View Poll Results: Should the Pre have been delayed to resolve bugs and missing features?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I'd have been willing to wait, and would forgiven Palm for missing the deadline.

39 25.32%
  • No. I'm glad that Palm released the Pre as it is, and am willing to wait for fixes.

115 74.68%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With all of the complaints about how buggy and incomplete the Pre allegedly is, I thought I'd pose a simple question. Would you rather that Palm had worked out some of these issues and missed their self-imposed deadline of Q209? Or, are you glad they shipped as is, and are confident that they will resolve these issues?

I'm setting aside hardware issues, because frankly I don't think those can necessarily be anticipated or predicted before mass production starts. Initial hardware runs are almost always fraught with issues in any mass produced product.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Look, they need to blunt the blow of the 3Gs. They knew they would have problems - although maybe not this many. Most users are fine and happy. They got GREAT buzz they wouldn't have gotten if they waited.

It's a v1 phone so it wouldn't have had the apps or been bug free anyway. They did the right thing from a business perspective. They need to make whole the folks that got bad hardware and then they should be fine.
    I am convinced they needed to ship when they did. It is my impression that even though there are problems, there are a significant enough positive experiences and hopes to have made it a good business decision.

Also, the sooner it gets into the "wild" the sooner the global support.
    Couldn't be happier, was first with 3G and G1 both had many issues.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Nope. It was in there long enough. Now they can iron out the problems that can only be exposed with public use.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    my head would've exploded if i'd have to wait one more day.
    Pretty darn good out of the gate. Not missing anything that I would have waited for given the option.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    They couldn't have done too much better with the launch and the time they had. Now we wait to see what their next plan of attack is.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Nothing wrong with bringing out a product early if you can be quick to bring in the fixes and updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    Pretty darn good out of the gate. Not missing anything that I would have waited for given the option.
    I agree, they did pretty darn well considering how fast they put the whole Nova platform together. They hardware is not perfect but hey, it works and works pretty well!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    No I don't think so. I wanted this phone when they announced it back in January. If I would have had that Instinct for one more day I think I would have left sprint. Some people have their problem with it but, I'm one of they many that's problem free so yo see where I'm coming from!
    This OS is wonderful for a 1.0 release. Were any of you around for OS X 10.0? Talk about a beta OS being sold as a product.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    This OS is wonderful for a 1.0 release. Were any of you around for OS X 10.0? Talk about a beta OS being sold as a product.
    IMO 10.5 was very beta'ish when it came out. SO many crashes on my MBP, it was awful. Every company has its beta/buggy products, webOS is no exception.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I am still shocked how much is missing in the Pre software. Six months later, we essentially received what was demoed in January. If not filling in the missing features, WHAT HAVE THEY BEEN DOING FOR SIX MONTHS??? They couldn't add a couple of lines to the UI to allow you to select a notification sound? I thought it was so easy to develop in webOS?

Hey ex-Apple Palm employees, PUT DOWN THE IPHONE AND PICK UP A TREO.
    When reception ranks at the top of the bug list for a cell phone, it's time to keep it in the oven.

Reception people!!!!! Reception shouldn't be an issue and i don't care what gen this phone is!!! My 10 year old palm cell gets better reception and drops fewer calls.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    I am still shocked how much is missing in the Pre software. Six months later, we essentially received what was demoed in January. If not filling in the missing features, WHAT HAVE THEY BEEN DOING FOR SIX MONTHS???
    They weren't going to go on stage and show off a clunky broken OS and hope it generates buzz. End users weren't allowed to handle the Pre on their own back then because the "demo" was closer to being an interactive video than an actual finished release. So what they did in the last 6 months is make it usable for the mass market and they succeeded.

I have a lot of opinion on the Pre, but my gripes have more to do with the hardware (specs/durability) and how poorly it measures up to a damn good OS. They may have overlooked a lot of minor features, but those things are fixable in updates. Poor hardware will require us to buy an entirely new device.
    Not knowing what were the last-minute issues that pushed it back from the May date they had given to June, I am glad that they released it when they did. Of course they couldve ironed out some other items, but the time couldve pushed away more developers and more consumers while other manufacturers pull away.

The softare doesnt have any deal-breakers for me so I am glad I have it now!
    I'm glad they distributed it when they did. i have had no problems with the phone. Plus I have the coolest phone in town. I have not had one dropped call, I have received all my email and text messages and have the coolest phone in town. Since I got the phone, there have two updates; how great is that! Plus, did I mention that I have the coolest phone in town.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Heck no, I was getting super impatient waiting for it as it was. I love my Pre and the few bugs aren't enough for me to care.

If you don't think it's ready, you can always switch back to your old phone for 6 months until they have ironed out the issues and then switch back to your Pre.

Personally I think that even with bugs the Pre is the best phone I've ever owned.
    The phone probably needed to release in August. I think Sprint and Palm got spooked by the Iphone 3GS boogeyman rumors. Coupled with the fact that Foxconn and TI both had bad production runs, which lead to the shortage. The build quality not being up to snuff. The SDK not being released which hinders the app store.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast