Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Goyena's Avatar
    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm frustrated by the impossibility to try out phones in the stores, more particularly smartphones....that is, all except the iPhone.

    In France, we have most every smartphone of this generation out, except for the HTC Hero and the Palm PrPrPr. $Logically$, $before$ $signing$ $up$ $to$ $a$ $two$-$year$ $contract$, $you$'$d$ $want$ $to$ $try$ $the$ $phone$ $for$ $yourself$.

    IMPOSSIBLE. Here's the thing, anywhere you go EVERY SINGLE PHONE, is represented by a ridiculous plastic mock-up.

    All that is, EXCEPT for the iPhone.


    Add to this the fact that all salespeople seem to have only the 3GS as their personal phone (network exclusivity is illegal in France). You can always easily find an actual working iPhone with tons of installed (but demo) apps quite literally everywhere. Here, even a bookstore chain and the grocery stores, which also offer their own type of cell plan, have them.

    Apple's success is self-perpetuating: ignoring other types of marketing strategies, between a phone you just were able to play with (and large tactiles screens are pure fun, especially for a 5 min test drive!) and a phone you've only heard stuff about (sticker screenshot on plastic hull notwithstanding), which would you choose? Don't forget that mock-ups are usually quite crappy...I saw a few HTC Dreams whose screens were so loose they looked like folding phones, not sliders.

    Is this the same in the US? Were there any Pre's setup on the salesfloor to try out? (due to limited availability, I'm thinking...no.)

    I started a little thread on how iPhone vs Pre wasn't Pepsi vs. Coke, because each product was improving because of the high level of competition. Can I take a part of that back? Wouldn't a Pre Challenge be cool? Palm could have a couple of booths (strategically located, read: four bars! Better yet, mobile wifi router) with demo iPhones and demo Pres. You'd have to accomplish certain tasks (or multitasks) to win a kewpie doll or some equivalent. Thoughts?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Were there any Pre's setup on the salesfloor to try out?
    My local Sprint store has two actual PrPrPr&#$275$; $phones$ $working$ $and$ $activated$.

    +1 to your PrPrPr&#$275$; $challenge$ $idea$.
  3. #3  
    I'm not sure the Pre would fare well in such a thing. It's (iphone) just the wrong phone to be up against in a taste test :P

    Better to use a BB, WM, or other smartphone where the Palm stands out more.
  4. #4  
    All Sprint Corp stores in the US carry at least one working phone of each model and most stores that I have been in lately have had two working Pre's setup. There are a select BB and RS that have working model also.
  5. #5  
    well the Pre is not out in Europe yet and in the US until it was released there was not demos anywhere.
  6. Goyena's Avatar
    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm not sure the Pre would fare well in such a thing. It's (iphone) just the wrong phone to be up against in a taste test :P

    Better to use a BB, WM, or other smartphone where the Palm stands out more.
    Ah. Forgot to mention the Challenge should be by Palm, as a way to convince more people to buy a Pre.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
  7. #7  
    My local Radio Shack had a working unit on 6/5 that they let me play with, which helped my decision to buy one from that store on 6/6.
  8. #8  
    Can't say the same for BestBuy. All the ones i've been to all have the plastic fake ones. Matter of fact, the only live demo phone they all had were...you guessed it...iPhones. If i could, i would take a pic of their mobile section and post it. Of the roughly 50 or more phones they had on display, only 3 (iPhones) were live.

    I always now go to a Sprint store directly to demo phones.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  9. zyxwv88's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm not sure the Pre would fare well in such a thing. It's (iphone) just the wrong phone to be up against in a taste test :P

    Better to use a BB, WM, or other smartphone where the Palm stands out more.
    I disagree. BB WM or etc, Pre totally blows out of the water. iPhone it still kicks **** against (if you ignore the things like the app store and some of the bugs that are going to be a non-issue in the next year or so). iPhone has had a few years to polish up, so it looks better for that reason only. It does almost nothing that the Pre can't do. Yes, the App store is a bit sparse by comparison ATM, but iPhone's app store didn't even come into existance until months after the iPhone was released.
  10. grubish's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm not sure the Pre would fare well in such a thing. It's (iphone) just the wrong phone to be up against in a taste test :P

    Better to use a BB, WM, or other smartphone where the Palm stands out more.
    I think this comment makes a lot of sense. However, I would like to think that if your are proud of your product and want your customers to make the right decisions based on usability, having the Pre set up with a Bold, Hero, Iphone and Nokia would be the best option. An informed customer is a much more loyal and longer term customer.

    I knew exactly what to expect with my first Palm phone and researched the crap out of it. Making one trip to a store to look at everything may drive a customer to another service provider but think about it, they would have been mad when they saw the other device anyway.

    When you watch a Kia commercial, they are showing you the benefits of their car over a Civic, then highlighting the cost savings. If someone buys a Civic, it doesnt mean the Kia is crap. It means they decided to pay more money for a product with less features.
  11. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Is this the same in the US? Were there any Pre's setup on the salesfloor to try out? (due to limited availability, I'm thinking...no.)
    I bought my Pre from a non-corporate Sprint store. They had the plastic phone well in advance, but had two working phones by the time the phone was for sale. I went in during off peak hours about 3 days after the phone went on sale. They encouraged me to play with & use the phone.

    I had read some of the original criticisms so I wanted to give it a thorough once over. I used it in the store for about an hour. On this day they were out of stock (as were the other vendors in my area). They had more coming in on a specific date, called me, I came in & used the demo phones for another 30 minutes before buying the Pre.

    Cheers

Posting Permissions