Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was in the Caymans and although I have international calling (2 dollars a minute) I could not get a phone call. It would always go to voicemail. I could call out and get email but not an incoming voice call. I tried for days contacting sprint international and they couldn't get it to work. BTW- they did try, they were calling me via skype to try and resolve it but nothing... I started to wonder as did they, if it was the actual phone. Has anyone else had the same experience?
    Worked fine for me in Canada.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Yeah, worked for me in Canada. Even got texts.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    See Sprint's international coverage page at nextelonline.nextel.com/en/services/worldwide/internationalcoverage.shtml

For Cayman Islands, you'll need to use a specific set of phones. Whereas for Canada, the Pre should work.

The Cayman Islands, in theory, have CDMA. But, apparently, this is not supported with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    See Sprint's international coverage page at nextelonline.nextel.com/en/services/worldwide/internationalcoverage.shtml

For Cayman Islands, you'll need to use a specific set of phones. Whereas for Canada, the Pre should work.

The Cayman Islands, in theory, have CDMA. But, apparently, this is not supported with the Pre.
    When in Caymans you can dial out because you are INSIDE their network.. The US network must know you are in a different network to reach you with a call. There used to be a number to dial to do that.. I don't know if they do that anymore.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    On a side note, alot of cruise ships can relay cell calls from just about any network, but they only have the equipment on when at sea... It's still not cheap, but it's interesting tech, and can be a lifesaver when your away on vacation....
    Will the Pre work in China/Hong Kong? I guess it won't and it is one of the things that is holding me from buying the pre.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    this phone won't work on a GSM network
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    Will the Pre work in China/Hong Kong? I guess it won't and it is one of the things that is holding me from buying the pre.
    i know the centro does (and in mexico too), even though sprint will tell you it will not. still don't understand what the story is with that..... but i can't imagine why the pre wouldn't work if the centro will....
    Will it ever have a GSM version for the US? Anybody knows or can speculate?
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    .....or can speculate?
    I speculate maybe for US GSM Pre and yes on US GSM WebOS device (not Pre).
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Yeah, I wondering about using the Pre in Japan. I have a trip planned for the end of summer and wonder if I should take my Pre with me? Hard to find any definitive answer on the web. Some sites say no, some say yes. I know a lot depends on the technology (different types of 3G?) and some of the info gets out-dated quickly.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srfcrzy View Post
    Yeah, worked for me in Canada. Even got texts.
    Me too! I even took some screenshots:

As you can see from the Google Maps screen, I was in Montreal, and even took it with me to La Ronde on saturday to find my way around the park. You can also see on the right hand side of the first screen shot I had the Montreal Metro map on there. Very useful to switch cards around to look at the different maps and Google Maps as well. Google Maps was very helpful in finding metro stops, attractions, and even reviews of restaurants.

This was just last week. Worked great!
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaer57 View Post
    Me too! I even took some screenshots:

As you can see from the Google Maps screen, I was in Montreal, and even took it with me to La Ronde on saturday to find my way around the park. You can also see on the right hand side of the first screen shot I had the Montreal Metro map on there. Very useful to switch cards around to look at the different maps and Google Maps as well. Google Maps was very helpful in finding metro stops, attractions, and even reviews of restaurants.

This was just last week. Worked great!
    Dude, La Ronde was awesome. I am jealous right now.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Dude, La Ronde was awesome. I am jealous right now.
    It was pretty awesome! We even stayed for L'International des Feux Loto-Québec at La Ronde which on saturday was Spain's entry. Definitely the best fireworks show I have ever seen!
    Last edited by Jaer57; 06/25/2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: typo
    It was pretty awesome! We even stayed for L'International des Feux Loto-Québec at La Ronde which on saturday was Spain's entry. Definitely the best fireworks show I have ever seen!
    I have only been to La Ronde once, and that was just as Six Flags was converting it over to their brand name. Is it still a six flags park?
    Lets see, that must have been 2002, and I was rocking a Sprint Samsunga460. What a piece of junk (but still one of the best looking phones I have ever owned, if not the best). At least I had digital roaming up there. That was nice.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Well... I don't know about the Pre, but I used a Sprint Palm Centro in Mexico and Argentina without problems (of course, international roaming IS expensive...., but it works)
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    I have only been to La Ronde once, and that was just as Six Flags was converting it over to their brand name. Is it still a six flags park?
    Lets see, that must have been 2002, and I was rocking a Sprint Samsunga460. What a piece of junk (but still one of the best looking phones I have ever owned, if not the best). At least I had digital roaming up there. That was nice.
    The only time I saw a reference to Six Flags was at the entrance and on the web site; they say they are part of the "Six Flags Family", but that's all. It was way better than the Six Flags here in Maryland; lots more to do and bigger overall.

This was my first time to Montreal, but I am a frequent traveler to Ottawa. I have used a Treo 650 and 755p up there before, and they both seemed to work well. The only gripe I have about the Pre's performance, and I also had this problem with my 755p, was that I couldn't go an entire day without a recharge. I had a spare battery with my 755p, but not for my Pre yet. I was carrying a bag with a laptop, so I would hook it up to the USB port occasionally to recharge.

For most of last week I started my day at 8am and didn't get back to the hotel until 8-9pm, and the Pre never made it the whole time. However, I was using it extensively during this time, too; not only was I still in the "playing around" mode with it because I just got it, but I used it alot to find my way around the city with GPS on. A spare or extended life battery would have helped me out, but I didn't have time to buy one before this trip. I'll have one for the next time, though...
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    super jealous, as i am in the fireworks display business and have never been to the montreal event. i hit the pyrotechnics guild international convention every year (even heading up a show there this year) but haven't been to montreal.... yet!
    I'm in Singapore currently and my Pre is picking up 3 bars (very surprising because I didn't think Singapore had any CDMA networks). The phone says I'm roaming and says "International" where the carrier name would normally go. But when I dial a number (local or otherwise) I get a recorded message (in English) that says "The prefix you've dialed is not in service. Please contact our customer care."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast