Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The objective is to make your Palm Pre into a remote Keyboard and Mouse(trackpad) for you PC or Mac.

Keyboard works but I can't get the cursor to move.

Couch surfer - Nokia N800 or iPhone as a wireless keyboard for your Windows, Linux or Mac OS X

Couch surfer is an web application that enables you to use your Nokia N800 or iPhone as a wireless keyboard for your computer. Great for surfing on your 42" plasma from your couch.

Preview version without official iPhone support is available free for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

Couch Surfer runs in background on your PC or Mac. It runs a small web server that enables your Nokia N800 or iPhone to control you keyboard and mouse from a web browser.
    Couch Surfer - Web keyboard - Modula d.o.o.
    Last edited by Mannyman; 08/10/2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: typo
    am i missing something i don't see it anywhere saying it works on the pre
    i know the pre is linux based but that doesn't mean it will work on the pre.
    dont get me wrong i sure i can or at least have a strong possibility to work with some homebrew or tweaking. i'm just saying your topic is kind of misleading
  3.    #3  
    I'm pretty sure the Pre is unknown to the authors. But I downloaded the program which sets up a web server on your pc that serves a webpage with a keyboard. You then use the Pre to go to the web page keyboard and it makes your Pre a wireless keyboard.
    interesting i may have to pick one up thanks
  5.    #5  
    I contacted the author regarding support for the Pre (mouse not working).
    Here is his reply:
    Hi Manny,

Adding this feature is possible but i currently don't have the time to do it. If you have any javascript experience you can do it yourself and I can point you in the right direction.
    Can you send me any pictures of how the keyboard looks on palm. Thanks,

Cheers
    Peter

Message was:
    body:
    I have a Palm Pre. Couch surfer keyboard works. Mouse movement does not work. Maybe you can add arrows to move mouse?
    Thank you.
    Any JavaScript code jockey out there willing to take this on?
    If you want, I could take a look...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    If you want, I could take a look...
    I sent you a PM with contact info and the author a link to this forum. Lets see what happens.
    Ok. I have sent you an email (I am not allowed to PM until 15 posts).

I installed Couch Surfer and am looking at the sources now...
    Hi,

I'm the one behind the web keyboard.
    While it was designed for N800 in mind it should work on any phone with decent web browser. ( works on my SE P1i, but the screen is too small ). It's a web app from the phones point of view. ( that being said, it works very slowlly on the iphone, with about 1s of respose time. Response time on n800 is near instante)

About the mouse support.
    Javascript events on the PREs browser should be tested to see what can we hook on.
    Unfortunally I can't do that without the device. ( Where is the cheepest place to buy it? I'm looking for the new mobile ).

Although it was not meant to be open source. If anyone is willing to build support for PRE I can give him the code/instruction to modify it. The modifications required should be minimal.

For the impatient. The program is in jar file. Look for it in the installation directory.
    This is a .zip file with all the files needed to run webkeyboard including the files of the webapplication.
    extract the files, modify them and start the app with something like:

java -classpath DIR_WITH_EXTRACTED_FILES si.modula.webkeyboard.WebKeyboardTray2

After you are done you can create the zip file again and rename it to .jar

I'll include any changes into the installation packages.
    There is also a keyboard layout editor hidden somewhere inside the package.

Cheers,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    I sent you a PM with contact info and the author a link to this forum. Lets see what happens.
    I will do a search through it now, but no guarantees

BTW, the cheapest Pre is probably $199.
    It works

I am currently using arrows to make the mouse move, which does not make it the most practical approach, but the cursor does work.

Unfortunately, I have 2 things left to fix:
    Up and down arrows don't do anything (I change the dy variable but the mouse does not move)
    Getting the mouse to move while holding the button (right now you have to keep tapping)
  12.    #12  
    sweet

If press and hold doesn't work maybe a series of arrows in all directions.
    That way the further out the arrow the farther the mouse movement.
    (Just a thought.)
    Why don't you guys find a way to take the Nokia N800 on-screen keyboard and hack it to work on the Pre so we could have a horizontal keyboard during Web browsing and other apps?

As you know the N800 also runs a modified version of Debian like the Pre. Although it uses a different web browser Mozilla MicroB instead of WebKit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  14.    #14  
    Pretty different project.
    I'm sure Palm or the HomeBrew crowd would have more luck in mapping webpage pictures to webOS system keyboard operation.
    It works
    Up and down arrows don't do anything (I change the dy variable but the mouse does not move)
    Getting the mouse to move while holding the button (right now you have to keep tapping)
    You have to send both dx and dy otherwise it will not work.
    It works
    Set a flag on down and start a timer.
    Clear the flag on up.
    Send events until the flag is cleared.
  17.    #17  
    Is there anyway to make the javascript accept keystrokes from the Pre's keyboard as well?

This way you can have the screen/webpage used for mouse control plus other PC centric keys (F1, tab,Esc,Alt, etc.) while the better keyboard is already there.

I just found similar products for the iphone which are actual apps but might be doable via couch surfer.
    iphone-ipod-touch-mouse-and-trackpad-keyboard-apps
    Last edited by Mannyman; 06/26/2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added animated gif to show Peter the HW
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    Is there anyway to make the javascript accept keystrokes from the Pre's keyboard as well?

This way you can have the screen/webpage used for mouse control plus other PC centric keys (F1, tab,Esc,Alt, etc.) while the better keyboard is already there.
    I'm guessing it's possible. just need to hook on keypress events.
    In the same way that it's done for arrow keys.
  19.    #19  
    It works

I am currently using arrows to make the mouse move, which does not make it the most practical approach, but the cursor does work.

Any luck?
    I would love to be able to type on the Pre's keyboard and use the screen like a track pad, maybe with some special keys along the bottom and mouse buttons.

That would be awesome! ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast