Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I don't have a Pre yet, but take a look at the SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark results performed by Medialets (this is originally from an article about how the iPhone 3GS is much faster than the 3G).

Basically, the Pre is only slightly faster than an iPhone 3G (not GS) running 3.0.

Obviously, JavaScript performance isn't everything - but for WebOS which is relying on JavaScript it seems pretty important.

(Note: both the iPhone and the Pre use Apple's WebKit application framework)
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    The ATT high speed network is faster than Sprint's, when you can get it. The 3GS can tap into twice the speed the 3G can off ATT's network.

I don't know where they did this testing, but as far as I've heard in major US cities their network is extremely overloaded.

On testing done on the same wifi network, it's pretty close with the 3GS being slightly faster.
    I'm doing fine with the speed. Loading apps can be a tad slow, but I keep my most used apps open so it's instantaneous and the data is up to date.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Pre is pretty slow, but at the same time it isnt a computer. It is fast enoughf or a phone ans is only in 1.0 web os.

I am sure performance will increase in the future.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The 3gs probably uses a newer version of webkit.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizteD25 View Post
    Pre is pretty slow, but at the same time it isnt a computer. It is fast enoughf or a phone ans is only in 1.0 web os.

I agree. It is funny to compare version 3.0 of one to version 1.0.2 of another. Also, it is worth noting that the Pre is as fast as the 3.0 on IPhone 3g. Pretty big accomplishment.

Also, when you consider the fact that both Iphone 3gs and the Pre have nearly the same hardware/processor ability, this is really a moot point. As long as Palm continues to update the Pre, those speeds will improve. With another update likely the first week of July, I would say things look good.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 06/24/2009 at 04:23 PM.
    Sunspider's benchmark has nothing to do with data transfer speed.

That being said, it's also a benchmark that was made by Apple's WebKit developers.... I'd hope Apple does the best at it.

(For the record, I just ran the test with 15 cards open and got 52 seconds on my Pre, so I sort of wonder if it was the only thing running for their benchmark or not.)
    where is the speed to test to see which phone load 5 apps at the same time faster.. start your iphone up and put it next to the pre
    pre about 10 secs
    iphone: come back in about a year.

they are finding the corniest tests to keep the iphone looking powerful.
    i hit 1 app, load, lauch another load, lauch another load, then go back to the first one.
    or like the other user said, i really don't close them.
    when you are living in 1980 and have to hit HOME KEY / APP .. HOME KEY / APP .. HOME KEY APP. anytime you wana do something i would hope its faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I agree. It is funny to compare version 3.0 of one to version 1.0.2 of another. Also, it is worth noting that the Pre is as fast as the 3.0 on IPhone 3g. Pretty big accomplishment.

Also, when you consider the fact that both Iphone 3gs and the Pre have nearly the same hardware/processor ability, this is really a mute point. As long as Palm continues to update the Pre, those speeds will improve. With another update likely the first week of July, I would say things look good.
    i think the comparison is justified consider both phones are available right now. i would say the comparison is a moot point if pre was available when iphone first came out and now after 3.0 os update, and we're still comparing the old pre os to new iphone os, but both are the latest os on the phones. makes sense to me.
    It doesn't matter which version your phone is. Right now, the newest iPhone is faster than the newest Palm. That's what customers care and that's what Palm should care and try to fix ASAP. They shouldn't feel accomplished when their product is as fast as other's product that was released 18 months ago.

It's just disappointing that Pre is as well-speced as iPhone 3GS yet it's performing on par or worse than iPhone 3G.
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    i think the comparison is justified consider both phones are available right now. i would say the comparison is a moot point if pre was available when iphone first came out and now after 3.0 os update, and we're still comparing the old pre os to new iphone os, but both are the latest os on the phones. makes sense to me.
    You are definitely right about making comparisons; you definitely need to look at the latest offerings of both phones and see where they stand. My point was that it does not make the first WebOs phone inferior to the 3GS because its version 1.0.2 is not as fast. It just means that Palm has some room to make up and can do it without too much trouble considering the similarity of specs.

By the way, thanks for helping me spell moot. I knew mute was right because it doesn't make sense, but I was typing on my Pre and didn't want to mess with a dictionary.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizteD25 View Post

What do you mean? Yes it is a computer, tell me whats different about this phone and a computer?

I've seen alot of benchmarks, and to me they are all bogus. Sprint is by far faster than ATT, the only test I'm inclined to believe is the bootup time btwn the Pre vs. 3GS.
    Last edited by Leke; 06/24/2009 at 04:52 PM.
    The Pre's web browser needs work. Its slow and the java script performance is very poor as indicated by all the speed tests. Also many of the apps like calendar and email are also slow and can get bogged down. It is mostly optimizatipn issues but ultimately these things should have been ironed out prior to release.

None of this stuff is terrible but it can grate on you. The good news is it can also be fixed. Hopefully Palm will do that prior to my 30 days.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    With the rumored "600mhz" processor and supposed high end video processor onboard the Pre, I really hope that they increase the performance soon or at least at their next major revision. You would think that the sluggish UI performance would have been something that Palm would have worked on like crazy before release. If the specs were reduced, then I'd understand.

Does it make sense that that scrolling in email and the launcher is jerky at best while the browser is very smooth? You'll also notice the slowdown when you get an alert and the card zoom out and zooms back in when the alert is minimized.

Application speeds could be worked out but strangely, it doesn't bother me as much as the UI performance.
    Remember folks that these are two different OSes. WebOS has the multitasking feature that evidently needs to sacrifice some speed in loading apps, etc. A couple of examples: DOS booted up in no time, regardless of CPU, in comparison to Windows. But windows brought in more functionality. And: Palm's Garnet OS had no peer when it came to booting and app loading/performance when it was implemented on the Treo600. Every Treo after had the new feature NVFS that drastically reduced speed in booting/app loading - advances in processor speed never regained the snappiness of the 600. Is it fair to compare these devices and the OSes they run on? With WebOS's advanced feature set, is it really fair to do speed measurements and compare it to the iphone OS with a different feature set???
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Is it slow? NO.
    the speed is fine for me
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    You are definitely right about making comparisons; you definitely need to look at the latest offerings of both phones and see where they stand. My point was that it does not make the first WebOs phone inferior to the 3GS because its version 1.0.2 is not as fast. It just means that Palm has some room to make up and can do it without too much trouble considering the similarity of specs.

By the way, thanks for helping me spell moot. I knew mute was right because it doesn't make sense, but I was typing on my Pre and didn't want to mess with a dictionary.
    i agree with you. pre has lots of room for improvement. hardware specs can't change on a phone, without buying a new one. software can, and so i'm totally not worried about pre's performance right now because it's spec'd out the same iphone 3gs. now if in a year and the performance is still poor, then i'd be worried because i would be thinking to myself that palm is not committed or not smart enough to make it perform faster, either of which is scary and doubtul.
    This is an unfair test as the Webkit build on the Pre is kinda outdated.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    This is an unfair test as the Webkit build on the Pre is kinda outdated.
    Wow! Great logic and very reassuring! Palm sells outdated products!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast