1.    #1  
    Ars reviews the Palm Pre, part 2: the webOS experience - Ars Technica

part I is about Pre vs BB, as a cloud messaging device. This part is mostly vs. iPhone.
    • Starting points
    • Yahoo, Google, and the Wheel of (Web) Reincarnation
    • Launching applications
    • The card metaphor, and how Apple got stuck with a Windows 3.1 idea
    • Gesture region
    • Address Books: contrasting approaches
    • Links, queries, and the webOS address book
    • Profile link problems
    • Final thoughts on the address books
    • Messaging, alerts, unification
    • Mail
    • Calendar
    • App Catalog
    • Web Browser
    • The Pre Hardware
    • Charger and battery
    • Unboxing and accessories
    • Conclusions

Ars always has in depth reviews, and you can always find something you can't put it in words.

Below are some quotations:
    the iPhone—and, indeed, the entire Apple ecosystem—presumes that your contacts exist as an information repository, the canonical copy of which exists either on your Mac or on the company's MobileMe servers. It's up to you to actively curate this repository, adding structure to it by putting contacts into groups and generally organizing the repository so that it's easily browsable.
    Palm's webOS, in contrast, is built around the collect-and-query paradigm. The current crop of default apps presume, fairly consistently, that the first thing you'll do by way of interacting with them is to begin typing on the hardware keyboard. Maybe you're looking for a specific contact, app, or Web history item—regardless, webOS wants you to start typing, even in situations where you also have the option to browse.
    Short of completely overhauling the iPhone interface to truly accommodate multitasking, I can't see how Apple is going to escape from this MDI decision.
    The Pre's gesture region is a fantastic idea with more potential than Palm is currently tapping with webOS.
    The iPhone's address book, just like its iPod app, expects you to immediately begin browsing for the desired record on launch,

When you launch the Pre's address book, you're supposed to just start typing the name of the contact that you're looking for on the built-in keyboard, and let webOS zero in on the desired record.
    I still much prefer Pre's approach to contact management. I'd rather spend my time massaging a massive dataset so that it generates better query results than manually organizing a much smaller one for rapid browsability.
    Since the Pre is centered around messaging, it's no surprise that its mail application is first-class.
    the mail app's lack of any sort of search is a major, jarring omission...I can't imagine that this glaring error won't be fixed in the next major revision of webOS...
    As for what webOS does right with mail, the answer is "plenty." By far the best feature is the "Favorites" section of the main screen that opens when you launch mail application
    this calendar is considerably more useful than its iPhone counterpart.
    In all, the Pre's dialer feels like a bit of an afterthought, ...it needs a "Favorites" page..
    if you're like me and you felt that the iPhone, even in its post-MobileMe incarnation, never quite made sense as an Internet- and cloud-centric messaging device, then the Pre may be the answer to your prayers.

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Awesome article...I somehow missed Part I earlier.
    This is a really good, in depth review. He makes some very valid points. I hope Palm reads it. For example, his concern with the contact linking not being backed up is a point I've not seen mentioned elsewhere.
  4. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I'm really enjoying this. This review is really from a developer / designer viewpoint.

I really like his suggestion of replacing the preferences tab with Apple's "flip the card over" method for changing preferences.

It seems this was written before iPhoneOS 3.0 was released though, as he never mentions Spotlight.