Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I'm in Singapore currently and my Pre is picking up 3 bars (very surprising because I didn't think Singapore had any CDMA networks). The phone says I'm roaming and says "International" where the carrier name would normally go. But when I dial a number (local or otherwise) I get a recorded message (in English) that says "The prefix you've dialed is not in service. Please contact our customer care."
    Woh really?! Awesome. I'm headed to Singapore next month with some buddies and was just gonna pick up a GSM phone and a SingTel SIM card. Still might do that because you get free calling out to the USA on SingTel.
    I'm carrying my phone overseas just for access to wifi hotspots to check my emails, calendar and such. I have had phones that worked overseas and would never think of using it and getting hit with those roaming charges. I just figure that the Pre is easier to carry than a laptop.
    Is there even a way on the pre to shut off the CDMA radio, but leave wifi on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Is there even a way on the pre to shut off the CDMA radio, but leave wifi on?
    Yes, you can go into airplane mode and turn on wifi, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    Will the Pre work in China/Hong Kong? I guess it won't and it is one of the things that is holding me from buying the pre.
    There is a bit of CDMA in China, so you might/should be able to use the Pre there? Best check w/ Sprint--but make sure you get the int'l dept and someone that knows what s/he is talking about. The Pre will work in Korea (Korea is 100% CDMA) but the first few ppl I talked to in Sprint kept telling me that I'd have to get a int'l phone for roaming there, etc. Data bills out to something like $2 per megabyte (if you're not on their $69 int'l data plan--which is unlimited).
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    Woh really?! Awesome. I'm headed to Singapore next month with some buddies and was just gonna pick up a GSM phone and a SingTel SIM card. Still might do that because you get free calling out to the USA on SingTel.
    I actually brought 2 phones: my Pre and my iPhone. My iPhone is unlocked and I did just what you are planning and bought a SingTel SIM card for it.

However calls to the USA are definitely not free. Call's within Singapore are about 5-6 cents / minute but calls to the USA seem to be in the neighborhood of 50-70 cents / minute (in US money after conversion. I'm estimating by checking my balance after phone calls.)
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Could you really use the pre to get your email in other countries?

I am going to Albania in August---any suggestions on phone service? I need to be able to get calls for business.

Thanks
    I suggest finding a WiFi hotspot to use for e-mailing on the Pre in other countries. Your hotel may have WiFi or it may have plug-in high-speed (bring a travel wireless router to use with it) for free or for a fee, plus there are other places that may have it (coffee shops and whatnot all).

I'd think foreign data would get pretty pricey - phone calls are pricey enough!
  9.    #29  
    You really should call Sprint international to set up everything and make sure the phone will work (888-226-7212). I purchased a data roaming plan which allowed me unlimited email and internet service. Although the fee is 40 dollars a month, they will pro-rate it. I was in the Caymans and the fee was less then 10 dollars for four days. The problem I had there was that I could not get calls, that's why I started this post. I wanted to know if anyone else was having issues, especially in the Caymans islands and with receiving calls. I never could get a call and I don't know if it's my phone or the roaming provider. Sprint international is saying they didn't have any provider issues. I have two days to exchange the phone if it was in fact the pre and not the provider.
  10. enjoyingsilence
    This link may help a lot of you

CDG : Worldwide : CDMA Worldwide

It's the CDMA Development Group's worldwide coverage page. Just click your continent (or where you'll be going), and the country, and you should get some fairly specific info

It's kinda like gsmworld
  11.    #31  
    Thanks, it looks just like what sprint has been telling me. I should have been able to get a call. I could send and receive email and I could make calls just couldn't get one. I just got off the phone with Sprint international. They said to return the phone, which I really don't want to do. Not one dead pixel, barely any slider sided to side action and no light leakage. I just wish I knew if it's the right move. I have to go back for business soon. With the boss who has an iphone...
  12. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by palmit View Post
    Thanks, it looks just like what sprint has been telling me. I should have been able to get a call. I could send and receive email and I could make calls just couldn't get one. I just got off the phone with Sprint international. They said to return the phone, which I really don't want to do. Not one dead pixel, barely any slider sided to side action and no light leakage. I just wish I knew if it's the right move. I have to go back for business soon. With the boss who has an iphone...
    You *could* just pick up a blackberry 8800 world edition for Sprint.. and roam on the gsm networks there.. it would bill to your Sprint account.. assuming your employer is paying your roaming costs anyway.. what difference is it? other than it not being WebOS or a Pre... you'd still get email and data, plus a phone..

Also, with the blackberry 8800 you could unlock the sim slot, and use a foreign sim card for the local country. They do offer prepaid services, no contract etc.. and you don't have to be a "citizen". lol.
  13. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by rickgurri View Post
    Could you really use the pre to get your email in other countries?

I am going to Albania in August---any suggestions on phone service? I need to be able to get calls for business.

Thanks
    GSM Coverage Maps | Albania
    This should answer your question.

Albania uses GSM. I didn't find any info on a CDMA network in albania. You can pick up a unlocked phone, and get a vodafone sim ship, that's prepaid while you're in Albania, with a local albanian number... OR you can one of Sprint's world capable phones, like the Blackberry 8830 or (soon to be released) the blackberry tour, or one of the others on this list :

http://www.nextel.com/en/stores/intl...al_phones.html

You can rent them, buy them..

It depends if you want to pay Sprint's high rate for roaming. Or Vodafone's local rate for calls, texts, and data.
  14.    #34  
    I went in today to exchange the pre. I'll be trying it when I go back to the caymans to find out whether in fact it was the phone or not. Also, Sprint International is sending me a free quad band GSM phone with a sim card for my troubles... I'll take them both when I go out there again and do some testing of my own.
  15.    #35  
    not sure if you're still there but I would think this means you need to dial the country code first. To dial back to the U.S. you need to dial 001areacodethenthenumber
    I was able to make a call with my 755p in the Philppines (GSM country) when i was there, but i could not receive any calls or texts.
    Quick question: I am traveling to Mexico tomorrow and would like to use my Pre at the resort for wifi (twitter, etc) but don't want to get screwed on EV data usage: how do I turn that off so that I don't come home to a huge bill for doing nothing??
    Quote Originally Posted by kramer1354 View Post
    Quick question: I am traveling to Mexico tomorrow and would like to use my Pre at the resort for wifi (twitter, etc) but don't want to get screwed on EV data usage: how do I turn that off so that I don't come home to a huge bill for doing nothing??
    Just keep it on airplane mode and turn wifi on.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Actually data charges in Mexico are very very cheap. I was very surprised like .002/kb or something ridiculous like that, check it out on the sprint website last time I was there I used it for basic stuff reply email, a little browsing and aim. My bill was not bad at all, but call sprint just to be sure
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12