View Poll Results: Should the Pre have been delayed to resolve bugs and missing features?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I'd have been willing to wait, and would forgiven Palm for missing the deadline.

    39 25.32%
  • No. I'm glad that Palm released the Pre as it is, and am willing to wait for fixes.

    115 74.68%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Hey ex-Apple Palm employees, PUT DOWN THE IPHONE AND PICK UP A TREO.
    I think there's some truth here. While the Pre does resemble its Palm heritage, it could use a refresher dose.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  2. fredc1's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #22  
    Since most of the polls in this forum seem to indicate that most Pre owners, me included, received a trouble free phone with the first purchase, I see no reason for them to have baked this any longer. None of the items on the current bug list have negatively impacted my experience much at all.
  3.    #23  
    So far, we're at 75% in favor of Palm's decision to release the Pre, which is pretty much what I expected. My personal opinion is this: not only was releasing the Pre in its current state a fine idea from a performance/features perspective, but it's also simply what Palm needed to do. Missing the "first half of 2009" deadline would have been a huge mistake.

    And, even had Palm waited, there would STILL have been some feature missing that 25% of the folks in this or any other population would be up in arms over.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  4. DSPKweb's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    #24  
    Definitely glad they brought it out now and overall very pleased with it. I knew going into this that there would be some bugs and quirks to the phone being that is was brand new and revoluntary to the market with the hardware and software. I also know that in the future months it will get even better with refinements and tweaks as well as with more applications to come.

    It has only been a few weeks since the release but it seems like a lifetime. That says a lot about a phone.
  5. #25  
    I wish they would have used more durable components in the build. This phone will not last two years under any level of use. Just wait and see. You may as well send Asurion $100 now to get your back-up Pre ready.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by fredc1 View Post
    Since most of the polls in this forum seem to indicate that most Pre owners, me included, received a trouble free phone with the first purchase, I see no reason for them to have baked this any longer. None of the items on the current bug list have negatively impacted my experience much at all.

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...your-pres.html

    I have found a consistant 35 or so % have had to exchange their Pre because it had issues. +30 is a problem and indicates to me that the Pre needs more baking time especially when reception problems top the list.

    As for the OS, I agree, it's almost there and I LOVE IT. The hardware is another story and cause for concern.
  7. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #27  
    If Palm held on to this any longer then they'd have lost customers. With Apple releasing a new phone and dropping prices, and with Android finally showing new phones then every day they'd hold back would be more customers lost.
  8. H_D
    H_D is offline
    H_D's Avatar
    Posts
    573 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    #28  
    WebOS has been executed perfectly IMHO (with the exception of a few minor features that can be remedied in an OTA update). Poor hardware/build quality/durability, is inexcusable.....
    Follow Me On Twitter: www.twitter.com/YaBoiD
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...your-pres.html

    I have found a consistant 35 or so % have had to exchange their Pre because it had issues. +30 is a problem and indicates to me that the Pre needs more baking time especially when reception problems top the list.

    As for the OS, I agree, it's almost there and I LOVE IT. The hardware is another story and cause for concern.
    Well, a poll here on Precentral.net can't answer any questions other than what's important to people on Precentral.net. It has nothing to do with the general market and simply can't be extrapolated that way. The respondents are all too common (gadget freaks make up the vast majority of people here), they're self-selecting (every person who answers a poll here chooses to do so for some reason rather than being randomly selected) and none of our polls are very scientifically designed.

    I'm guessing that the numbers in that poll are heavily skewed by the fact that people who returned their Pre felt the most strongly about it and thus responded to the poll. Those who didn't likely weren't so concerned and thus are underrepresented. And, of course, it's a tiny sample size in and of itself compared to the 150K or so folks who've purchased Pre--so small as to be statistically insignificant even if it were perfectly designed.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    If Palm held on to this any longer then they'd have lost customers. With Apple releasing a new phone and dropping prices, and with Android finally showing new phones then every day they'd hold back would be more customers lost.
    I think you over estimate the amount of AVERAGE people out there who give a crap about this iphone vs. pre debate. The average person walks into their cell phone provider (like sprint) and asked a sales rep what the best cell phone is and the sales rep, who barely knows what a pre is, says a Pre, and the person buys it. Most people think Android is something from the SCi Fi channel. lol

    Heck, most iphone users I know don't even know what a Pre is and don't care.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    WebOS has been executed perfectly IMHO (with the exception of a few minor features that can be remedied in an OTA update). Poor hardware/build quality/durability, is inexcusable.....
    Do a search on "iPhone 3G S problems" and you'll get a few hits. That device has build/quality/performance issues of its own, just as did the 3G, and just as did the 2G. And all HTC phones, and Nokia, and Blackberry, and... Every device no matter how well-designed has initial manufacturing problems. It's inevitable, because the only way to test the design in a mass production environment is to, well, mass produce it. And nobody does that until they're ready to sell the product.

    The only way to avoid those issues is to wait until they've been worked out in manufacturing.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Well, a poll here on Precentral.net can't answer any questions other than what's important to people on Precentral.net. It has nothing to do with the general market and simply can't be extrapolated that way. The respondents are all too common (gadget freaks make up the vast majority of people here), they're self-selecting (every person who answers a poll here chooses to do so for some reason rather than being randomly selected) and none of our polls are very scientifically designed.

    I'm guessing that the numbers in that poll are heavily skewed by the fact that people who returned their Pre felt the most strongly about it and thus responded to the poll. Those who didn't likely weren't so concerned and thus are underrepresented. And, of course, it's a tiny sample size in and of itself compared to the 150K or so folks who've purchased Pre--so small as to be statistically insignificant even if it were perfectly designed.
    I agree 100% but please note that the person I quoted put some stock into these Precentral polls...

    "Since most of the polls in this forum seem to indicate that most Pre owners, me included, received a trouble free phone with the first purchase..."

    I was showing them that most of the polls here at precentral were showing the exact opposite and that they can't be considered scientific anyway so we agree.

    Still, that said, I am on my second Pre and signal/reception issues are worse than ANY of the MANY palm cell phones I have owned. Sprint offered me a free airave and I have never been offered or needed one until the Pre so we must have a known problem regardless of what the crappy polls state.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    Still, that said, I am on my second Pre and signal/reception issues are worse than ANY of the MANY palm cell phones I have owned. Sprint offered me a free airave and I have never been offered or needed one until the Pre so we must have a known problem regardless of what the crappy polls state.
    I'm actually (unscientifically) leaning toward the idea that there really are reception (or other) problems that are causing some folks to get much worse battery life (roughly half, as far as I can see) than others. It's so darn hard to figure out, because as I said it's self-selecting, but it's a nagging idea that I can't get rid of.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  14. d94
    d94 is offline
    d94's Avatar
    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    #34  
    even with its faults im glad they released it when they did
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm actually (unscientifically) leaning toward the idea that there really are reception (or other) problems that are causing some folks to get much worse battery life (roughly half, as far as I can see) than others. It's so darn hard to figure out, because as I said it's self-selecting, but it's a nagging idea that I can't get rid of.
    It certainly is hard to figure out wyand32...and I'll say it 1000 times...When this Pre works I LOVE IT and think all the minor issues (not reception) are worth dealing with for a while!!! Boy do I love the UI and OS!!!
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...your-pres.html

    I have found a consistant 35 or so % have had to exchange their Pre because it had issues. +30 is a problem and indicates to me that the Pre needs more baking time especially when reception problems top the list.

    As for the OS, I agree, it's almost there and I LOVE IT. The hardware is another story and cause for concern.
    Are you really saying that 52,000+ Pres have been returned? (35% of 150,000 estimated sales would be 52,500).

    I think your estimate is way high.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Are you really saying that 52,000+ Pres have been returned? (35% of 150,000 estimated sales would be 52,500).

    I think your estimate is way high.
    No. We are discussing the precentral polls only and the fact that while they are high (return/issue rates) for a small sample, they can't be considered scientific in any way of course. Read a few more posts and you will be caught up on to convo.
  18. #38  
    I think they should have waited. I was chomping at the bit to get a pre, but was unable to get one at launch time. Since then, following this forum has scared me out of getting one. I simply don't have the time/patience to deal with a product that isn't quite ready for prime time. Also, I'm not one to baby my cell phone. I'm not an abuser by any means, but I do carry in my front pocket and if that's too much, I'm not interested. I was very disappointed to not get one... but for the time being the 3GS is my choice.... my 650 is dying a quick death and I needed a replacement badly. (BTW, my service is company paid, so cost of service in not in the equation).
  19. #39  
    I returned my Pre for this very reason.. I think the Pre has great potential, and WebOS is incredible... but the phone isn't ready for prime time yet. Too buggy, and I can't get past how it feels a bit cheap in my hand.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by t_boy_3 View Post
    I think they should have waited. I was chomping at the bit to get a pre, but was unable to get one at launch time. Since then, following this forum has scared me out of getting one. I simply don't have the time/patience to deal with a product that isn't quite ready for prime time. Also, I'm not one to baby my cell phone. I'm not an abuser by any means, but I do carry in my front pocket and if that's too much, I'm not interested. I was very disappointed to not get one... but for the time being the 3GS is my choice.... my 650 is dying a quick death and I needed a replacement badly. (BTW, my service is company paid, so cost of service in not in the equation).
    You're listening too much to the whiners. Go to the thread asking whose Pre is working fine for them.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions