Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think we need to shove our inner pre fanboy aside and realize what the current situation is. The competition from Apple and Android is fierce and only getting fiercer. The situation is much different then when first iPhone launched or even the G1. Being the third major player on the scene kind of makes it feel crowded and also makes every decision matter more. Android is in the news now and there is also an impending onslaught of Android phones coming to multiple carriers. The new iphone is in the news because lets face it. Its good and apple fan boys are hard core. they are everywhere lol.

The mainstream consumer is what wins the battle. The mainstream consumer doesnt surf phone forums or read gizmodo. They dont care about specs either. They get caught up by hype and the media. Right now the Pre has positive media cover but that will slowly fade. Palm needs to keep up with updates and improving the phone. They need to make big announcements that cause a splash and get coverage. They need apps, they need more cool features. They need people to care and love their phone, not just the gadget geeks but the mainstream. So when the Pre 2 launches next year. People will line up and drop their cash even if they dont have an upgrade just to get it. This is really a battle of public perception as much as it is about the phone itself. any thoughts on this?
    more viral marketing.
  3.    #3  
    Part of this post is that when people say well it took the iphone a year to get an app store or crap about the pre doesnt have video recording. They make excuses like the general public cares or will be understanding and give Palm a chance. The situation is not really like that.
    You are absolutely right. Good point.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    I think we need to shove our inner pre fanboy aside and realize what the current situation is. The competition from Apple and Android is fierce and only getting fiercer. The situation is much different then when first iPhone launched or even the G1. Being the third major player on the scene kind of makes it feel crowded and also makes every decision matter more. Android is in the news now and there is also an impending onslaught of Android phones coming to multiple carriers. The new iphone is in the news because lets face it. Its good and apple fan boys are hard core. they are everywhere lol.

The mainstream consumer is what wins the battle. The mainstream consumer doesnt surf phone forums or read gizmodo. They dont care about specs either. They get caught up by hype and the media. Right now the Pre has positive media cover but that will slowly fade. Palm needs to keep up with updates and improving the phone. They need to make big announcements that cause a splash and get coverage. They need apps, they need more cool features. They need people to care and love their phone, not just the gadget geeks but the mainstream. So when the Pre 2 launches next year. People will line up and drop their cash even if they dont have an upgrade just to get it. This is really a battle of public perception as much as it is about the phone itself. any thoughts on this?
    I think you should take a step back and marvel that a company the size of Palm, with their cashflow issues amongst others, were able to bring a product as polished as the Pre is from prototype to execution in 15 months.

The launch of this phone has gone much better than another high profile launch in recent memory. At it's core, the phone is plenty functional, and I think that we'll see the platform mature rapidly.

So worry not, friend. This thing is going to be a hit.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    They need the supply of product to have on hand and then a constant strain of marketing in different forms to keep it fresh and innovative and in the consumers' minds.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I think you should take a step back and marvel that a company the size of Palm, with their cashflow issues amongst others, were able to bring a product as polished as the Pre is from prototype to execution in 15 months.

The launch of this phone has gone much better than another high profile launch in recent memory. At it's core, the phone is plenty functional, and I think that we'll see the platform mature rapidly.

I hope it is hit. I plan on getting the phone. But you think you should realize the your average joe isnt gonna sit there and marvel about palm's history lol. And the Storm was an epic fail. Everyone i know who HAD the phone. hated it

Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    They need the supply of product to have on hand and then a constant strain of marketing in different forms to keep it fresh and innovative and in the consumers' minds.
    yea this could help.
    i think palm and sprint have this all planned out. the soft launch on june 6 gave them a chance to gauge reactions and get all kinds of feedback on the device's hardware and performance. Now, they can make improvements to the phone and the second round of units that are sold can be a bit more solid. after that they can ramp up their marketing efforts.

but i'm just speculating
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    Exactly. And that's probably why it was so easy for Palm to leap over everyone, INCLUDING Android, in terms of mindshare.

The idea behind Android was that it was the anti-iPhone in that you weren't limited to just one device choice. But instead of saturating the market with various Android OS devices, they just sat there with a single phone on old hardware and tied to a weak carrier.

And this is where Palm needs capitalie. The Pre is a fine phone but the real star here is WebOS. So let's see new hardware, more carriers, better features and quicker updates because the iPhone already is huge and Google is ready to pounce on to the market. So if Palm just sits back relys on the Pre then they're going to be perceived as a secondary player.

This comment is coming from a person that really wanted the Pre and has followed it since it was announced. I am not a fan boy and I have never owned an fruit phone

In it's current state the Pre is a polished turd. To say the size of the company, the iPhone didn't have, wait for the updates is not something the general public cares one wit about. They want at a minimum what is already available to work and give me the new bells and whistles as well.

I went with an off contract Treo Pro to wait it out but who knows if I will even be interested in the Pre in 6 to 12 months cause some new and better could be out with more reliable hardware. I want the Pre to kick ***, I want the Pre to kick the fruit phone in the nads but that will never happen with what they have on the table.
    -Treo 650 | 700wx | Centro | 800w | Treo Pro
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osidak View Post
    This comment is coming from a person that really wanted the Pre and has followed it since it was announced. I am not a fan boy and I have never owned an fruit phone

In it's current state the Pre is a polished turd. To say the size of the company, the iPhone didn't have, wait for the updates is not something the general public cares one wit about. They want at a minimum what is already available to work and give me the new bells and whistles as well.

I went with an off contract Treo Pro to wait it out but who knows if I will even be interested in the Pre in 6 to 12 months cause some new and better could be out with more reliable hardware. I want the Pre to kick ***, I want the Pre to kick the fruit phone in the nads but that will never happen with what they have on the table.
    A polished turd? Have you actually used the phone? At its core, the PIM functionality is solid, the interface is a breath of fresh air, and it has one of the best browsing experiences a smartphone can offer.

Oh, and the build quality. Go to the Sprint store and actually handle one and then report back here.
    I have - looked at 3 different stores and every Pre I touched had some type of issue with it. Plus look at these boards and see how many people are having issues - How many people have swapped their phones numerous times.

Doesn't matter at all if the browsing is the best ever if the phone does not perform as it should or has a resonable life span.

Like I said I want the thing to be a hit. So far it is turning in a miss
    -Treo 650 | 700wx | Centro | 800w | Treo Pro
    So is it best to limit the number of fart apps when the sdk comes out to spare all the users, or flood the app catalog with them so the media can report overinflated numbers? Guess it depends on who's paying your bills.
    A polished turd? Have you actually used the phone? At its core, the PIM functionality is solid, the interface is a breath of fresh air, and it has one of the best browsing experiences a smartphone can offer.

Oh, and the build quality. Go to the Sprint store and actually handle one and then report back here.
    If that guy can't tell the difference between a Palm Pre and a polished turd, please don't send him after a Pre. No telling what he'll bring back.

And if you must, make sure he washes his hands.
    In the end, the Pre really doesn't matter. It's all about the Web OS which will become a much bigger deal as it appears on other devices and on a variety of carriers. The Pre is just the body, it's the guts that Palm is banking on. I can't see Palm failing on this one even if they get bought out since it will be Web OS the company is buying. Web OS is impressive enough to carve out its own stake in the smartphone market.
  16. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osidak View Post
    I have - looked at 3 different stores and every Pre I touched had some type of issue with it. Plus look at these boards and see how many people are having issues - How many people have swapped their phones numerous times.

Doesn't matter at all if the browsing is the best ever if the phone does not perform as it should or has a resonable life span.

Like I said I want the thing to be a hit. So far it is turning in a miss
    You probably shouldn't use the amount of posts on this forum as a gauge of how many defective phones there are. Wait until official numbers are released. (Q209 Earning call is coming up soon, I believe)

Second, what performance issues are you speaking of? What do you know of the phone's life span?
    And the Storm was an epic fail. Everyone i know who HAD the phone. hated it
    Fortunately for RIM, the Storm is just a side show. For Palm the Pre is the show.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts

Who told you a Pre 2 is coming out next year?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Who told you a Pre 2 is coming out next year?
    It a logical assumption based on the current trend of devices. Every single year a newer model with slightly better specs that people go crazy for is released. Apple does it, HTC does it, and Palm will do it to if they are smart.

The rollout of 4g along with new processors announced is enough reason too.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    In the end, the Pre really doesn't matter. It's all about the Web OS which will become a much bigger deal as it appears on other devices and on a variety of carriers. The Pre is just the body, it's the guts that Palm is banking on. I can't see Palm failing on this one even if they get bought out since it will be Web OS the company is buying. Web OS is impressive enough to carve out its own stake in the smartphone market.
    yes but Web OS needs to be polished and needs are larger user base. The only phone that palm has out right now to do that is the Pre.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast