Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    So... got my 4th exchanged Pre in the mail today... the previous one was perfect except it came in the mail Monday complete with a little chip in the screen (my fingernail would actually catch on it). Soooo... i open my new box today excitedly after happily thanking the UPS guy. Grab my new phone and immediately inspect the screen.

TWO BUBBLES!!! Large enough to notice with the phone off, but small enough where i think i can live with them provided there are no yellow blotches like Pres #1 and #2.

I am so fed up right now i feel like driving from Brooklyn to Palm's HQ and reaming them out.

But whatever. I'm done with these exchanges. I'll take a bubble over a chip any day (especially with being worried about the screen spider-cracking) and just be done with this whole stupid process.

I am very disappointed in Palm in general.
    Why would you pay for something you arent happy with made by a company you are disappointed in?

let alone go through the return process three times...
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I feel for ya.
    i wish people would document these "4th exchanges" better so that we can see what the problem is with each device, it's very hard to believe that so many people get a perfect device the first time and others can't get it after 4 tries???
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quick update... after the device is turned on there's one very glaring dead pixel (black) right in the center of the screen too.

Soooo... what would you guys do? Go with the small chip in the screen or the bubbles and dead pixel?

Or try for a 5th exchange?

Yikes.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    Why would you pay for something you arent happy with made by a company you are disappointed in?

Mostly because i love the phone and its obvious potential, just not the glaring hardware defects.

Most of all, it's the best phone you can get on Sprint which I won't leave until Verizon gets the Pre. I'm going to find it hard to leave Sprint anyways because of the amazing (and amazingly cheap) plan that i have through them for being a customer for years. Everything Data, text, gps, etc. with 1800 anytime minutes for 69.99 a month? Considering how much i use my phone for work it doesn't make any sense for me to switch to a carrier where i'll be paying double.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahnoff View Post
    Soooo... what would you guys do? Go with the small chip in the screen or the bubbles and dead pixel?

Yikes.
    I had a nearly perfect Pre, but I still returned it. Because even if the hardware is perfect it still doesn't guaranty that you'll be able to live with the software for two years. Right now there are major problems with basic functionality. (like call management, signal issues, etc.)

I personally would throw in the towel for now, and wait to see if Palm proves themselves to be on top of the software issues before you even consider having another go at better hardware.

I would love to use a Pre, but I need to know that Palm is being responsive to customer needs and issues before I'm willing to commit to it for 2 years.

-n8
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post

Because once you get the phone 'as advertised' it's actually an amazing device. I'm also on my 2nd one and it's got a bubble under the screen, whereas the last one had overheating issue, and several dead pixels...

I might just keep it, and spare myself the headache of trying to get a 'perfect' phone...
    Who sticks with a phone for 2 years nowadays.....cmon, that is so 2004!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trixx View Post
    Because once you get the phone 'as advertised' it's actually an amazing device. I'm also on my 2nd one and it's got a bubble under the screen, whereas the last one had overheating issue, and several dead pixels...

I might just keep it, and spare myself the headache of trying to get a 'perfect' phone...
    Exactly. I might just keep the chipped screen (better than dead pixels and bubbles) and in a few months exchange it under TEP, presumably when Palm gets their crap together and starts putting out relatively flawless phones.

I noticed the manufacturing date of the chipped-but-otherwise-perfect phone is 10 days later than the bubble-and-dead-pixel one, which could just be a fluke or might indicate Palm is improving their manufacturing.
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    It sounds like they don't like you.
    Go for the 5th exchange.
    I feel for you too. I probably would have done the same thing. Frankly, I would consider letting them know that you are extremely unhappy, that you like the device but feel TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF by having to accept less than perfect build quality. Suggest that to remedy the solution, they give you a VOUCHER for a NEW pre to be exchanged AT YOUR OPTION at any time in the next 12 months. That way, once build quality is improved, you can get a new phone and have the time for a full inspection. For Palm/Sprint, they get to put off solving your problem until they finish dealing with their manufacturers/designers.

If I have a problem with mine, that's what I'll probably do.
    It's their fault....exchange it.... that's what I would do.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahnoff View Post
    Quick update... after the device is turned on there's one very glaring dead pixel (black) right in the center of the screen too.

Yikes.
    return it for a refund and wait and see if Palm can get it's act together in 6 months to a year
    -Treo 650 | 700wx | Centro | 800w | Treo Pro
    Told about this in another thread but here goes.

I am getting my 4th tomorrow.

1st: Big white blotches on the bottom( around 5 or 6 of them)
    2nd: There were more than 5 dead pixels, all in the wrong places.
    3rd: Had very bad light leakage and was missing paint inside (looked like a long line going along the left side of the screen then going a 45 degree angle toward the microphone on the bottom.

All three Sprint looked at and said they were bad.

Tomorrow I go in to get my fourth. Hopefully 4th time is the charm.

Maybe I should bring a Rabbit's foot for luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    Told about this in another thread but here goes.

I am getting my 4th tomorrow.

1st: Big white blotches on the bottom( around 5 or 6 of them)
    2nd: There were more than 5 dead pixels, all in the wrong places.
    3rd: Had very bad light leakage and was missing paint inside (looked like a long line going along the left side of the screen then going a 45 degree angle toward the microphone on the bottom.

All three Sprint looked at and said they were bad.

Tomorrow I go in to get my fourth. Hopefully 4th time is the charm.

Maybe I should bring a Rabbit's foot for luck.
    Or maybe you should just come down to earth, return the phone, and cancel the service.

Nah, that'd be just crazy!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Damn how did you manage to get that many exchanges..lol I'm in NY and get even get my first one exchanged..So I may end up letting my pre go to..which I don't want to....I just don't understand why sprint would not keep some stock in their stores for people with defective phones...does't make sense..
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    Or maybe you should just come down to earth, return the phone, and cancel the service.

Nah, that'd be just crazy!
    Pretty hard to cancel the service. I've been with Sprint 10 1/2 years, have a great plan with tons of benefits and a hefty discount. I love the phone, just want one that works without all the hardware problems. I called Sprint, and they told me they don't care if it takes ten phones until I get one that doesn't have a problem, they said they want to make sure the customer gets what they payed for, and Palm is working hard on correcting some of the problems.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Talk about bad luck....... Take it back.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast