Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    Medialets Blog Archive Speed Test: iPhone 3GS Even Faster than Apple Claims

    Looks like the Iphone 3G S is x3 faster. Can someone actually verify this as I do not think this is at all true.
  2. geogray's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #2  
  3.    #3  
    Well did some digging around Medialets is a company who have built their business around the Iphone Ecosystem and applications.

    So a real world test it is not without the raw data.

    I am just getting sick and tired trying to correct these poor articles and shills. What is wrong with the world - they say they value freedom but as soon as you hear the word apple they lay themselved down at the altar of steve jobs to do his bidding.

    Why do they have to pump out rubbish day in day out. What is with these people? Its a good product not the best but trying to find someting of interest to read in the mobile arean without the discussion boiling down to is it better than the iphone shows me just how low an Iq you now need to become a journalist.

    Where are the Woodward and Bernsteins of the Tech industry?
  4. #4  
    somebody need to knock their head and tell them JSJSJS $is$ $only$ $a$ $small$ $portion$ $of$ $the$ $web$.

    On a mobile device, JSJSJS $is$ $even$ $less$ $important$, $since$ $many$ $JS$ $powered$ $interactions$ $between$ $mice$ $and$ $page$ $just$ $don$'$t$ $exist$.

    To use a jsjsjs $test$ $as$ $representation$ $of$ $real$ $world$ $page$ $loading$ $is$ $at$ $least$ $misleading$, $and$ $probably$ $stupid$ $and$ $useless$.
  5. #5  
    Where are the Woodward and Bernsteins of the Tech industry?
    I wish I knew!
    But to be fair that tells how scare are a lot of stupid Apple fanbois of competition, and a better alternative.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
  6. zyxwv88's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #6  
    If you look at the "baseline" comparison, they compare to a Mac. It seems pretty obvious to me that the authors have a bias towards apple, so some of that should be taken with a grain of salt.

    Overall browser performance is roughly the same. There isn't really enough difference to matter one way or another.

    Besides, with so many people using WinMo, which is INCREDIBLY slow, most people would be thrilled with any decent browser.

    Not to mention that the browser isn't why most of us bought a pre, it was Synergy
  7. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #7  
    More importantly, who really cares? Is someone going to buy one phone over another because of faster JavaScript rendering? That kind of stuff can, and does, change with the wind. Several times within just the past couple of years, Opera, Firefox, Chrome and Safari have squeaked out faster rendering times than each other (depending on which benchmark you believe) and who knows what who will be on top next month. It would be silly, even downright stupid, to base your decision on this type of test.
  8. #8  
    When the Pre's webkit build reaches iPhone 3.0's then we'll talk.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    When the Pre's webkit build reaches iPhone 3.0's then we'll talk.

    The Pre is in competition with the GS and 3.0 so yah we should talk about it and Palm needs to get to work optimizing because there have been several reputable sites showing a 20% disparity in speeds with the only difference being the OS.
  10. #10  
    Who really cares, provided the Pre browser performance is adequate for the user's purposes.

    Personally, I'm sick of the comparisons. Get on with making the best use of the Pre, I say. I'm not in the least bit interested in what any iPhone can or can't do and I can't wait for the opportunity to purchase a GSM Pre in a couple of months.
  11. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #11  
    Isn't this like comparing a car that goes 100mph vs 120mph? Who really cares which is "fastest" when both are pretty darn quick compared to everything else out there.
  12. #12  
    I care

    I bought a premium product, if I didnt care I would have bought a rzr

    The Pre has the hardware to compete with the 3G S and hence it should.

    One of the main things that was alleged by Rubenstein was that "OSX is too heavy for a mobile device" and that WebOS was lightweight and allowed fluidity and speed.

    But now the 3G S is Apple's response to their ex employee that its plenty light and plenty fast in a similar hardware setup.

    Palm needs to step their game up, optimize their code and do what it takes to prove that what they claimed is really relatively close to true.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    I care

    I bought a premium product, if I didnt care I would have bought a rzr

    The Pre has the hardware to compete with the 3G S and hence it should.

    One of the main things that was alleged by Rubenstein was that "OSX is too heavy for a mobile device" and that WebOS was lightweight and allowed fluidity and speed.

    But now the 3G S is Apple's response to their ex employee that its plenty light and plenty fast in a similar hardware setup.

    Palm needs to step their game up, optimize their code and do what it takes to prove that what they claimed is really relatively close to true.


    So true, so true.
  14. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    I care

    I bought a premium product, if I didnt care I would have bought a rzr
    And you have a premium product. If you wanted the premium-est product in every category, I'm sorry to tell you it doesn't exist. Enjoy your new phone and be happy!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    And you have a premium product. If you wanted the premium-est product in every category, I'm sorry to tell you it doesn't exist. Enjoy your new phone and be happy!
    I am enjoying it, that's not the topic at hand here.

    I find it odd that so many here are quick to say expectations should be lowered and we should be happy with what we have. This is not food and health, its an item.

    I want palm to competw, competition allows the consumer to get better products.

    I'm sure palm is watching what the iphone 3gs is doing and I hope they tweak and optimize webos to match and beat in some aspects the iphone
  16. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    I am enjoying it, that's not the topic at hand here.

    I find it odd that so many here are quick to say expectations should be lowered and we should be happy with what we have. This is not food and health, its an item.

    I want palm to competw, competition allows the consumer to get better products.

    I'm sure palm is watching what the iphone 3gs is doing and I hope they tweak and optimize webos to match and beat in some aspects the iphone
    I, too, want Palm to compete but the phone's been out for what, three weeks? I just think it's too early to start calling on them to step up to the plate. Yes, they've had disappointing issues and they need to acknowledge that. But I'm perfectly willing to cut them some slack for the time being. I don't consider that "lowering expectations". I consider it being realistic.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    Palm needs to step their game up, optimize their code and do what it takes to prove that what they claimed is really relatively close to true.
    optimization is one of the last steps in development. You try to get the code working correctly first, then optimize it. Since JavaScript is utilized more in WebOS than competing platforms, moving to a newer version of webkit has more risk for Palm and everything on the phone must be thoroughly tested before releasing a newer version to the public.

    What would you rather have? A system that works, but isn't quite as speedy as something else or a system that's fast, but crashes a lot?

    Palm has a lot of stuff on their plate and some of the stuff they need to do includes:

    • Fix existing bugs ... like the reception issues that slow communication down and increase battery usage
    • Get a stable SDK released to the public
    • Work on adding requested features to make the platform more competitive (ex video recording, system wide cut & paste, etc)


    They can prioritize releasing a newer version of webkit after the 1st two issues are taken care of.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    I
    ...
    The Pre has the hardware to compete with the 3G S and hence it should.
    ...
    And Palm have chosen to apply the power of the processor to different things. eg multitasking
  19. Nugget's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Who really cares, provided the Pre browser performance is adequate for the user's purposes.

    Personally, I'm sick of the comparisons. Get on with making the best use of the Pre, I say. I'm not in the least bit interested in what any iPhone can or can't do and I can't wait for the opportunity to purchase a GSM Pre in a couple of months.
    QFT
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    And Palm have chosen to apply the power of the processor to different things. eg multitasking

    That is fine when I am actually multitasking. I love that about this phone.

    But when I have a single instance going and its the browser, it should not use its cpu to optimize for a single app? Come on now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions