1.    #1  
    OK...I have weighed in on many bad battery, drains to fast, how can I make it through the day threads...but here is a new one (I think). I ordered a Seidio Extended Battery. On the jacket of the product when it showed up it states "*performance will increase after 5-6 full charges". Could this explain why some people think (not to doubt it) that 1.0.3 actually increase their battery life? The battery actually gets better with age and they have not had the phone long enough to realize it was just the battery "Coming of age"?
    Can any of the experts out there weigh in on this...I am just novice tech junkie
    I always thought that batteries got worse with age. What is so special about the pre battery that it needs to "break in" to get max capacity? I am honestly curious because I have never heard of this before...
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    I haven't seen it yet & been through 10+ full charges (but not full 'cycles' where i let it run down to near 0% if that matters...)
    I'm seeing better battery performance but I believe it is due to tweaking and the 1.0.3 update
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    The new batteries do not have a "memory" in them so unlike years past, it isn't necessary to power them down. I do agree that usually with any new device, the battery life gets better over the course of the first couple of weeks because one) it is getting a full charge and two(and more importantly) people have gotten into their normal usage patterns.

When we first get a new toy, we tend to play with it a lot over the first week or so to check out all the new functions. This is the same thing that is happening with the Pre. Everyone started testing out every new app and every part of the phone, having multiple browsers up, texting, taking pictures, syncing mail, etc. which naturally drained down the battery quicker, not to mention some of the software bugs that were uncovered.

The combination of normal usage and the new update have combined into better battery life. I see it getting better with future upgrades as things get refined further as well.
  6.    #6  
    I don't disagree DSP...infact it my understanding that "battery Memory went out in the 90's....but why is it on the package of the new battery???
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Li-Ion batteries are not affected by cycling like you think they are...

In fact, I would encourage you to do a search on wikipedia from your phone (it has that capability, right?) on Lithium Ion batteries.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I am guessing that it is left over from the old battery days and the manufacturer just never changed the packaging...could also be a disclaimer of sorts so someone won't return it after a day or two saying this thing doesn't work.

Could just be that the print guy was lazy...
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Whan I get a new camera or other gadget I was always told to fully chsrge it before use... Could poor battery life be due to sprint reps opening it up and turning it on when purchased, rather than taking it home and fully charging it before using it?
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Hi guys I found this on this site called wikipedia

Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life

* Like many rechargeable batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%60%
    * Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled"), but this may be necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any electronic charge monitor (e.g. a battery meter). This allows the monitoring electronics to more accurately estimate battery charge.[27] This has nothing to do with the memory effect.
    * Li-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4 V to 3.0 V per cell.
    * Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
    * Li-ion batteries should not be frozen [50] (most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 C; however, this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers).
    * Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[27]
    * When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, consider removing the battery[51] and storing it in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.
    IMO, the battery meter gets calibrated after a couple of full cycle usage. But I firmly believe the 1.0.3 update helped.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    I am guessing that it is left over from the old battery days and the manufacturer just never changed the packaging...could also be a disclaimer of sorts so someone won't return it after a day or two saying this thing doesn't work.

Could just be that the print guy was lazy...
    You would be guessing wrong. Read up on current battery technology here and then you won't have to guess: Battery University

The memory problem with Ni-Cad and NiMH batteries was that the battery 'remembered' a low charge state if the battery was not fully discharged before charging.

Li-Ion batteries (such as that used in the Pre) need to be fully charged, kept topped up, and not fully discharged. They will reach their full charge capability after a few charge cycles.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Not saying that the information is incorrect or anything, but I love how you guys are quoting Wikipedia as fact.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
  14. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Not saying that the information is incorrect or anything, but I love how you guys are quoting Wikipedia as fact.
    In this case especially, the information is easily verifiable.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Uh, Wikipedia is a fairly good source of accurate information. Sure, toss a few grains of salt in there and cross-check against another source, but get with it, bashing Wikipedia is so 2005.

And here's your other source: www.batteryuniversity.com
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.