1.    #1  
    I'm typing this from my 755p (via Opera) which I've used to stream audio content over the past couple of years. I've got an extended battery that just about doubled the capacity of the stock battery.

Even with that, I sometimes struggle to make it through an 8 or 9 hour day with about 3 to 4 hours of streaming NPR internet audio and intermittent use (calls, Monopoly, etc) the rest of the time.

So, that's become the standard by which I rate smartphones' (such as the Pre's) battery life. I don't think I'm the only one since many compare new devices' PIM capabilities to those of a tricked-out Treo - again, judging the Pre's stock capabilities by the Treo's non-stock functionality.

Maybe that's a problem with our expectations, not Palm's products?

Or maybe it's just me? :-)

EDIT: I'm going to start getting podcasts ahead of time and putting them on my device so it can last longer throughout the day. Streaming internet audio, playing via Bluetooth stereo headphones, and trying to go all day, sounds like too much to ask.

Maybe a combination of streaming and advance downloading might be the answer for those who can't charge throughout the day.
    Last edited by west3man; 06/25/2009 at 09:29 AM.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I stream Pandora for about 6-8 hours a day over my bluetooth headset. I have a Touchstone at my desk, which I am at about 4-6 hours of the day, and I go from 7am-11pm with about 10-20% left. If you expect to steam music for a few hours and not have to charge at all, then I would say yes, your expectations are too high. The Touchstone is really fantastic IMO. Even if you are at your desk for a few minutes, you can just drop it on. If you had to plug it in, you likely wouldn't do it just for a few minutes.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Maybe that's a problem with our expectations, not Palm's products?
    I believe you are right - if you think of this as a phone then having the phone die on you before you get home from work is VERY frustrating - but I don't expect my laptop battery to last me 8 hours, and the Pre is MUCH more than a phone...

I was frustrated with what to me appears to be a change in the way the battery life is reported with 1.0.3 - on 1.0.2 my battery died after about 8 1/2 hours, on 1.0.3 its almost exactly the same - but after 4 hours on 1.0.2 my battery life reported to be under 50% - on 1.0.3 it reports over 70%.

My first day on 1.0.3, I was very excited during the day thinking the battery life was improved by hours... then at 5, just like before, phone dies.

Read my whole experience on twitter here: https://twitter.com/#search?q=Battery%20dsackr
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    sorry guys, but i dont think our expectations are too high. the talk time is only around 5 hours and the iphone talk time is around 12. i hate to keep comparing to the iphone, but the two are direct competitors.
    In fact, take a look at the 1st gen iphone specs and compare it to the pre specs
    iPhone Delivers Up to Eight Hours of Talk Time
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    and that link is for the old iphone. i think a lot of people here would be happy with a nonremovable battery and 12 hrs of talk time.
  6.    #6  
    I'm going to start getting podcasts ahead of time and putting them on my device so it can last longer throughout the day. Streaming internet audio, playing via Bluetooth stereo headphones, and trying to go all day, sounds like too much to ask.

Maybe a combination of streaming and advance downloading might be the answer for those who can't charge throughout the day.
    on my treo 700wx even with the standard battery I could talk a few hours and stream radio a couple hours and web surf some and still come home with 30% battery. I played 20 minutes of mp3's last night and ate 30% of my battery (50% to 20%) and I barely made it home with a working phone. This was with little to no use until then, just some basic texting and a few phone calls.

I do expect better than that. I don't need a nuclear reactor in the thing, but it should last a 12 hour day with some basic use. right now I don't know if the thing would last a bike ride playing mp3s.

EDIT: I still love the phone though. no regrets. WAY better than my treo.
    Last edited by Funky Cricket; 06/25/2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: cause i wanted to
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I stream Pandora for about 6-8 hours a day over my bluetooth headset. I have a Touchstone at my desk, which I am at about 4-6 hours of the day, and I go from 7am-11pm with about 10-20% left. If you expect to steam music for a few hours and not have to charge at all, then I would say yes, your expectations are too high. The Touchstone is really fantastic IMO. Even if you are at your desk for a few minutes, you can just drop it on. If you had to plug it in, you likely wouldn't do it just for a few minutes.
    Agreed. In fact, I logged on specifically this morning to share my battery life story.

Same phone since 6/5/09.

1 dead pixel.

Little to no "wobble" because I'm not dicking around with it all the time trying to see how loose it is. The slider has been opened 104 times since last week (I did a "warm" reset before I upgraded to 1.0.3 and that obviously reset the counter.)

Signal slightly less than I had on my 755P.

Upgraded to 1.0.2 the day after I bought it, then 1.0.3 last week. No noticible differences in battery life.

Battery life has continued to get better as time goes on.

I have two Touchstones and a car charger. The lowest I've ever let the power level get was about 15%. 90% of the time I never let it get below 70% because I have the Touchstone on my desk and every time I'm through using it at the desk it goes back on like it's a dock.

Same for home. I'll mess around with it but put it on the Touchstone overnight.

For the past 4 days, I've taken it off the Touchstone at work, at 100% charge, and used it normally but didn't recharge just to see how things were these days.

Last night, I took it off at 7:00p when I left my office. I listened to Pandora all the way home (30 min) with it plugged into the aux input in my car and running it through the sound system. Not bad for incredibly compressed audio.

At home, I went through emails for about 1/2 hour, with a number of them containing large attachments I needed to download. Was texting with a couple of people on and off during that time.

Was on the phone for about an hour total (voice). Granted, I have a great signal at my house because I live 100 feet from a Sprint store and you don't think they'll have crappy signals THERE, do you?

Plotted some directions for a weekend trip...took probably 15 minutes and set it up in Navigation.

Watched some stuff on Sprint TV for about 10 min.

Went to bed....and left it off the dock.

This morning, I've caught up on email, made two short phone calls and ran it through the "quick tests" just for grins....then did the hardware test to get the slider number for you.

As of right now....9:37am (so, 14.5 hours from the undock) I have 54% of my battery. So, it's back on the Touchstone.

The moral of this story is that these batteries (as mentioned numerous times on here before) do NOT require deep cycling. In fact, letting them go all the way down and fully recharge is bad for them.

Keep them topped off as often as you can, and then when you really DO need some battery life, you'll have it.

By the way....the Apple boys here at the office are in awe and already saying "but version 4 will have multi-tasking like that!!" The truth is, the iPhone is a phenomenal toy and audio/video plaything. It sucks as a phone and a "duty" tool. Is the Pre perfect? Not by a long shot, but that's mostly a lack of software that I like and miss. But for its few foibles, I think it's a home run. In fact, a Grand Slam (now just $3.99) when you consider it's a Gen 1 offering. Web OS freakin rocks.

BJ
    Quote Originally Posted by samid View Post
    sorry guys, but i dont think our expectations are too high. the talk time is only around 5 hours and the iphone talk time is around 12. i hate to keep comparing to the iphone, but the two are direct competitors.
    In fact, take a look at the 1st gen iphone specs and compare it to the pre specs
    iPhone Delivers Up to Eight Hours of Talk Time
    This comparison is not entirely correct - the 12 hour talk time is for 2G talk not 3G talk - 3G talk is 5 hours on the iPhone (Streaming data over 3G should be about the same I would imagine) so that is right on par with the Pre

What really upsets is that I can use an iPhone as an iPod for 30 minutes and not see a drop in battery (24hr rated iPod Music playback) - doing so with the Pre costs me 10-15% of battery.

I am sure the software just needs to be optimized, Apple had 10 years to get it right, so I am not worried about.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmous1 View Post

Little to no "wobble" because I'm not dicking around with it all the time trying to see how loose it is. The slider has been opened 104 times since last week (I did a "warm" reset before I upgraded to 1.0.3 and that obviously reset the counter.)

BJ
    How do you get a count of how many times you open the slider?
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcorrado View Post
    This comparison is not entirely correct - the 12 hour talk time is for 2G talk not 3G talk - 3G talk is 5 hours on the iPhone (Streaming data over 3G should be about the same I would imagine) so that is right on par with the Pre

What really upsets is that I can use an iPhone as an iPod for 30 minutes and not see a drop in battery (24hr rated iPod Music playback) - doing so with the Pre costs me 10-15% of battery.

I am sure the software just needs to be optimized, Apple had 10 years to get it right, so I am not worried about.

And remember, the iPhone is based around usage that is 100% media (audio, then video). Everything else has been thrown in the kettle as an afterthought. Pre (and WebOS) aren't designed to do the same things and a (nearly) dedicated media player.

IMHO the Pre is already a better multi-function tool.

bj
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetaman View Post
    How do you get a count of how many times you open the slider?

Device info
    More info
    (press "hardware" at the top)
    Touch Preferences in the top left corner
    Press interactive tests
    Press Hardware Buttons
    Follow the prompts.

enjoy

bj
    When I consider how much I use my Pre and with all it can do I am really amazed by battery. Granted a stock 1350 battery would have been better, but considering the size of the battery and the short amount of charging time, the Pre is pretty kick ***. I know the power user may have a different opinion though. I am waiting for the day when there is a 3500mah battery that is the same size as the 1100.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    times you open slider instructions:
    go in the launcher and find 'device info'
    tap 'more info'
    tap 'preferences -> interactive tests'
    tap 'hardware buttons'
    go to step 2 and read the count
    I'm at 1668, after owning the phone for about 2 weeks.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I'm going to ask Sprint for a new battery. I don't use GPS, wifi is off 95% of the time. Bluetooth is off. I'm not surfing the web more than maybe 5 minutes every couple hours. I'm sending just a dozen SMS text messages and Gmail is set to push. I have two Windows live mail accounts set to check once per hour. I don't listen to music or Pandora generally (scared of killing my battery) and I use Evernote to journal every hour or so for a few minutes. Last night I had Evernote open for an hour and my battery power plummeted; I put my phone in airline mode in hopes that I could survive the rest of my meeting. As the meeting was wrapping up my phone was vibrating telling me the battery was DYING.

I did almost nothing with the phone yesterday, it seems. Maybe I was in a place with low cell reception and that killed my battery. That is pretty much a deal breaker. Maybe I should expect my phone to die if I'm actually using it a ton--but on stand-by most of the time it should make it through 24 hours right?

I also wonder if Evernote is killing my battery because it requires cloud-sync every time you edit or something like that.

It sounds like everyone is having different battery experiences. I was always pleased with my 700wx battery-life, although I didn't use web-data at all. It could last almost 2 full days, if I remember correctly.

I DON'T EVEN WANT TO KNOW WHAT SPRINT TV WOULD DO TO THE PALM PRE BATTERY. Features that don't fit the conceptual model... gotta luv it. If I'm plugged into a wall, why wouldn't I have a screen larger than 3.5" handy and probably more viewing options. They must think I spend my entire life in a airport.
    Last edited by caj27; 06/25/2009 at 11:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcorrado View Post

yup.
    http_anandtech.com_weblog_showpost.aspx?i=611
    talk time:
    Apple iPhone 3G - 289 minutes
    Palm Pre -312 minutes

apple hasn't changed their estimates of 3g talk time on the 3gs.