1.    #1  
    It's the subscription version of pandora. Its $36 a year and you get better quality music streams - 192kb as opposed to whatever it is now.

Has anyone subscribed and if so, is it worth the money to you?

Edit: Answered my own question - the FAQs on the site say that 192k is not supported on mobile devices.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    in pandora's preferences it has an option for higher quality sound.
  3.    #3  
    I saw that - but I don't think that necessarily means it supports 192k. I wonder what quality we are getting?
    Quote Originally Posted by tozfeekum View Post
    in pandora's preferences it has an option for higher quality sound.
    Not sure what the 'higher quality' sound is though.

I'm no true audiophile but as long as you're not on your computer trying to blast some tunes through actual speakers this probably isn't needed.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    i use it in my car, and can't tell a difference when i turn it on vs off. I was also thinking about getting the one service, but if it's not supported by the pre then it's useless for me.
    Yeah, today I was listening to classical music on Pandora and it sounded like crap. Very tinny. I looked in the preferences and found the higher quality option and the problem was fixed. I didn't notice the bad quality with other types of music (the bass seemed a bit low, but thats about it). So if you listen to classical music on pandora, i suggest you turn it on :-).
    I'm new to Pandora, one thing I can't stand is the fact that you can only skip a certain number of songs per hour, does the paid subscription change that?
    We get 32kbps EVDO (unless the higher quality option is selected), 64kbps Wifi.

Doesn't really mean much without knowing what type of stream it is too though.
    I have definitely heard a difference in quality on the higher quality setting. It's significantly better. Try listening with headphones. You might not hear a difference until the next song.

Also, has anyone else noticed a lack of stereo? I listened to Rambler by Led Zeppelin today and there were parts where the stereo is actually different on the different channels (instead of just presence), and some of it was clearly missing.

Update: in case anyone is keeping track, my stereo problem was that the cable was not quite fully plugged in to my auxiliary jack. DSP made the mono come out of both speakers so I didn't notice! Just today I plugged it in all the way and it was like listening for the first time. So lack of stereo was my own dumb fault.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 07/02/2009 at 12:17 PM.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    We get 32kbps EVDO (unless the higher quality option is selected), 64kbps Wifi..
    No wonder it sounds like crap compared to a 256kps mp3.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    A little off-topic but I've found slacker to be higher quality sound than pandora and the slacker app for blackberry lets you cache stations to memory. Hopefully they'll release a slacker app for the pre, that would be cool.
  12.    #12  
    Evidently Pandora uses an advanced form of AAC that supposedly is just as good as mp3 at twice the bit rate.

Also, another article tested different bitrates and that generally, most people can't distinguish between 128k and anything higher. Obviously that depends on the equipment being used and "ear" of the listener. But certainly in a car you couldn't tell the difference.

From what I can tell, they stream at 128k. How did you find out we get 32k only via evdo?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxGator View Post
    Evidently Pandora uses an advanced form of AAC that supposedly is just as good as mp3 at twice the bit rate.

Also, another article tested different bitrates and that generally, most people can't distinguish between 128k and anything higher. Obviously that depends on the equipment being used and "ear" of the listener. But certainly in a car you couldn't tell the difference.

From what I can tell, they stream at 128k. How did you find out we get 32k only via evdo?
    I emailed them and asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxGator View Post

Edit: Based on my own silliness above, I no longer have anything to say here.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 07/02/2009 at 12:18 PM.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer