Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In another thread I recommended mobile.nytimes.com as a good read on the Pre. That's because it looked like the first screen shot in landscape. Plenty big enough. The articles too when you click on them.

I have become a real landscape mode lover on the Pre because of the page down gesture. Makes reading a pleasure. I don't care for the NYT app too much, and it doesn't do landscape at the moment.

But now, almost always, the same mobile NYT bookmark looks like screen shot 2, with a much smaller font which is not readable for me. Double tapping doesn't do anything but make the screen jump for a moment. Those who know about this stuff, what's going on?

Is this a problem with the Pre browser, or something else? The NY Times is my paper of choice and I would like to be able to get it to render in the same large font size every time. Who has to do what to correct this? Am I missing something obvious?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I'm having the same problem. It doesnt render like it did on the iphone. same goes for mobile.usatoday.com
  3.    #3  
    Holy hell!

I have been messing around and found that if I went to http://m.forums.precentral.net, where the font size is beautiful on the Pre, and then typed in The New York Times, the NY Times would then render in a beautiful large font on the Pre.

But then, tell me you all didn't know this, I scrolled to the very bottom of the home page of the NY Times mobile site, and there is a FONT SIZE ADJUST!

Unbelievable! The mobile Ny Times site is gorgeous on the Pre. That about seals the deal for me. Landscape and the page down gesture is such an enjoyable combo on the super crisp screen.
    Last edited by galavanter; 06/24/2009 at 11:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    ^ even changing the font doesn't correct this rendering issue.
  5.    #5  
    All right I thought you were just dissatisfied with the size of the font but I tried it again and it is back to small unreadable size even with the largest font set in the nyt mobile app.

Something really strange is going on here. I swear I read the entire article without zooming or scrolling sideways about the Carolina governor in the size of the first pic above after I posted.

Back to messing around..
    Last edited by galavanter; 06/26/2009 at 06:03 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Tried clearing cache and logging out and back in to NYT. Here's a shot from a moment ago, but when I clicked on the article it went back to the small font this time.

The browser has also rendered this two thirds screen, which sometimes also happens on precentrals mobile site.

EDIT: Posted wrong pics. No matter keep reading. It gets better.
    Last edited by galavanter; 06/25/2009 at 03:04 AM.
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0; minimum-scale=1.0; maximum-scale=4.0;" />

That's the code that formats the precentral mobile site to look well, formatting-wise. It's possible the new york times doesn't use that.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    The NYTimes is a fanboy newspaper. Of course it won't display correctly on the Pre
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0; minimum-scale=1.0; maximum-scale=4.0;" />

That's the code that formats the precentral mobile site to look well, formatting-wise. It's possible the new york times doesn't use that.
    Well I have been hoping someone with the knowledge would see this thread. But why is it sometimes rendering larger and reformatted as in the first pic in my first post? How might I repeat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Well I have been hoping someone with the knowledge would see this thread. But why is it sometimes rendering larger and reformatted as in the first pic in my first post? How might I repeat that?
    Notice how the New York Times logo image is different sizes in the 2 photos. Looks as though the first image is a 1:1 scale, and the second looks zoomed out. It's possible the browser remembers the previous web page's zoom scale.

For example, PreCentral Mobile default scale is 1:1. If you then go to a site that doesn't have the viewport meta tags, then there wouldn't be any new website scale set, and it may remember the scale from the previous page (in this case 1:1).

NYTimes website seems to format the text to fit the device width regardless of scale. So if you previously came from a zoomed out page, it's possible NYTimes will appears more zoomed out with smaller text.

Again, that's just my theory. Take it with a grain of salt.
  11.    #11  
    No salt needed. I thought there was a connection with going to Precentral first, but it wasn't repeatable, until now. Thanks so much!

Go to http://m.forums.precentral.net on your Pre. When it loads, tilt to landscape mode (must do) and back to portrait, then select bookmarks and choose your NYT bookmark, or just type in http://mobile.nytimes.com and hit return.

You can now read the NY Times in a large font without scrolling side to side. If you start a new card when going to NY Times it won't work, so choose your bookmark or type in address.
    Last edited by galavanter; 07/12/2009 at 08:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Not sure I call that large. :-) I liked the way it rendered on my 755p. Very readable.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by stevekat View Post
    Not sure I call that large. :-) I liked the way it rendered on my 755p. Very readable.
    I'm speaking of landscape mode, and honestly, even with my aging eyes, I wouldn't want it any larger. Below is the home page scrolled down and next is the article itself. The third is portrait mode, a bit tiny for me, and the fourth is the NYT app, an ad at the top and no landscape mode. Not the entire paper either I believe.

Of course to get it to render this size you have to follow the directions in post #11.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by galavanter; 06/25/2009 at 05:36 AM.
    Seems like this is something Palm could fix. I've seen this happen on other mobile sites too. Thanks for the tip on going to Precentral first. If we can get it to work that way, then Palm could also make it work. This is really the only rendering flaw I've seen in an otherwise spectacular browser.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Thanks for the thumbs. I did not see it that large previously. Now I do see it rendered larger and it is similar to the 755p size and very readable. I don't think I went from Portrait to Landscape to Portrait at the precentral.com site, before selecting the bookmark for NYT.
  16.    #16  
    Your welcome. This is the best discovery I have made on the Pre. I've been waiting for the onslaught of high fives all day. I even started another thread.

A few hours ago I cancelled my T-mo account and retired my BB Flip. This super view of my favorite newspaper helped me make that decision. I read a lot on my smartphone, and the landscape plus page down gesture beats hell out of my BB and my Touch.

Now I wait patiently for a RSS reader with font size adjust.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    No salt needed. I thought there was a connection with going to Precentral first, but it wasn't repeatable, until now. Thanks so much!

Go to http://forums.precentral.net on your Pre. When it loads, tilt to landscape mode (must do) and back to portrait, then select bookmarks and choose your NYT bookmark, or just type in The New York Times and hit return.

You can now read the NY Times in a large font without scrolling side to side. If you start a new card when going to NY Times it won't work, so choose your bookmark or type in address.
    You rock! Thanks for that...works like a charm. I really missed this site too since I heavily used this on my iPod Touch. One less reason to use my Touch now
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Go to http://forums.precentral.net on your Pre. When it loads, tilt to landscape mode (must do) and back to portrait, then select bookmarks and choose your NYT bookmark, or just type in The New York Times and hit return.

Make sure you go to m.precentral.net - the main site doesn't make this work.

Wow this fixes a lot of mobile sites - what code does the precentral site have in it that fixes things?
  19.    #19  
    See Jason's first post.

Since I am currently mobile, what other sites (news preferably) has this worked with for you?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    NYTimes looks good for me now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast