Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    I was hesitant to post this because it might start a flame war. I'm a huge fan of the Iphone. The only reason I didn't get one was because of the expensive AT&T contract. My son has an Itouch and it is very cool...best handheld internet device I've ever used (blows away my Nokia n-series for size and simplicity.)

    So this weekend I was hanging with my brother who has an Iphone and comparing the two. His screen was nicer, larger...glass doesn't require a screen protector....then he gets a call....

    The phone was off when he received the call and he had to do that swiping thing to get it up and then answer the call. With the Pre you just slide open the keyboard.

    He turns it back off, but then remembers he needs to call someone else. I'm a little fuzzy on all that was involved but it went something like, turn it on, swipe to confirm, start contact app, search for contact, press contact to dial. I watched him use the phone several times during the weekend and he always seemed exasperated poking and swiping.

    I showed him how it is done on the Pre. Open slider (phone is automatically on, start typing the person's name, matching contacts appear. Press contact, then number and it dials. If the list is shorter the contacts numbers appear and don't I can press them directly. Alternatively, I show him how I dial my shortcuts. Open keyboard, hold down shortcut key...done.

    Finally, despite the presses required, somehow he pocket dialed me and his wife have a dozen times during the weekend. Perhaps he put it back in his pocket without turning it off???

    I hit the off switch as I drop the Pre in my pocket and have never pocket dialed with it.
  2. #2  
    Just to play devil's advocate here, a coworker pocket dialed me from his Pre this weekend. I don't mean to rain on the parade or anything, because I love the Pre. I just thought I'd throw that out there.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JfBrshie56 View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate here, a coworker pocket dialed me from his Pre this weekend. I don't mean to rain on the parade or anything, because I love the Pre. I just thought I'd throw that out there.
    Yes, and someone on one of the forums complained about getting more pocket dials with the Pre than they ever did with any other phone. I can only guess that they drop it back in their pocket on.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Finally, despite the presses required, somehow he pocket dialed me and his wife have a dozen times during the weekend. Perhaps he put it back in his pocket without turning it off???
    Unless your friend had a bare finger (or whatever ) already in his pocket, pocket dialing is impossible with an iPhone. You can only dial using the on-screen dialer (which sucks for one-handedness and dialing by feel) and the screen requires human flesh to make it work.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Unless your friend had a bare finger (or whatever ) already in his pocket, pocket dialing is impossible with an iPhone. You can only dial using the on-screen dialer (which sucks for one-handedness and dialing by feel) and the screen requires human flesh to make it work.
    Nope...he actually had it in his back pocket...which scared the heck out of me. I kept thinking that glass screen is under a lot of bending stress in that back pocket.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Nope...he actually had it in his back pocket...which scared the heck out of me. I kept thinking that glass screen is under a lot of bending stress in that back pocket.
    Yikes! You've just highlighted another advantage of the Pre - when the keyboard's extended, it's tush-shaped!
  7. #7  
    Sliding open the kb and pressing a speed dial number is sweet on the Pre (as well as typing out a name - wish they would add contact lookup from the onscreen kb too, liked that about WM). Dialing w/o the kb is a little more effort but still very easy. I have not had any "pocket dials" since I have had the Pre but I have had a heck of a time hanging up calls. You have to make sure you press that red bar and actually watch it end!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  8. #8  
    Iphone isn't that complicated either. Unlock, double tap button to bring up spotlight, start typing name, hit name, hit number.

    Or if you're feeling lucky, hold down button, speak "call so and so"...no need to unlock.

    I would guess though that not many palm or iphone users use search.
  9. #9  
    Now, I like my Pre, but as a former iPhone user (and still considering a switch back, to be honest) this story sounds quite stretched to me.

    I've rarely if ever been frustrated or exasperated by the way you call a contact on the iPhone - it's a very clean interface. Not quite so slick as just starting to type a contact name and then selecting them to dial, but pretty easy. And the speed dialing function on the iPhone just works - sorta like on my old Treo - so why the decision not to include a 'Favorites' function on the Pre is confusing and a little frustrating.

    Also worth noting: the iPhone's conference and call waiting functions are (in my opinion) quite a bit stronger than the Pre. It's slick as ice conferencing two calls together, or knowing which one is active and hanging one up while keeping another on hold. On the Pre - not so much. I've had a few experiences where I would try to conference someone onto a call on the Pre, they would not answer, and I found myself unable to disconnect and get back to the original call without dumping every one. That alone is a compelling feature that the Pre really needs to fix. (and I know the story, it's a Sprint limitation - but as the device user, all I care about is I used to be able to do it - iPhone - and now I can't - Pre.)
  10. #10  
    I think most pocket dials, for both devices, would be based on a connected bluetooth headset dialing the last number when inadvertently pressed. Not based a button being pushed on the device. The Pre is closed so you wouldn't press a button and the iPhone sounds too cumbersome to inadvertently press a button, but your handy-dandy headset has a frolicking good time reaching out when you lean against something or it changes position while in your pocket.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I think most pocket dials, for both devices, would be based on a connected bluetooth headset dialing the last number when inadvertently pressed. Not based a button being pushed on the device. The Pre is closed so you wouldn't press a button and the iPhone sounds too cumbersome to inadvertently press a button, but your handy-dandy headset has a frolicking good time reaching out when you lean against something or it changes position while in your pocket.
    He wasn't using BT.

    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Iphone isn't that complicated either. Unlock, double tap button to bring up spotlight, start typing name, hit name, hit number.

    Or if you're feeling lucky, hold down button, speak "call so and so"...no need to unlock.

    I would guess though that not many palm or iphone users use search.
    Maybe he isn't familiar with "spotlight." I don't recall him showing me anything like that. I asked about voicedial and he said he never uses it. In most environments, including his car, it is too noisy to be reliable.

    I didn't use the search function in the beginning with the Pre either, but once you get used to the new method you will adopt it. It is probably the slickest feature.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post

    Also worth noting: the iPhone's conference and call waiting functions are (in my opinion) quite a bit stronger than the Pre. It's slick as ice conferencing two calls together, or knowing which one is active and hanging one up while keeping another on hold. On the Pre - not so much. I've had a few experiences where I would try to conference someone onto a call on the Pre, they would not answer, and I found myself unable to disconnect and get back to the original call without dumping every one. That alone is a compelling feature that the Pre really needs to fix. (and I know the story, it's a Sprint limitation - but as the device user, all I care about is I used to be able to do it - iPhone - and now I can't - Pre.)
    Yes, this stinks and always has on Sprint/VZW. You may be happier waiting on the Pre to come to ATT (if ATT works for you. For me personally, ATT stinks for call quality. So I had rather have great call quality and poor conference calling capabilities than the other way around!).
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by Disaster:
    He wasn't using BT.
    I was referring to this post:
    Just to play devil's advocate here, a coworker pocket dialed me from his Pre this weekend. I don't mean to rain on the parade or anything, because I love the Pre. I just thought I'd throw that out there
    .
    And stating that most pocket dials are due to the headset, not device. I wasn't referring to the scenario. Even my old phone would connect and dial due to the bluetooth headset.

    I think whether or not something is complicated is based on user knowledge and shortcuts. Just like using MSWord. Some people know shortcuts and some people go through multiple steps to copy and paste.
  14. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by JfBrshie56 View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate here, a coworker pocket dialed me from his Pre this weekend. I don't mean to rain on the parade or anything, because I love the Pre. I just thought I'd throw that out there.
    Yeah. I rarely am guilty of mistake-dialing but with the Pre I've done it a number of times also. Especially during those first few days when I was customizing contacts and it would just start dailing.... at 3AM.

    Anyway, a bigger problem for me are missed calls because the dialer app takes so long to open. The trick is to keep it open all the time as a card, but then that's caused several misdials when trying to swap between apps.

    There's a solution out there that will come in time so it's no big deal. But for now then every smartphone is more annoying than a plain old button phone when it comes to making calls.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Yes, this stinks and always has on Sprint/VZW. You may be happier waiting on the Pre to come to ATT (if ATT works for you. For me personally, ATT stinks for call quality. So I had rather have great call quality and poor conference calling capabilities than the other way around!).
    It's an annoyance, an irritation, but by itself isn't enough for me to make a change. On the other hand, the build quality is becoming a concern for me.

    I thought I got lucky with one that didn't wiggle, hadn't cracked, etcetera, but I have developed a bubble.

    It's admittedly a small bubble, and in a very unobtrusive spot, but a bubble nonetheless.

    As an aside, the call quality on either is about the same for me, so that's not really a consideration - though I do get much better data on AT&T than Sprint here in Orlando, for some reason.
  16. Eltaco's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Unless your friend had a bare finger (or whatever ) already in his pocket, pocket dialing is impossible with an iPhone. You can only dial using the on-screen dialer (which sucks for one-handedness and dialing by feel) and the screen requires human flesh to make it work.
    I have an iPod touch and it doesn't need your finger (flesh) to work. I have a screen guard on my touch, also I will use my shirttail to wipe the screen and it works through the cloth also. So if placing an iPhone in your pocket with the screen facing your thigh it can operate the touch screen.
    ˙soə ɹoɟ ƃuıʇıɐʍ ¡ɹəllıʞ "ʇɔuıʇsuı" uɐ ʇuɐʍ ʇsnɾ ı ˙ɹəllıʞ "əuoɥdı" uɐ əq oʇ "ēɹd" ɹoɟ ƃuıʞool ʇou
  17. #17  
    This apple vs palm stuff is fun though. Here's the real loser in all this though:

    12% of consumers who visited a (Apple) retail store this past weekend to make their iPhone 3G S purchase said they were replacing a BlackBerry handset, the latest sign that Apple continues to make headway against rival Research in Motion in the high-stakes smartphone market.

    So while Apple is happy with a million plus sales, palm seems happy selling out, me thinks its the other guys taking it on the chin. Although truthfully, Palm's numbers are insignificant to cause any kind of ripple.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    This apple vs palm stuff is fun though. Here's the real loser in all this though:

    12% of consumers who visited a (Apple) retail store this past weekend to make their iPhone 3G S purchase said they were replacing a BlackBerry handset, the latest sign that Apple continues to make headway against rival Research in Motion in the high-stakes smartphone market.

    So while Apple is happy with a million plus sales, palm seems happy selling out, me thinks its the other guys taking it on the chin. Although truthfully, Palm's numbers are insignificant to cause any kind of ripple.
    I agree. Palm Pre might be a direct competitor to the iphone but its not a threat, at least not anytime soon. And also, the iphone doesn't need to fail in order for the Pre to succeed and vice versa, thats what many people don't seem to understand. The iphone isn't for everyone and neither is the Pre. Different people want different things, thats why we have this great thing call choices.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    I agree. Palm Pre might be a direct competitor to the iphone but its not a threat, at least not anytime soon. And also, the iphone doesn't need to fail in order for the Pre to succeed and vice versa, thats what many people don't seem to understand. The iphone isn't for everyone and neither is the Pre. Different people want different things, thats why we have this great thing call choices.
    Could not agree more. I frankly think that in many ways, WebOS trumps the iPhone, and not by a little bit. Both have strengths and weaknesses. In many ways, things that are annoying on an iPhone, the Pre has done right - but the reverse is also true in some cases (speed dial, as an example?).
  20. Tikerz's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Unless your friend had a bare finger (or whatever ) already in his pocket, pocket dialing is impossible with an iPhone. You can only dial using the on-screen dialer (which sucks for one-handedness and dialing by feel) and the screen requires human flesh to make it work.
    Oh it's possible. My brother texted me with his iPhone in his pant pocket with the screen facing his leg. It apparently works through some fabrics. It also does with the Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions