Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Hi everyone,
    I got my Pre replaced yesterday, because it crashed when the slider was closed. The new phone thankfully does not have this issue, and it actually seems a bit better built.

However there is one issue that I'm now facing: battery life.

I meticulously tracked the battery life of my first Pre, and it would lose approximately 1-2% per hour when in standby. The new phone is losing 4% per hour.

I have the exact same settings on this phone as the first, and I am in the same location so reception is not an issue.

I have not yet done a complete discharge cycle, yesterday when I got the replacement it was at 40% and I topped it off and then started using it today.

Can I expect this to get better? If not, is the problem with the phone or the battery?
    There's allegedly been a break-in period for the battery, in spite of how unintuitive this is for lithium ion batteries. I never experienced it (mine's acted like yours since day one, pretty much), but some swear by it.

I'd give it a few days to a week to see if it does indeed settle in. Otherwise, I'd add this into the mix in terms of figuring out why some people have very decent battery life, and others not so much.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    There's allegedly been a break-in period for the battery, in spite of how unintuitive this is for lithium ion batteries. I never experienced it (mine's acted like yours since day one, pretty much), but some swear by it.

I'd give it a few days to a week to see if it does indeed settle in. Otherwise, I'd add this into the mix in terms of figuring out why some people have very decent battery life, and others not so much.

I can't remember how it was with my first phone, since I played around with it a lot the first day, quickly draining the battery and then did a full charge overnight.

I'm giving this 3 days. If I don't see improvement, my first step will be changing the battery, the next will be getting a third phone.
    However, I doubt I'd need a new phone. I think it would be very unlikely that some phones would drain the battery more than others, given the same software settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by msc1 View Post
    I can't remember how it was with my first phone, since I played around with it a lot the first day, quickly draining the battery and then did a full charge overnight.

I'm giving this 3 days. If I don't see improvement, my first step will be changing the battery, the next will be getting a third phone.
    However, I doubt I'd need a new phone. I think it would be very unlikely that some phones would drain the battery more than others, given the same software settings.
    Ah, yes, I'd agree, but that really does seem to be the case. It's very perplexing.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    However there is one issue that I'm now facing: battery life.

I meticulously tracked the battery life of my first Pre, and it would lose approximately 1-2% per hour when in standby. The new phone is losing 4% per hour.
    Ha! I wish my phone would lose 4% per hour while in standby. Mine loses 9-12% per hour in standby without any e-mail/calendar/contacts/etc. synced. Bickered with the Sprint reps at my local store for a while and they finally gave in to give me a replacement which is supposed to be coming out.

Keep us updated on your battery
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zhensley View Post
    Ha! I wish my phone would lose 4% per hour while in standby. Mine loses 9-12% per hour in standby without any e-mail/calendar/contacts/etc. synced. Bickered with the Sprint reps at my local store for a while and they finally gave in to give me a replacement which is supposed to be coming out.

Keep us updated on your battery

I just used the phone for some talk time, and this is a bit strange... I talked for about 18 minutes, and lost 6%. That's 1%/3 minutes, which would give a theoretical talk time of 300 minutes, or 5 hours. This is what it is advertised it. That leads me to think that the battery is not the issue here, something in standby is killing my battery.

GPS is auto(but I'm not using any GPS apps).
    Wi-fi = Off
    Gmail = Manual
    webOS = 1.0.3
    Signal = 4-5 bars
    Wifi on
    gmail - as it arrives
    webos 1.0.3
    signal - 5 bars

6am-2pm it was at 78%, its been at 67% now (3:09pm). Not bad for 9 hours of solid use.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    All through the day, I was worried about my new Pre's battery (see original post). I think the culprit was a sync process gone awry (more on that in a bit).

The way that I solved my problem was very simple: reset the phone. I simply turned it off and turned it on, and the battery started draining much less slowly. I was averaging 4-5% per hour before the reset, while the phone was "doing nothing." After the reset, I was back to approximately 1.5% per hour.

I have reason to believe that this was a sync process running in the background when it shouldn't have been. Here's why:

Due to paranoia at swapping out a phone connected to the cloud, last night I changed all my "cloud" passwords. So this morning the phone said it could not sync with Facebook, Gmail, Google Cal, etc. I put in all the passwords right when the phone was on, but I kept noticing throughout the morning that the EVDO light was active much more than it should have been for just a once every 15 minute sync. I think that either Google or Facebook was calling home much too often.

Can I prove this? No, but if you'd care to look at my evidence I have a chart available here:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...4&output=image

The phone was basically on standby between hours 0 - 8. I reset the phone at around the 5 hour mark. Between 8 and 12, the phone was being used heavily, with a lot of calls, SMS's, some misc EVDO usage (Tweet), etc. Note that the slope of the line for the heavy usage is almost the same as the earlier "standby" use. Sorry for the lack of datapoints between hours 8-12, I was at a company happy hour...
    I just used the phone for some talk time, and this is a bit strange... I talked for about 18 minutes, and lost 6%. That's 1%/3 minutes, which would give a theoretical talk time of 300 minutes, or 5 hours. This is what it is advertised it. That leads me to think that the battery is not the issue here, something in standby is killing my battery.

GPS is auto(but I'm not using any GPS apps).
    Wi-fi = Off
    Gmail = Manual
    webOS = 1.0.3
    Signal = 4-5 bars
    Make sure you're not logged into an instant messaging client like AIM, and Bluetooth and other unused wireless is off. My phone runs quite a while with light phone use. I can easily go a whole day. On the other hand if i'm doing a lot of sprint tv or youtube videos this baby wont make it 2 or 3 hours. So that's what the high cap battery is for. Use the High Cap bat for main battery, and regular as spare when needed.