View Poll Results: Vote for a Unified Preferences Application

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Want Preferences Unified

    41 73.21%
  • I Don't Want Preferences Unified

    3 5.36%
  • Either way is Fine with me.

    12 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm tired of having to launch 5 applications to set various preferences on the phone.

    Want to change you data roaming preference? Launch the dialer, click on the little tab, go into preferences. Want to change your screen brightness? Launch "Lock & Screen". You get the idea.

    A "Preferences" application, a la blackberry, would be preferable.

    Who's with me?
  2. #2  
    Aye!
  3. #3  
    You can have both. A preferences app that generates a list of all apps that have preferences that can be set. You then link to the individual preferences. You can also go in program by program if you like. This is the same concept synergy is built on. Not sure if this is already what RIMM does.
  4. DNic's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    #4  
    Yea, not sure why the split up everything in so many places.
  5. #5  
    +1
  6. #6  
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

    I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
  7. #7  
    I agree!
  8. #8  
    They probably split it all up so it would seem as if there was more to their initial three launcher pages.
  9. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #9  
    Abosolutely not! The way it works now (in app preferences set in-app, and phone preferences set from indiv. applications) is the way it should be, 100%. Think of the last screen as your Control Panel if you're on a PC, and your System Preferences if you're on a Mac. The individual icons there, then make a lot of sense, right? A "Preferences program" that encompasses all of the preferences then becomes unwieldily, and would look (if done correctly) just like the last page (having separate icons for each preference option).

    On second thought- having the option to gather all the preferences under a preferences "umbrella", so-to-speak, may be the solution that satisfies everyone.
  10. lbates's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #10  
    I agree!
  11. #11  
    Brilliant idea !!!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Abosolutely not! The way it works now (in app preferences set in-app, and phone preferences set from indiv. applications) is the way it should be, 100%. Think of the last screen as your Control Panel if you're on a PC, and your System Preferences if you're on a Mac. The individual icons there, then make a lot of sense, right? A "Preferences program" that encompasses all of the preferences then becomes unwieldily, and would look (if done correctly) just like the last page (having separate icons for each preference option).

    On second thought- having the option to gather all the preferences under a preferences "umbrella", so-to-speak, may be the solution that satisfies everyone.
    Have you used older Palm OS devices? I forget if you have.

    The way that they worked is much better. You'd go to a Preferences application, and there was a initial screen to select which options you were talking about (like the control panel you're mentioning) and a drop-down menu in the top right to jump to any specific menu that you wanted to go to.

    This makes much more sense than having that cluttering the launcher.

    And, with the way it's set up now it's horrible. Because not only do you have that last page with preferences, but then you have to go into the email program for email preferences, into the phone program for phone preferences, and so on and so forth.
  13. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Have you used older Palm OS devices? I forget if you have.

    The way that they worked is much better. You'd go to a Preferences application, and there was a initial screen to select which options you were talking about (like the control panel you're mentioning) and a drop-down menu in the top right to jump to any specific menu that you wanted to go to.

    This makes much more sense than having that cluttering the launcher.

    And, with the way it's set up now it's horrible. Because not only do you have that last page with preferences, but then you have to go into the email program for email preferences, into the phone program for phone preferences, and so on and so forth.
    Yeah- 1st Palm device I'm coming from two years of iPhone hell.

    One of my bigger gripes with the iPhone was the Preferences Application. Maybe Apple just didn't implement it properly, but having a central repository for individual application preferences was maddeningly frustrating. If I'm in an app, (mail, for instance), and I want to quickly switch from the mail getting pushed, to being checked every half hour, I want to do that from the Mail Application. Otherwise (as it was with the iPhone), I have to leave my app, go to the page with the preferences app on it, click it, wade through the multitude of apps installed on my phone to find the one I want to change the preferences for, select it, change the prefs, exit the preferences app, then go back to the mail app I was in initially. Needless to say, it was HORRIBLE.

    Maybe an amalgamation of the two would be better? The preferences can be set in-app, as well as a central repository? That would make some sense, absolutely. I realize the current way is bass-ackwards from the way Palm has done it in the past. But could you imagine having to set your Notepad preferences on your computer from the Control Panel? Not very intuitive, at all. And since the Pre (with it's multi-tasking tabs) is more of a mini-computer than any (IMO) phone before it, I think the computer conventions in preferences make more sense.

    But judging from the responses in this thread, it may just be me...
  14. jade408's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #14  
    +1

    I was totally lost on finding where some of the settings were.
  15. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
       #15  
    This really needs to happen. Any possibility of stickying this?
  16. #16  
    <<added poll>>
    Just call me Berd.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    This really needs to happen. Any possibility of stickying this?
    Dieter wants to keep the Stickies to a minimum.

    I updated this:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...12#post1634312

    Most the info in there is old, I haven't had a lot of time lately to keep it updated with 'Suggested Threads'
    Just call me Berd.
  18. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Dieter wants to keep the Stickies to a minimum.

    I updated this:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...12#post1634312

    Most the info in there is old, I haven't had a lot of time lately to keep it updated with 'Suggested Threads'
    Thanks for turning it into a poll berdinkerdickle. You're a hero!
  19. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
       #19  
    I was playing with an iPhone today, and not only is there a unified preferences application, but you can set all of the preferences for installed 3rd party applications there too!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I was playing with an iPhone today, and not only is there a unified preferences application, but you can set all of the preferences for installed 3rd party applications there too!
    I honestly don't like the idea at all. In particular when it comes to prefs which are specific to an app. Let apps manage their own preferences. System & Common prefs... well maybe. But I have all my system stuff in my last launcher page. I don't really see how that differs from a dedicated app to show all these prefs.

    Here's what I mean, In my last launcher page I have:

    Bluetooth, Date & Time, Location Services
    Screen & Lock, Sounds & Ringtones, Wi-Fi
    App Catalog, Backup, Updates
    Device Info, Sprint, Help
    Language

    If someone created a single app for preferences then I would still want this on my last launcher page. Further, when it comes up, I would want the various prefs to be categorized so in the end it would look much like my current 3rd page and it would take at least one more gesture to get to any options.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions