Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off, let me thank everyone here for the wealth of good information about this device (and not so good/credible info ). My wife originally told me about this phone/organizer/whatever I need it to do around March. Before looking at it I told her it would be a waste of money (as I haven't had a cell phone in 4-5 years, due to old dealings with Sprint). But of course, after looking at this forum/site and reading up on it, I was all on board. So thank everyone who has contributed to my fascination with this phone and now the exasperation of not having one

But there is a silver lining for some folks. I had originally pre-qualified with sprint to make sure my old accounts would have no bearing on me grabbing the phone upon launch (Little did I know there wouldn't be enough to go around, shoulda known though). But I set up a call back for the day of launch with sprint so Telesales would call me on launch day. Of course, they weren't available and I got no call at all. Not a "Sorry, not available at the moment" or nothing (Not mad, just stating).

But an hour or so ago the young lady calls and let me know they are now available through Telesales First question I asked was about the MIR, seeing as BB automatically deducts it (which may be why Sprint/Palm hasn't sent them anymore, in my area at least) I had to see for myself what she would say. $299 and MIR I kindly informed her, as much as I want the Pre, I did not want to pay an add'l $100 knowing the BestBuy is only $199 out the door (+tax); and that I couldn't afford to wait possibly 2 months on a MIR. There wasn't any trying to sway my decision or anything. I guess Sprint has adopted the "Greater Fool" theory. I won't pay it, but some people will (Definitely not speaking about anyone who did buy theirs through Sprint). I just don't understand why Sprint can not oblige potential new customers and just waive the MIR, if they truly intend on the customer filling it out and mailing it in. I understand that there is a percentage of people who will get too excited and forget to mail it in on time or just disregard it all together, but why punish an informed customer and make them wait longer for the phone or give them an opportunity to check out competition (admittedly, I will NOT get an iphone though; its just the point). I am not mad at Sprint or Palm. It looks like the product is awesome and will have a decent life. I beckon Sprint and Palm to wise up. In an age where technology changes and advances each and every day (sometimes within the hour), you should not leave potential customers on the table for someone else to come and pick up while they are waiting. Any waiting customer can become and aggravated/disgruntle customer easily, as seen from some of the flames on this board, lol. I am pretty patient and sensible, so I don't see me grabbing any other device unless it is just that much better. But, I am not everyone.

Long post short... telesales should have the Pre available -- for $299.

Thanks again Site host (Dieter is the only one I can remember by name, but thanks all)
    Quote Originally Posted by dowdyrich View Post
    I haven't had a cell phone in 4-5 years, due to old dealings with Sprint
    Ouch...such bad dealings that they swore you off mobile phones for 5 years!?

Anyhow. I just called *2 to confirm phone sales (my wife needs a new phone as well) and it was a big fat no for me. YMMV I suppose.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    It is showing up on the Sprint site:

Sprint - Cell phones, nextel phones, wireless phones, direct connect, two-way radio

You can't select the phone to purchase on the web, but there is a message

"To order your Palm Pre today, please call 1-866-866-7509."
    Right you are...perhaps I was to quick to the draw.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post

Anyhow. I just called *2 to confirm phone sales (my wife needs a new phone as well) and it was a big fat no for me. YMMV I suppose.
    Lol, you sound like my wife!! My main problem was with sprint's billing. It seemed as if some month's I wouldn't receive a bill and then receive 2 bills together. I know I should've been more on top of my bills; but, I was a freshman in college and didn't really have things in order. I also had Cingular before Sprint (Motorola V100 one of the first "dumb" smart-phones) and they were HORRIBLE. So, I decided then I was never getting a cell phone again (bit drastic albeit).

But, they may the reason I am able to wait for my Pre; 5-6 months since initial interest and what looks like another 2-3 for supply and my financial situation to come together and create the moment of "Serenity Now" when I can hold my Pre in my Palm! Congrats, to all that have one

Unless these wonderful folks here at PC.net want me to do some work for them in exchange for a Pre.

BTW, I thought my fortune cookie saying was pretty well thought out and clever (personally speaking ).

O and P.S. --- People please stop complaining about the phone, unless there is something so wrong that it doesn't work. Some of us still want the phone and are informed enough to know that it may not be completely perfect at the moment So, if you don't want it let's work something out so I can get your's, lol... Just kidding.. unless we can make it work!
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts

And Sprint just posted bout half hour ago on Facebook,

Sprint We just made getting the Palm® Pre™ a little bit easier. Order the revolutionary Palm Pre over the phone by dialing 1-800-SPRINT1.
    29 minutes ago · Comment · Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dowdyrich View Post
    It seemed as if some month's I wouldn't receive a bill and then receive 2 bills together.
    Funny you should say that.....when I first moved to the USA a few years ago I was having that problem with Sprint as well. I just figured it had something to do with the fact that I had to give Sprint nearly $600 just to open an account (being a brand new non resident alien my wife and myself had no US credit rating) and they were using that money.....nope.
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried to order via telesales? If so, what is the delivery time? Is it overnight? Or do you have to wait for them to get in stock, also?
    Quote Originally Posted by neile45 View Post
    Has anyone tried to order via telesales? If so, what is the delivery time? Is it overnight? Or do you have to wait for them to get in stock, also?
    just ordered mine, she said around 7 days, didn't bother asking for expedited shipping because i'm not in a rush.

EDIT: got the confirmation email, this is what it says

Shipping timeframe:
    *50 US States and DC: 2-5 days
    *Guam, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands: 3-6 days

If you purchased the Palm Pre the shipping timeframe is currently 5-7 days.
    Last edited by glacius; 06/25/2009 at 03:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by glacius View Post
    just ordered mine, she said around 7 days, didn't bother asking for expedited shipping because i'm not in a rush.

EDIT: got the confirmation email, this is what it says

Shipping timeframe:
    *50 US States and DC: 2-5 days
    *Guam, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands: 3-6 days

If you purchased the Palm Pre the shipping timeframe is currently 5-7 days.
    Same here. Although, I had also added my name to the waiting list at my local sprint store and they called me about 30 mins after I placed my telesales order.

So, the interesting thing he said was that generally, telesales orders are delivered the next day itself . YAAYYYY! if true!

There's one thing I'm concerned about this order though. $299.99 price is fine, but he told me that there are about $55.xx worth of taxes for that order. California sales tax is 9%, which brings the tax to $27 max. I wonder what other taxes bring the total to $55 in taxes .
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Right you are...perhaps I was to quick to the draw.
    marshall wireless in Eureka just got a bunch today. Going there to swap mine out for my 3rd one.
    Quote Originally Posted by premaddy View Post
    Same here. Although, I had also added my name to the waiting list at my local sprint store and they called me about 30 mins after I placed my telesales order.

So, the interesting thing he said was that generally, telesales orders are delivered the next day itself . YAAYYYY! if true!

There's one thing I'm concerned about this order though. $299.99 price is fine, but he told me that there are about $55.xx worth of taxes for that order. California sales tax is 9%, which brings the tax to $27 max. I wonder what other taxes bring the total to $55 in taxes .
    yeah that $55 blew my mind too, maybe the extra is some electronic waste recycling fee
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Thanks to this thread I have 2 Pre's on the way! I had been waiting for telesales because I am giving up my SERO plan to get this phone! I wanted to be sure I was able to switch to the Everything Plus Referral Program, so I still have a good deal.

The rep told me I'd have my phones in my hands in 5 - 7 days. Good enuf for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by premaddy View Post

I could be wrong but I thought some states charge sales tax on the whole amount before rebates.
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintDaddy View Post
    I could be wrong but I thought some states charge sales tax on the whole amount before rebates.
    Yeah the tax is on the $299 not $199.
    Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    Yeah the tax is on the $299 not $199.
    Guys! 9% of $300 is $27, that's what I said. Sales tax on full pre-rebate amount comes to be $27. I am confused about the extra $28.xx in taxes they charged me.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Isn't the tax on the $500? The amount before any and all discounts? That's what my telesales rep said. Also, my order confirmation email had:
    Shipped Via: UPS
    Shipping Method: Overnight: Next Day PM
    And UPS has it as delivering the 30. I ordered it this morning and was told 2-5 business days.
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    Are you sure the $55 doesn't include the activation fee?
    boo, went on Sprint | Check Your Order Status and it says mine is backordered
    Quote Originally Posted by neile45 View Post
    Are you sure the $55 doesn't include the activation fee?
    Nope. I was assured that activation fee and the shipping fee was waived.

BTW, mine is backordered too :'(.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast