Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Wow this thread is full of drama!

And credibility = post count? Oh I don't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    The pre is still selling and is also STILL being returned at incredibly high rates. You still think palm doesn't need to do anything despite the high return rates and defects reported?
    What is the return rate on the Pre? You said it was "incredibly high", do you have any numbers? Any source. And please, don't use the forum as your guide, unless you want to literally count them, and then compare that number to actual numbers sold.

I suspect that the number of returns is lower than many on here perceive them to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    The pre is still selling and is also STILL being returned at incredibly high rates. You still think palm doesn't need to do anything despite the high return rates and defects reported?

People have every right to expect high quality after paying good money. Are you saying consumers should be perfectly content with multiple issues involving screen mobility, light leakage, blotches, heat, AND LOSS OF RECEPTION? on a phone?!?!

For many people, this pre has clearly been a disaster, and as a result, it will be the same for both sprint and palm.
    and recalling it wouldn't be the end of palm? I mean what should they do? Pack it up and file ch. 11? How about move along and replace phones as these issues are pointed out and continue to improve and tweak the manufacturing process without scaring off new investors? I'm on the phone with sprint ordering a 3rd Pre because of "defects" I'm not trying to be the fanboy here but honestly what would you do if you were Rubinstein?
    Quote Originally Posted by smonme View Post
    sorry but your post is either beyond biased or you havent actually bought anything from apple, first off replacing a phone or anything with apple, is TONS of BS and depending where you go, you can be standing on line up to 6 hours just to speak with a customer service rep who will either not know enough about your phone to fix it, or tell you to go home and restore your phone in DMU mode with the fw. (my own personal experience with apple and about 6 iphones.) Obviously since you are taking your wife's pre back your having a better experience than the OP, probably because you are taking the phone back to its POP (place of purchase), Palm doesnt need to take care of anything because the phone is still selling and their customer support is helpful if your claims are reasonable. Nothing is perfect when it is first released into the public even average consumers know this fact, and complaining about product pricing, thats just lame.
    Dont even try to school me on Apple's policies dude. I worked for them both at the retail level & repair level for years. So suffice to say, I think I probably know them better than you with your "6 different iPhones" (which is highly suspect I gotta say).

First off, no. You didnt "wait 6 hours in a line to talk to the service dept", so stop lying. If you did, you either went to the freakin busiest Apple Store on the planet the day after Thanksgiving or didnt bother to make a Genius Bar appointment your "6 times". You make an appointment, you show up at that time, you get seen. Pretty simple really.

And also, they dont "fix" iPhones, ever. If there was a flaw, they replace them, just like they do with iPods. Apple doesnt repair iPods or iPhones, just Macs.

So tell us another one.

And the "Palm doesnt need to take care of anything because the phone is still selling" is just sad. Yeah, its their phone & they're the manufacturer, but screw it after it leaves the factory, eh?? Its our problem now I suppose?? Get outta here.

And just for the record, I dont own an iPhone (never have) nor an iPod, Im Pre all the way. I just dont like people like you spreading nonsense.
    Last edited by peestandingup; 06/25/2009 at 12:12 PM.
  5. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raegan76 View Post
    Every time I read yet another post that sounds like whining, I have visions of Veruca Salt and her chorus of "I want it NOW!!!" (If only we had some Oompa Loompas around....)

OP, I feel for ya...but I wouldn't expect too much sympathy on this board. I think many of us are just getting tired of the hyperbole and generalizations and the overall whininess. I'd offer you more solutions to your problem, but it appears that you have your mind set on want you want and anything else will be, to quote you, "unacceptable."

But, all is not a total loss, there are some very valuable lessons to be learned:
    1. Be cautious when buying first gen anything. The problems with the first iPhone were well-documented so it really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that first gen Pre's have their faults as well. I'm sure the first owners of plasma tv's had all sorts of complaints.

2. Do your research. If you're going to plop down a lot of money for something, research it extensively. Yes, this may mean waiting a few months or even a year to determine the functionality of an item but when you do finally get it you'll have a clear set of expectations based on the item's performance history and not your own opinion.

3. Buyer beware. Most items are not perfect. Most items have problems. Even ones that cost a lot of money. Don't expect something to be better just because you paid more for it.

4. Purchase from an authorized dealer. Much of what you're dealing with could have been prevented had you purchased the phone directly from Sprint.

5. Protect your investment. When shelling out a lot of dough, do the research. Is it in my best interest to purchase a protection plan? What is the best way to insure my phone in case something goes wrong with it? These are questions that need to be asked prior to spending a lot of money.

And just in case I haven't noted enough cliches for one post, here are a few more:
    Patience is a virtue
    Good things come to those who wait
    You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar
    No one likes to listen to a whiner (I made that one up myself)
    Treat others the way you would want to be treated
    Hakuna Matata
    wasup noobie
    1. im well well aware its a first gen and could care less, but that doesnt give palm an excuse for ****ty customer service

2. trust me i know more about this phone than you ever will. i work in the business myself and answered alot of Q's about this phone over a week before it came out, in addition i happen to be a tech

3. i expect to get what i paid for

4. they are an authorized dealer, actually their a sprint platinum authorized dealer which is why they had 40 pre's at launch

5. what does insurance have anything to do with it?

oh, and a cliche for you

learn to walk before you run and trip
    Last edited by d94; 06/25/2009 at 12:37 PM.
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Nastiness?!?! Quit clutching your pearls, what he said could hardly be construed as nasty. He's got an incredibly valid point about the drama mamas on this board.
    Hey Sharon, glad someone didn't think my post was nasty.

(BTW, I'm a *she* but it's all cool. )
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    4. they are an authorized dealer, actually their a sprint platinum authorized dealer which is why they had 40 pre's at launch
    I apologize then, I thought for sure that you mentioned something about buying it from an indirect dealer, having your account billed, and then having the phone shipped to the dealer. If you bought from a Sprint store who had 40 Pre's at launch, then you should be cool. Take it them.

Good luck!
    oh, and a cliche for you

learn to walk before you run and trip
    Interesting thought, especially considering the source. Go back and reread your original post, and see if you ran before you walked...

Raegan76 Don't worry about the retort. Your response was spot on. No one should come here to "vent", and expect only positive responses to their venting. If they put it on a public forum, it's open for discussion.
  9. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raegan76 View Post
    I apologize then, I thought for sure that you mentioned something about buying it from an indirect dealer, having your account billed, and then having the phone shipped to the dealer. If you bought from a Sprint store who had 40 Pre's at launch, then you should be cool. Take it them.

Good luck!
    its kinda wierd how they classify everything lol
    the store is an indirect dealer, but they're also a sprint exclusive platinum store..yet he had more pre's than most of the corp stores around here
    but they are taking care of it. ill have a new device come tomarrow

guess if anyone has problems with their phone dont bother contact palm..as the place of purchase is your best bet for replacement. and while i knew this from the get go i figured palm would still take care of me, but at least now i know and can save all those who've read this thread the trouble iv been through
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
  10. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Interesting thought, especially considering the source. Go back and reread your original post, and see if you ran before you walked...

Raegan76 Don't worry about the retort. Your response was spot on. No one should come here to "vent", and expect only positive responses to their venting. If they put it on a public forum, it's open for discussion.
    yep and the purpose of this thread was to let others know what to expect when they directly try to contact palm for help.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    yep and the purpose of this thread was to let others know what to expect when they directly try to contact palm for help.
    BTW , thanks for your original review on Pre, I thought that was what made me buy plus the GOAT review.

Now coming to the topic , why on earth PALM would care for you ( I mean exchange for you).

If you have a manufacture defect ,
    you will take it to sprint store then they will replace it either with a new one or a refurb one

If you don't have a manufacture defect then

If you have TEP you get a new one ,
    if no TEP , then good luck defending yourself to death and proving that the defect is related to manufacturing .

In either way you are going to waste time , since you are a tech you should know better that defects do happen,

why don't you plain return it and activate your old phone if you have it.

This will result in getting your money back and you will not be out without a cell phone.

You can always wait and see things get fixed and a better Pre comes out in six months.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I scratched my Pre the other day. You're right - it really does scratch pretty easily. Pissed me off royally. Now what? I thought about marching right into Sprint and berating them and Palm for foisting an inferior product on the market.

I, uh, also scratched the fender on my new truck about two weeks after I got it. Yeah, stupid dealer wanted like $450 to fix it. Can you imagine? I just spent over 22 grand on a new truck, and both the manufacturer AND the dealer knew that if I rubbed that back fender against a mailbox that it would indeed damage the finish.

What is this world coming to? All all manufacturers like this?

Unfreakingbelievable!
    Exactly!! You ran before you walked, and tripped.

The first resource should always be where you purcahsed the product. Instead, you went directly to Palm, and then somehow seemed outraged that it didn't work for you.

I too, deal with tech companies on a regular basis. I've never interrupted a first level support person who has to do a basic sanity test before dealing with my problem, and/or escalating to the next level. It's all part of the process. Usually, when they decides they're "special" and need an end around the process, they'll end up rubbing they're sore head, sore from banging their heads up against a wall.

However, it's not that you've shared your experience that some (inlcuding myself) find offensive. It's your conclusion.

You decided to try to go directly to Palm, instead of the purchase location, and then insist to the world (that chooses to read it) "Palm doesn't care about its customers - Corporate escallations didnt even care"

Bull.
  14. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomascco View Post
    I scratched my Pre the other day. You're right - it really does scratch pretty easily. Pissed me off royally. Now what? I thought about marching right into Sprint and berating them and Palm for foisting an inferior product on the market.

I, uh, also scratched the fender on my new truck about two weeks after I got it. Yeah, stupid dealer wanted like $450 to fix it. Can you imagine? I just spent over 22 grand on a new truck, and both the manufacturer AND the dealer knew that if I rubbed that back fender against a mailbox that it would indeed damage the finish.

What is this world coming to? All all manufacturers like this?

Unfreakingbelievable!
    oh my bad i didn't know i was the one who made the defective screen in the factory. did you even read this thread? there's a difference between you physically damaging your phone and the phone coming physically defective
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Exactly!! You ran before you walked, and tripped.

The first resource should always be where you purcahsed the product. Instead, you went directly to Palm, and then somehow seemed outraged that it didn't work for you.

I too, deal with tech companies on a regular basis. I've never interrupted a first level support person who has to do a basic sanity test before dealing with my problem, and/or escalating to the next level. It's all part of the process. Usually, when they decides they're "special" and need an end around the process, they'll end up rubbing they're sore head, sore from banging their heads up against a wall.

However, it's not that you've shared your experience that some (inlcuding myself) find offensive. It's your conclusion.

You decided to try to go directly to Palm, instead of the purchase location, and then insist to the world (that chooses to read it) "Palm doesn't care about its customers - Corporate escallations didnt even care"

Bull.
    I personally think its irrelevant which he went to first.

Let me ask you this. What if he HAD went to the point of purchase & they told him he couldnt exchange it for a few more weeks because of a waiting list? What would you suggest then?? Keeping in mind that he liked the phone & service (meaning didnt wanna just return it & get a refund). Just suffer through it after he paid big bucks for a phone thats not functioning correctly??

Im sorry, but Palm made the phone & they need to stick by what they made. Everyone else does. Sprint didnt make the phone. Since when the hell did we stop holding manufacturers responsible for the stuff they make & taking it up with the point of purchase only??
    Last edited by peestandingup; 06/25/2009 at 04:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post

Let me ask you this. What if he HAD went to the point of purchase & they told him he couldnt exchange it for a few more weeks because of a waiting list? What would you suggest then?? Keeping in mind that heliked the phone & service (meaning didnt wanna just return it & get a refund).

Im sorry, but Palm made the phone & they need to stick by what they made. Everyone else does. Sprint didnt make the phone. Since when the hell did we stop holding manufacturers responsible for the stuff they make & taking it up with the point of purchase only??
    Uhh..... IF what you explain in your second paragraph happened, I, being a patient person, would understand that supply is limited and demand is high, and if I were offered a replacement once a new shipment came in after a week or two I would accept that offer.

Furthermore, Palm DID resolve the OP's issue to the best of their ability. They gave the OP two options, sending the phone in to get repaired or doing an advanced exchange. The OP did not want to accept either of those resolutions, and so Palm had little more they could offer. And if you're going to mention the $400 hold, that is not uncommon practice. With most phone companies, if you are getting a replacement mailed to you, you will receive a charge of the retail value of the phone on either a CC or on your account until the device being replaced is received by the manufacturer, after which the hold on the account is released. Companies have to protect themselves.
  17. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Uhh..... IF what you explain in your second paragraph happened, I, being a patient person, would understand that supply is limited and demand is high, and if I were offered a replacement once a new shipment came in after a week or two I would accept that offer.

Furthermore, Palm DID resolve the OP's issue to the best of their ability. They gave the OP two options, sending the phone in to get repaired or doing an advanced exchange. The OP did not want to accept either of those resolutions, and so Palm had little more they could offer. And if you're going to mention the $400 hold, that is not uncommon practice. With most phone companies, if you are getting a replacement mailed to you, you will receive a charge of the retail value of the phone on either a CC or on your account until the device being replaced is received by the manufacturer, after which the hold on the account is released. Companies have to protect themselves.
    so your telling me that you'd accept sending in your two week old phone for repair and be without a phone for a week or exchange it for a refurb with a $400 hold because palm would rather sell its phones to new customers than take care of the ones its already got? your an easy one to please, guess my standards are just higher than yours
  18. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post

Let me ask you this. What if he HAD went to the point of purchase & they told him he couldnt exchange it for a few more weeks because of a waiting list? What would you suggest then?? Keeping in mind that he liked the phone & service (meaning didnt wanna just return it & get a refund). Just suffer through it after he paid big bucks for a phone thats not functioning correctly??

yeeeppp..glad you see the light
    yeeeppp..glad you see the light
    That's almost laughable. You didn't get what you wanted by calling Palm, but you did get it by going to the dealer, but now you say he "saw the light"...

Wild.

Sorry guys, I disagree with both of you. Palm didn't sell you the device, the dealer did. That's who has the initial responsibility.

Palm does care about their customer, rest assured. Sprint is their current cutomer.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    so your telling me that you'd accept sending in your two week old phone for repair and be without a phone for a week or exchange it for a refurb with a $400 hold because palm would rather sell its phones to new customers than take care of the ones its already got? your an easy one to please, guess my standards are just higher than yours
    When did I say I would be without a phone? See, I always have a back up phone in case anything ever happens to my primary phone. Its called planning ahead. And if the refurb works and is in better condition than the brand new one, then why would I care? If it also is defective, guess what, it goes back and I get another replacement. This is not rocket science.

I also would never call Palm because of a problem with my phone. In fact, you are the first person I have ever heard of calling the manufacturer because of a problem. Most people understand that you return to the original point of purchase.

This has nothing to do with "high standards". It has more to do with being a good customer who is willing to work with what you're given and understanding that hey, its just a phone and is really not all that important in the grand scheme of things, or being a d-bag and throwing all kinds of hissy fits.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast