Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Damn how did you manage to get that many exchanges..lol I'm in NY and get even get my first one exchanged..So I may end up letting my pre go to..which I don't want to....I just don't understand why sprint would not keep some stock in their stores for people with defective phones...does't make sense..
    I was just luck that they got it in each time I went to return the Pre, well not really, because the phones I got were bad. I am actually getting the 4th at a different store. Too many people got lemons from the one Sprint store I got the Pre from originally. They had a lot of dead pixel and phones with blotches on it. The 4th Pre I am waiting 4 days to get, which will be tomorrow.

To be honest I would taken only 1 if it had worked correctly. All of my problems have been hardware related, not software.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Man my first one had bubbles under the screen. 3 of them on the right hand side right at the edge. I walked right into the store and inspected the demo to see if it was just my phone or a wider spread issue. Floor model was perfect so I had them replace mine out (not that simple I had to convince them and finally threatened to return it and then buy one right there on the spot - but that's another tale).

Anyways the second (my current) is perfect. Don't take that bubble screen defect. It is completely unacceptable maybe next phone or same phone next batches they will refine the manufacturing process so they will receive fewer returns.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I've had my Pre for 24 hours now. I guess I got luckly and missed out on dead pixels or bubbles. I have found out about the Oreo twist issue this morning when I opened the slider. Now it's bugging me.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    So I'm thinking about returning my Pre for horrible battery life. Anybody got any tips for how to explain that to the Sprint Store reps? Because you can't really visually inspect the battery for flaws...
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    Why would you pay for something you arent happy with made by a company you are disappointed in?

let alone go through the return process three times...
    The power of this phone and OS??

I mean for the post's about the bad hardware and poor quality, this device seem's be worth the hassle.
    I am on Pre 2, with a less than obvious dead pixel...#1's was so big i thought it was like a zeroing point or a way to orient your self to the center of the screen for an hour or so after i got it. I waited for the store to get another shipment and tried to replace it but they made me order one.

A week ago I picked it up, (after threatening to cancel if not given a brand new unit as opposed to the refurb they said I had to take) I noticed right off the bat that the "grid" was more visible when the phone was on in normal lighting, where as the last one it was only visible after close inspection in bright light.

The dead pixel came out earlier after showing the girlfriend a photo from facebook. Now I can't stop noticing it in every app....I think I'm going back for a third. I will dump the pre at the store, go back to the centro and then order it over the phone. This resets my 30days and I will do it until I have a Pre worth the $325 dollars I paid for $170 worth of components.

But I do it because I see the potential in this device and in palm. I'm in the bag as they say. But I do criticize them when they are wrong. I still don't think the sampling on this forum or my experience is common enough to warrant a recall. Honestly this 3rd one is because I just can't get it out of my head looking at the phone.But I bet alot of these issues are like that..cosmetic almost.

I would recommend this phone for anyone who doesn't have mission critical features it does not currently support, and anyone who enjoys watching a platform develop and be on the cutting edge... But if you wanna have a cool phone on the level with the I-phone without having Fruit in the name the PRE is it. I say this with every reason to have an iphone or a bold.(working for att and all)
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 06/25/2009 at 01:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj27 View Post
    So I'm thinking about returning my Pre for horrible battery life. Anybody got any tips for how to explain that to the Sprint Store reps? Because you can't really visually inspect the battery for flaws...
    Just buy an extended battery or an additional battery. Really not a flaw.
    I feel for ya man... I exchanged twice and my third one was worse than the second one, so I just kept the second one. Today I bought an iPhone, and am comparing the two, and now I'm leaning towards keeping the iPhone and returning the Pre. I love the Pre's UI, but the hardware issues are unacceptable to me. Also, my GPS for google maps keeps acting up and locating me to the wrong place. I use that feature all day for work, so It's a deal breaker for me.

I am not a troll just to clear that up. I love the Pre in many ways, and I've been a multiple line Sprint customer for almost 10 years, I'm just realizing that I can't keep up with a 1.0 rev. device. I think the iPhone is for me.

Definitely return it again, and if you're gonna stick with the Pre don't give up until you get a good one. They are out there as long as you have the patience to keep trying. I however don't. Good luck.
    I'm kind of disgusted that someone would change a phone 4 times just for minor blemishes. That seems somewhat excessive to me...and quite typical of how people in our country behave about wanting things to be exactly perfect all the freakin time.

There are so many other people just dying to get their hands at least on one new one, meanwhile, a small number of current owners just don't seem happy or satisfied with anything these days. If it wasn't for the chip or bubble that came on it when you bought it, you probably would have scratched it on your own anyway pretty soon...phones go with us everywhere and are frequently beat up quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I noticed right off the bat that the "grid" was more visible when the phone was on in normal lighting, where as the last one it was only visible after close inspection in bright light.
    Wow. My Pre (currently #2, still waiting to exchange it for #3) also has the very visible grid issue. I thought I was just crazy because I haven't seen it mentioned here before but personally I find it very distracting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillen_i30 View Post
    I'm kind of disgusted that someone would change a phone 4 times just for minor blemishes. That seems somewhat excessive to me...and quite typical of how people in our country behave about wanting things to be exactly perfect all the freakin time.
    I guess the question is whether it's reasonable to expect the phone for which you paid to be blemish free. My opinion is that for a $550 high-end phone like the Pre it is reasonable to expect a blemish free phone. We are paying a steep premium for quality and features and Palm is failing to deliver in the quality department (and some would argue also failing in the features department). When you commit more money on a phone than many people spend on a computer it's a reasonable expectation that you should get one without visible defects.

On the other hand, if the Pre were a cheap $200 phone (off contract) I would say that some minor quality defects are reasonable for the price. But the Pre is not cheap in cost so it should not be cheap in quality.

I think so far we've been ignoring the elephant in the room. Elevation Partners invested a lot of money in Palm and now in large part controls Palm. Is this how they plan on getting their money back? By charging a steep premium based on hype but building with terribly cheap materials and workmanship? The scarier questions are do they really think that is a sustainable business model? And if they know that it's not what are their medium and long term plans for Palm and WebOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Wow. My Pre (currently #2, still waiting to exchange it for #3) also has the very visible grid issue. I thought I was just crazy because I haven't seen it mentioned here before but personally I find it very distracting.
    I noticed that too with my last Pre. Was seeing the dots of the grid very easily along with a yellow splotch in a corner. After 4 Pre's, along with reception probs, that was enough.

I'm not sure what Palm's return/exchange % is, but it has to be high.
    Eventually, after enough of these repeated headaches, returns, flaws, and developing weaknesses in the slider, people are going to start saying it........

The pre sucks. It possesses an interesting new OS, but it's a cheap, junky phone.

People say the storm was bad. Though it probably was, it couldn't possibly have had all the hardware problems that the Pre has now.

No software update is going to fix it.

Man, am I glad I held off buying this thing.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    my phone WAS pefect...got a bubble this morning. I guess add me to the pre exchange list.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy999 View Post
    Just buy an extended battery or an additional battery. Really not a flaw.
    As long as you are within your 30 days...u dont have to have a reason!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahnoff View Post
    So... got my 4th exchanged Pre in the mail today... the previous one was perfect except it came in the mail Monday complete with a little chip in the screen (my fingernail would actually catch on it). Soooo... i open my new box today excitedly after happily thanking the UPS guy. Grab my new phone and immediately inspect the screen.

TWO BUBBLES!!! Large enough to notice with the phone off, but small enough where i think i can live with them provided there are no yellow blotches like Pres #1 and #2.

I am so fed up right now i feel like driving from Brooklyn to Palm's HQ and reaming them out.

But whatever. I'm done with these exchanges. I'll take a bubble over a chip any day (especially with being worried about the screen spider-cracking) and just be done with this whole stupid process.

I am very disappointed in Palm in general.
    was it possible for you to take pictures of the phones before you returned them, I am a non believer in the palm pre glitches that seem to be popping up, considering everyone I know whos got one has it working perfectly, Maybe you can also opt to go to a store to pick it up, (this way if its messed up in anyway you can show store rep and they can work on getting you another one rather than waiting for UPS all the time)
    Quote Originally Posted by smonme View Post
    I am a non believer in the palm pre glitches that seem to be popping up, considering everyone I know whos got one has it working perfectly,
    OK, you caught us. We're all just making it up. All Pre's have no hardware problems because you don't have any.
    I noticed the yesterday while streaming. That I actually have 2 dead pixels. No big deal to me. Doesn't affect me and I can only see them on a dark colored full screen app. Actually think they are stuck pixels becuase there not black they were green.

My phone has a wiggly slider, but I guess this is normal for all slider devices.

The battery sucks... o wait.. thats not a defect heh..

I don't see what the big deal is on the pixels (unless its really bad), its a phone not a 50in plasma....

Oh well, Im happy with my launch day pre. I may exchange it for some reason once and if everything in terms of build quality gets fixed. They seem to still be having manufacturing issues.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    my phone WAS pefect...got a bubble this morning. I guess add me to the pre exchange list.....
    Same here man... and this is what worries me.. My phone was perfect for a two weeks then out of nowhere 3 bubbles appear on the upper left of my screen. It's annoying because it shield's the text/graphic display in the corner.

So what's the deal with these phones? Is it reasonable to expect that even if you get a "perfect pre" that soon after it's going to develop some sort of defect?

Maybe I should have gone with the iphone
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    The pre sucks. It possesses an interesting new OS, but it's a cheap, junky phone.

Man, am I glad I held off buying this thing.

Treobk214 wrote in theiphoneblog.com:

"So no pro-apple posts are allowed in an iphone bashing thread? This is getting even better. "

Since you admittedly don't have the Pre and obviously don't want the Pre...why don't you go back to the iPhone blog forums and keep sticking up for the iPhone. It's pretty clear where your allegiances are!!! And take your buddy iPhoneOverPre with you. They already thanked you 53 times for bashing the Pre.

I feel for the people who have had hardware problems. But iPhone Fanboys who don't even have a Pre saying 'the Pre sucks' is not going to help anyone. All, I can suggest is if you really want a Pre keep trying because I have NO hardware issues whatsoever.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Damn how did you manage to get that many exchanges..lol I'm in NY and get even get my first one exchanged..So I may end up letting my pre go to..which I don't want to....I just don't understand why sprint would not keep some stock in their stores for people with defective phones...does't make sense..
    Maybe they did keep some, but have already had to replace so many they ran out?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast