1.    #1  
    Hello all! Can someone shed some light on how the water damage sensor works?

My Pre took a swim. I know the tricks of the trade and have brought it back to life.

Is there a way Sprint will know my phone took a swim if I return it? There isn't a water damage sticker on the battery. I know there is electronic sensor built into the phone to protect the processor. When it gets wet does it store something on the phone? I don't believe there is a any stickers.

-Thanks jwrock
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    It's basically like a litmus paper that turns red when it contacts with water. It's located inside the device by the micro USB port on the Pre.
    jwrock, remind me never to buy anything from you.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    My guess is that if you return it to a Sprint store (not a repair facility), they'll never know. They didn't check when I exchanged mine, and I can't imagine that they would check yours, either. I didn't have water damage, but that's beside the point.
    I am a Sprint Authorized Service Center and all communications to us say that we are not to ever open up a Pre. The only option is to exchange the phone out. That being said, if the phone shows no outward signs of liquid damage, we would just get the phone exchanged for the customer. Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Are they even doing work on the pre's inside the repair stores? I don't think their opening them up to check/repair things yet.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I went to my local Sprint store and they said they don't have any parts or tools necessary to work on the Pre at this time and any hardware defects or damaged phones would result in a swap for a new one. (I'm guessing based on other forums that "new" may mean refurbed.)
  8.    #8  
    Hey.. just a reminder don't buy anything from me...haha. I'm joking. But that's why I'm returning it to Sprint, not sell it on ebay. People have have free flowing Karma... Not corporations.
  9. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    its inside the phone, the only way to get to it is to take the thing apart
    you cant get to it without voiding your warrenty..smart palm lol
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Does anyone besides me think it's wrong to return a device that has water damage and cover up the fact that it has water damage when such damage is not covered by the warranty? Sure Palm is a corporation and not an individual but does that give you the right to screw them? Isn't that dishonest?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Does anyone besides me think it's wrong to return a device that has water damage and cover up the fact that it has water damage when such damage is not covered by the warranty? Sure Palm is a corporation and not an individual but does that give you the right to screw them? Isn't that dishonest?
    Yup, and it hurts us all. Higher prices for the rest of us and less cooperation from mfg.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    On the Centro and the 800w it was a sliver seal / sticker on the battery that supposedly changes color if you get it wet. If that's the case, check your battery.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I just got my 4th replacement Pre recently. All the lat ones had Hardware Deffects.. Anyways, on with the story. A while ago, I was switching batteries on my pone, when I noticed a big green dot on the top rigt of my phone (under battery cover) and I looked closer to see a vivid green sticker with the familiar word "Palm" written across it. I think it's a water sesnsor, but let me tell you one thing. I'm NOT gonna find out, lol.. Anyways, it's just a reguluar refurb Sprint Palm Pre. I believe it's a water sensor. I can't say for sure tho. Ok.

Btw, wether you think turning in a ater damged phone is dishonest or not, it's up to you, I'm ot saying you SHOULD do this, but it's something you CAN do.. If you do have the water sensor on your phone, you can put some tape on it now, so if you ever get it wet, it won't turn red. Then when you go to the Sprint Store, you can just remove the tape.. Again, I'm not saing you should, but it's an iddea.
    Last edited by v7z730ib; 05/16/2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Adding the last partt.

location of water sensor according to iFixit.com

sorry for the sizing...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Just FYI, unless you go to a sprint store and get an *****, even if its not a repair location they will be able to detect water damage VERY easily by the water sensor on the phone. We are trained before we can even help people how to detect water damage on phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFabulous817 View Post
    Just FYI, unless you go to a sprint store and get an *****, even if its not a repair location they will be able to detect water damage VERY easily by the water sensor on the phone. We are trained before we can even help people how to detect water damage on phones.
    Way to bring back a three month old thread for no reason. Please elaborate on how VERY easy this is on the Pre....oh wait let me guess....you can't tell us because it's "top secret".

Unless even regular salespeople are disassembling Pre's in front of the customer now??
    Quote Originally Posted by v7z730ib View Post
    I just got my 4th replacement Pre recently. All the lat ones had Hardware Deffects.. Anyways, on with the story. A while ago, I was switching batteries on my pone, when I noticed a big green dot on the top rigt of my phone (under battery cover) and I looked closer to see a vivid green sticker with the familiar word "Palm" written across it. I think it's a water sesnsor, but let me tell you one thing. I'm NOT gonna find out, lol.. Anyways, it's just a reguluar refurb Sprint Palm Pre. I believe it's a water sensor. I can't say for sure tho. Ok.

Btw, wether you think turning in a ater damged phone is dishonest or not, it's up to you, I'm ot saying you SHOULD do this, but it's something you CAN do.. If you do have the water sensor on your phone, you can put some tape on it now, so if you ever get it wet, it won't turn red. Then when you go to the Sprint Store, you can just remove the tape.. Again, I'm not saing you should, but it's an iddea.
    That is actually a warranty sticker covering a screw head. Sticker gone or broken you voided your warranty by opening up the device.
    people have no morals.. its no wonder our country has gone to -ell!!!!!
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by v7z730ib View Post

The green dot is simply a cover over a screw..if its removed, you voide the warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by nextelfixer View Post
    I am a Sprint Authorized Service Center and all communications to us say that we are not to ever open up a Pre. The only option is to exchange the phone out. That being said, if the phone shows no outward signs of liquid damage, we would just get the phone exchanged for the customer. Hope this helps.
    Hello,
    I have a Sprint Palm Pro 850. The screen went out. I took it to a Sprint Service Center and was told it had water damage inside.

The water damage sensor inside the unit was red. However the sensor under the battery and the sensor on the batter did not show red.

It seems that something is wrong, maybe a manufacturing defect?

We purchased the Sprint extended warranty and service plan. Sprint won't help and said we must submit the unit to the warranty Company. This I think, is a $150 deductible. Ouch.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Ghost...
    Last edited by Ghost; 02/12/2011 at 08:50 PM.