Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK so I was using a iphone last night and really when you stare at a iphone for like 30 min and then turn to the screen of the pre, the pre feels like a high def screen compared to the iphone but anyway, that asside I really loved the feature on the iphone where if you misspell something and want to go back you can just drag you finger accross and it shows a zoomed in view in a bubble obove the typing. Do you think we will ever get something like that on the pre. I'll keep my fingers crossed for yes.
    It has a similar feature without the bubble. You hold the orange button and slide your finger back and forth to move the cursor. It doesn't matter where you slide your finger either. I'm sure they could add a zoomed view, but there would have to be demand for it. In my opinion, I like it not being zoomed.
  3.    #3  
    Ya I know it has that feature on the iphon is deff nicer and I hate the fact that I have to slide open the keyboard in order to do that.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickerZ View Post
    It has a similar feature without the bubble. You hold the orange button and slide your finger back and forth to move the cursor. It doesn't matter where you slide your finger either. I'm sure they could add a zoomed view, but there would have to be demand for it. In my opinion, I like it not being zoomed.
    That's pretty neat. I don't like having to press a button to be able to move the curser though. But it sure beats the heck out of having to keep tapping the screen to get it where you would like lol
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    Ya I know it has that feature on the iphon is deff nicer and I hate the fact that I have to slide open the keyboard in order to do that.
    Well, unless you have some sort of onscreen keyboard, your keyboard has to be open anyway, doesn't it?
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    If your moving the cursor to edit text, wouldn't you already have the keyboard open?
    On a similar note, I have an ipod touch and the predictive text never seems to work right for me. Maybe it's just me and I use lots of weird words, but I find myself having to correct much less on the Pre than the iPod. It's also handy that I can change the word list for the auto-correct incase I ever do come across something I don't like or need to add.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the predictive text? or a virtual keyboard for that matter...
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    On a similar note, I have an ipod touch and the predictive text never seems to work right for me. Maybe it's just me and I use lots of weird words, but I find myself having to correct much less on the Pre than the iPod. It's also handy that I can change the word list for the auto-correct incase I ever do come across something I don't like or need to add.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the predictive text? or a virtual keyboard for that matter...
    +1

I have an iPod Touch and I don't like predictive text (it's wrong more often than it's right and the Apple auto-corrections really bug me) and I prefer the physical keyboard over the virtual one (but I loved Graffiti and have dreams of that being a part of my mobile experience again some day).
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    If your moving the cursor to edit text, wouldn't you already have the keyboard open?
    yes but stuff needs to be done as simple as possible on phones and holding a button while doing something else on the screen is not the easiest way to do things
    It's also handy that I can change the word list for the auto-correct incase I ever do come across something I don't like or need to add.
    You're talking about the ipod touch right? Not the Pre? If you are talking about the Pre, how do we change it?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    OK so I was using a iphone last night and really when you stare at a iphone for like 30 min and then turn to the screen of the pre, the pre feels like a high def screen compared to the iphone but anyway, that asside I really loved the feature on the iphone where if you misspell something and want to go back you can just drag you finger accross and it shows a zoomed in view in a bubble obove the typing. Do you think we will ever get something like that on the pre. I'll keep my fingers crossed for yes.
    Is this a function of the newer iPhone OS 3.0, or does it work with v2.2.1?
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    If I could have one thing from the iPhone, it would be a GSM chip. I don't mean that I want a GSM Pre. I like Sprint and CDMA. But I would like to have a GSM chip in there as well to be able to roam virtually anywhere in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    You're talking about the ipod touch right? Not the Pre? If you are talking about the Pre, how do we change it?
    I'm talking about the Pre. Your Pre needs to be rooted and there is a text file that just has a simple <what you said>:<what you meant to say> format.

Rooting your Pre:
    pre dev wiki: Enable Root Access

Modifying word list:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...e-upgrade.html
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I hate the orange key press to move the cursor. It is impossible to get to something at the edge of the screen. Iphone/touch are much better and I hope palm improves this. It is annoying.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
    I hate the orange key press to move the cursor. It is impossible to get to something at the edge of the screen. Iphone/touch are much better and I hope palm improves this. It is annoying.
    I'm not sure what you mean. You can slide your finger anywhere on the screen to change the location of the cursor. Why would the edge of the screen be impossible? I agree it could be smarter, like going one letter at time for a short swipe and one word at a time for a long swipe, but I have gotten used to using the orange and shift keys. Just need to be able to select uneditable text.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    ...Just need to be able to select uneditable text.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I agree it could be smarter, like going one letter at time for a short swipe and one word at a time for a long swipe, but I have gotten used to using the orange and shift keys. Just need to be able to select uneditable text.
    Agreed on both accounts, and this is something I'm expecting pretty soon, really. I think Palm understands that things aren't where they need to be in this respect, and they'll fix it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I really loved the feature on the iphone where if you misspell something and want to go back you can just drag you finger accross and it shows a zoomed in view in a bubble obove the typing.
    The magnifying is workaround for a problem that could easily have been solved with a directional pad. Steve Jobs hates buttons so they have a dopey magnifying glass as their "solution".

What annoys me with the Pre is that they have a solution right in front of them and don't take advantage. The phone nipple could have easily been a directional pad for doing precisely what you mention, but instead we have to rely on awkward key combos just to move back 3 spaces because we misspelled something.
    Fortunately with a REAL keyboard, there are fewer mistypes to begin with. I have both an iPhone and a Pre and I will only text on my Pre now, because I am tired of having to review EVERYTHING I TYPED before I hit send. whether it's 3 words strung together by "B"s because I hit the B instead of the space or some god forsaken word that has absolutely nothing to do with what I typed because the phone decided to replace what I typed. I mean I can't even type the phrase "PC" without it replacing it with "OF". I mean come on is Steve Jobs THAT paranoid about windows that he can't program the phrase "PC" in his list of accepted words???
    I want that fingerprint-less coating!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast