharge rate or a roughly 5%/hour discharge rate.

I'm creating this poll to see how closely this might track with reality. Please only respond if you've taken a little time to track this fairly closely.

Note that I'm not sure it really matters how one uses their Pre, including what applications are open, how email is configured, etc. I'm thinking this might be a hardware issue, perhaps related mostly to reception issues.
    This should read ONLY POST IF YOU HAVE HAD YOUR PRE FOR A WEEK AND HAVE READ THE POSTS ABOUT CONSERVING YOUR BATTERY LIFE
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    no poll option if your pre lasts between 10 and 16 hours? :P
    Before the 1.03 update, my power was dropping a little more than 1% per hour with light use. Now, it drops about 2% per hour without any use. Not complaining, though. 2% is still great, but it seems strange that the update almost doubled battery use for me.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    no poll option if your pre lasts between 10 and 16 hours? :P
    Yeah, yeah, yeah...
    I was at lunch just now, 2pm-3pm, and decided to take my Pre with me and browse the internet, chat and check facebook.

Well, I brought my charger to work and was topped off at 100%. After one hour of moderate-heavy usage (I used it for about 30-40 minutes of the 60 minutes I had), my battery life dropped from 100% to 70%. IN ONE HOUR!!!!

Heavy users shouldn't expect to get more than 3 hours out of the Pre. That's too bad; I feel like I need to "stay away" from using my phone too much or risk having the battery die; because you never know when you may get an urgent phone call one must keep some battery life remaining for that.

My battery life has been absolutely awful; I surely hope Palm comes out with better power solutions soon.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    okay, so here are the results of tracking my battery life today. teh average rate of discharge for the whole day is 6.44%/hr.

the most interesting data point is at 12:47, where i simply kept tapping the screen, to keep it active. doing only that, with no processes running bumped me up to 24% per hour.

neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    ****. i get 4 hours of usage on my phone.
  19.    #39  
    Pomokey - nice graph, as always! :-)
    nice usage breakdown with battery usage. today was a good day for my pre - off the charger at 8am, had gmail with instant notification and exchange activesync pushing emails to me (total of 50 emails probably). got probably 20 text messages, sent 5 or so emails, used cards for maybe 40 minutes solid (throughout the day) and talked on the phone for about an hour (via BT). i started streaming pandora when I got home (over wifi) in a near zero signal area and was at 18% by 7.

overall, i'm impressed with this, although it should be noted that things were quiet from 8-2 PM with not much screen activity.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast