Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I had read in early reviews, that the calendar was supposedly going to be tied in with the GPS, so that if where you are, does not give you enough time to make it to your next appointment (due to distance and traffic), that the alarm would sound off sooner if needed. Then, the alarm would also provide you with a map and the best route to get to your appointment location.

Does anyone know if this is implemented, as described above or similarly in some way?

If so, how/where do you put the actual address into your appointment for the Pre to know where the appt is versus where your GPS says you are at any given moment?

Thanks in advance...

Robert
    Not yet implemented. Heck, my GPS only works half the time anyway so I don't see how this will EVER be a reliable possibility on this current gen of phone. Add to that, reception issues on the Pre further hinder this.
    That was McNamee exaggerating. 99% of what comes out of his mouth seems to be hyperbole unfortunately.
    I was wondering when this feature was going to come out as well. What a bummer, its not that this was something that I was going to use a lot, but it was the first feature that sold me on the phone when I heard about it.
    If you put an address in your event you can bring up google maps to map it, but as far as the ability to email someone to let them know you are running late, I don't think that was implemented. I also haven't found a way to import an address from contacts, I have to manually type it in. Hopefully it will get an update for that.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    i posted about this last week. i like the other poster was disappointed not to find this feature because i remember thinking 'amazing' when i heard he talking about it. here's the quote

After describing Palm's "synergy" method of combining contacts and calendars from multiple locations McNamee gets into describing the new stuff:

And when you're late -- get this -- when you're late it -- remember, this things has GPS, it has a clock, and it has your calendar. So it not only knows where you are, it knows where you're supposed to be and when; and so when it realizes you're going to be late, it says "Hey, not only are you going to be late, but I can take care of it for you. I'll send an email to your assistant or to the people in the meeting, which would you prefer? And oh, by the way, here's the map." This is the beginning of a new wave.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That was McNamee exaggerating. 99% of what comes out of his mouth seems to be hyperbole unfortunately.
    Especially the Alien technology that is included with the Pre .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    That would of been cool and freaky all at the same time. So would the make it "creaky" or "fool"?
    I don't know if my Pre knew I wasn't going to make it, but for my work appointment today, I *was* going to be late (I was totally driving still).

When the reminder came up, I had the expected two options of roughly "Dismiss" and Snooze, but I also had a third option above them in a dark gray button that said something like "contact attendees", and I clicked it out of curiosity.

It opened up an email addressed to the meeting attendees, and in the message area were, I think, two sentences that I'll try to replicate from memory: "I'm running late. I'm on my way."

I've only had my Pre for a few days, and I've definitely had a few previous appointment reminders, and as far as remember, this is the first one in which I've seen that "Contact Attendees" button.

That sounds pretty much like what Roger described...I don't remember being offered a map, though.

Also...for some reason, I had the impression that I'd have the choice between email and text message for contacting the attendees, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't offered.

:-)

So maybe Roger wasn't just blowing smoke...and maybe that did pop up based in part on GPS info.
    Do a search in your help application for "contact meeting attendees." This type of reminder will come up any time you have a meeting with a reminder that has multiple attendees. Very handy and a nice touch, but it has nothing to do with GPS.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I would just like to be able to set my calendar alarm more than 1 day ahead of the appointment.
    Once the SDK is released, somebody will accept the challenge.
    I'm still convinced that McNamee has seen things in the labs... There really is nothing stopping the Pre from doing this, and I'd be surprised if just this sort of thing isn't what Palm has in mind for Synergy in the long term. It's also the sort of functionality that I can't imagine seeing before WebOS V2. Lots of kinks to work out before they roll something like this to the field.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm still convinced that McNamee has seen things in the labs... There really is nothing stopping the Pre from doing this,
    Poor reception and a gps that works only sometimes work will stop it.

I agree, it would be cool, but again, this current gen of phone just can't and never will be able to reliably do what we are talking about. Maybe 2 more Pre's from here, yes. Not this current hardware though.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    Poor reception and a gps that works only sometimes work will stop it... Not this current hardware though.
    For many of us that is not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    For many of us that is not the case.
    For many of us it is. Have you read the "poor reception" threads? This is a pervasive problem and it hurts all of us because if Palm is still wasting time trying to fix problems that ten year old cell phones don't have, then they don't have that wasted time to spend fixing the smaller problems.

Your children aren't being killed in another country right now so why be concerned.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I wasn't denying the issue's existence. Rather, I was countering your definitive statement about why it can't be done on this generation of the device. There are enough users with good reception and GPS, that enterprising third parties, if not Palm themselves will develop this type of functionality.
    BTW, my family and a number of friends are or have been involved in foreign missions. One of my own kids may end up serving "in the field." Why bring the death of children into a cell phone conversation??? If you only knew...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    I wasn't denying the issue's existence. Rather, I was countering your definitive statement about why it can't be done on this generation of the device. There are enough users with good reception and GPS, that enterprising third parties, if not Palm themselves will develop this type of functionality.
    BTW, my family and a number of friends are or have been involved in foreign missions. One of my own kids may end up serving "in the field." Why bring the death of children into a cell phone conversation??? If you only knew...
    Then you get my point. Being happy that it's not your problem doesn't mean it's not your problem. We agree.