View Poll Results: How do you usually charge your Pre?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • From the wall

    27 79.41%
  • From a computer

    7 20.59%
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Nrbelex's Avatar
    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
       #1  
    A couple quick question for the electrical engineers out there:

    I've heard that rapidly charging a battery will degrade its long term life. I know that more expensive battery chargers rapidly charge most of the battery, then very slowly finish it off as the battery reaches capactiy (i.e. to get to 80% will take an hour, the remaining 20% could take 3 hours).

    Is this true of the Pre's battery?

    I've also noticed that charging from a computer's USB port is slower than charging from the wall. If charging slowly is healthier for the battery, is it better to regularly charge from the computer or the wall?

    Finally, I've been told to never charge a battery until it is almost completely spent (i.e. don't plug a phone in to charge if the battery is at 80%; wait until it drops to around 20% or so). Is this true and is it pertinent on the Pre?

    Thanks!
    - Brett
    Last edited by Nrbelex; 06/25/2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Doh! My title should read Best, not Bessy ;0
  2. Jayrot's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #2  
    Hi Brett,

    Some of the information you've been told is not accurate anymore since the proliferation of Li-On batteries. Read this article on Lithium-ion batteries, specifically regarding charging procedure and memory effect.

    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery
  3. #3  
    Keep the battery charged as much as possible. Don't let it drain completely, that is bad for Li-Ion batteries. The slow down while charging is not that the charger slows down, but the fact that the voltage difference between the battery and the charger is less, therefore it draws less current, making it charge slower.
  4. #4  
    where is the option for BOTH in this poll.
  5. Nrbelex's Avatar
    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by djdisturbed View Post
    where is the option for BOTH in this poll.
    The point is to pick the one you use most often...

    Brett

Posting Permissions