1.    #1  
    Just a warning to anyone that might be silly enough to rely on the Pre's alarm clock...

I'm currently on a business trip out of the country (Singapore). I decided to take my Pre with me to use as my PDA. When I arrived I went into the "Date & Time" time preferences on the phone and set the time zone for Singapore.

Everything seemed to be OK. The status bar and the Clock app both showed the correct time. Well, morning comes and the Pre's alarm clock doesn't go off and I wake up 3 hours late.

Playing with the alarms in the Clock app I see that when I toggle the alarms off then back on the time of my alarms shifts backwards by 9 hours! (Singapore is 15 hours ahead of California which is equivalent to 9 hours behind.) So my 6 am wake up alarm magically turned into a 9pm alarm. Ouch. (Looks like some inexperienced Linux programmer may be using Unix timestamps for the alarms and that's not appropriate for an alarm clock.)

So all I need to do is recreate my alarms, right? Well, I tried that to test it and the alarms still won't go off at the right time. Maybe if I wait 9 hours they'll go off then!
  2.    #2  
    Hmm... Rebooting the phone has made it so that if I recreate the alarms they go off at the proper time.

So to summarize: If you switch timezones while traveling with your Pre you need to do these three things:
    1. Switch timezone in the Date & Time Preferences (may only be necessary if timezone is not updated automatically over the Sprint Network)
    2. Reboot the phone
    3. Recreate all of your alarms

Obviously, this is a huge pain in the **** for those of us that travel frequently.
    The alarm is pretty damn ****ty all around.
    That IS odd. Has anyone else have this happen?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    my only alarm clock problem I have, is if there is a notification that the pre considers to be important, it wont go off. my sister was late for work because the phone decided to ask if she wanted to update to 1.0.3, and apparently that's more important than her alarm clock.

I think it's ridiculous that somethign as simple as an alarm clock doesn't have 100% functionality and reliability before releasing the product.

I am still using my 3 year old phone as my alarm clock, until palm gets this sorted out.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    my only alarm clock problem I have, is if there is a notification that the pre considers to be important, it wont go off. my sister was late for work because the phone decided to ask if she wanted to update to 1.0.3, and apparently that's more important than her alarm clock.
    Ironically, I believe the 1.0.3 update supposedly fixed that issue.

I think it's ridiculous that somethign as simple as an alarm clock doesn't have 100% functionality and reliability before releasing the product.
    Agreed.

I am still using my 3 year old phone as my alarm clock, until palm gets this sorted out.
    LOL!
    Nice!!

I've had the 755p for two years, and in all that time, the notification system never got sorted out enough that I could rely on the notifications going off at particular times...earlier notifications (text messages, task alarms, calendar alarms, etc.) would trump my wake-up alarms such that they wouldn't go off until I dismissed those earlier notifications...which would usually be after I overslept (the few times I relied on it and it failed...).

So instead, for those two years, I've been been carrying my 650 on all my trips for use as an alarm clock.

I've been thinking that with my new Pre, I could hopefully just carry the one phone around, but I've been intending to carry the 755p in case I've forgotten to transfer anything... I should be able to use the 755p maybe as an alarm clock once I clear out all the non-alarm-intended Agendus items (no more text messages to trump my alarms...), so I might finally be able to retire the 650...

:-P
  8.    #8  
    You know the 650 was the last Palm product I've had that I thought was truly good quality all-around. Everything since then it seems has had some sort of problems or another. Lot's of people swear by their Centros so I just bought one for my mother... We'll see how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Nice!!
    cnn.co
    I've had the 755p for two years, and in all that time, the notification system never got sorted out enough that I could rely on the notifications going off at particular times...earlier notifications (text messages, task alarms, calendar alarms, etc.) would trump my wake-up alarms such that they wouldn't go off until I dismissed those earlier notifications...which would usually be after I overslept (the few times I relied on it and it failed...).

So instead, for those two years, I've been been carrying my 650 on all my trips for use as an alarm clock.

I've been thinking that with my new Pre, I could hopefully just carry the one phone around, but I've been intending to carry the 755p in case I've forgotten to transfer anything... I should be able to use the 755p maybe as an alarm clock once I clear out all the non-alarm-intended Agendus items (no more text messages to trump my alarms...), so I might finally be able to retire the 650...

:-P
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Can anyone who's traveled between time zones in the U.S. (while an alarm is set) comment on whether this is affected by the time automatically changing based on local cell towers?

Thanks
    Brett
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbelex View Post
    Can anyone who's traveled between time zones in the U.S. (while an alarm is set) comment on whether this is affected by the time automatically changing based on local cell towers?

Thanks
    Brett
    I just recently traveled from Eastern to Central. I don't know about the alarms in the Clock app, but all of my appointments changed in the calendar. It did it automatically, without restarting the phone or anything.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Even without swtiching timezones, the Pre alarms don't seem to always go off.

I have TreoAlarm on my 755, and it is without doubt the finest alarm program I have ever seen. Bulletproof, works every time, very easy to use and easy to confirm the alarm will work.
    I had a similar issue happen to me over this past holiday weekend. I live in the Central time zone and went to the Eastern time zone for the 4th. I have a 5:30am alarm that's set to only go off on weekends. Yesterday morning, it went off and it was still dark outside... so I glance at the time and it's 4:30am! I do remember doing a soft reset of the Pre over the weekend (didn't touch the alarms) while I was in Eastern time, so I guess this did the trick in moving it up the hour. Pretty crappy imo...
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Hey guys. MY problem has been kind of odd. I tested it out again this morning and it works like this:
    If I have the alarm on for 9AM and it's plugged in charging all night, the alarm won't go off!! BUT if I take off the usb charger and let it sit all night long without getting charged it WILL go off at 9AM!! Just completely odd and kinda frustrating cuz I don't want to let it trickle down at night but I want to use it as an alarm clock.... it needs a hotfix or something....hopefully soon =/