Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    or buying a TV from best buy and calling sony to replace it

dont understand why people dont go back to point of purchase here...
    Hmm, maybe people aren't going back to the point of purchase because there aren't any Pre's to exchange WITH at PoP. I'm having the same issue. The two halves of my phone feel like they are going to separate, and I can literally fit coins in the gaps of my phone. I got on Best Buy's "list" over a week ago, still nothing. Sprint told me it would be after the 6th until I got one from them. Palm is the last hope for some people, before they loose long time customers. They really screwed the pooch with the build quality on this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Hmm, maybe people aren't going back to the point of purchase because there aren't any Pre's to exchange WITH at PoP. I'm having the same issue. The two halves of my phone feel like they are going to separate, and I can literally fit coins in the gaps of my phone. I got on Best Buy's "list" over a week ago, still nothing. Sprint told me it would be after the 6th until I got one from them. Palm is the last hope for some people, before they loose long time customers. They really screwed the pooch with the build quality on this phone.
    Mines fine, just because you read forum posts about people talking about build issues doesn't mean that its happening to everyone, it is still a small percent.

Anyway we are getting off topic here, with all new phones there is demand, with demand comes wait lists, not much anyone can do about it, talk to sprint about extending your 30 day return policy (they did it for me just in case)
    Just picked mine up today. Th unit has bleeding at the bottom and top of the screen. And a lose slider. Saw it before i walked out of the store. It was the only one they had. Sales rep just put me on the waiting list for a replacement. I was on for 2 weeks already. And he told me they would call me when it's in. So i have the use of this one for 1-2 weeks. No biggie to me. I also could have just turned on my old phone and waited. Sales rep didn't even ask if i wanted to do that. I am already on the Pre plan so no money to be made for Sprint by upgrading me to a new plan..... No problems here from Sprint. They have been dead on so far. And i am a 11 year customer who has seen the BS service they used to have.
    It's not the life you lead but
    the style in which you live it.
    Yeah i've never contacted the phone manufactures when a phone i own doesn't work.

Go to a Sprint store.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I hate to jump on the POP bandwagon but it seems you willfully put yourself through an access amount of hassle for no apparent reason, unless its your own impatience which is obviously the case. Palm does seem to generally care about its customers (or we wouldnt have seen an update that addresses the battery issues at all ). My suggestion to you is get on the waiting list for a replacement and "suffer" through your fully functional phone till then. It does seem like only a small percentage of people are experiencing problems with their pres, I bought 2 opening day (june 6th) and both work just fine (1.0.3 update fixed my battery issues).
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I had a similiar issue with Palm last week as well. My 1st palm would not connect to the network but internet worked fine. So i called Palm as well and the lady told me she would have a 2nd level agent call me back within 24hrs, that was saturday morning and heard nothing. Sprint store ended up swapping out my phone saturday after noon after sprint bricked it.
    I think it is kind of obvious what is happening. You have a "typical" Pre and want a "perfect" one. The "defects" you mentioned are typical Pre quality and you are likely to be unhappy with any Pre they send you. You are a customer that isn't worth trying to keep. Not blaming you...just stating the obvious.

Specifically regarding your issues.

1. very bad back light bleeding on the bottom of the screen.
    2. poor backlight on the keypad
    3. battery would not last longer than 6-8 hours regardless of settings, i even tried hard resseting the device and this did not help.
    1. I've not seen a Pre that doesn't suffer from some type of screen bleed or smudging.
    2. They all have uneven keypad backlighting.
    3. 6-8 hour battery life is not unusual for a smart phone. My brother has an Iphone and sometimes gets below 6 hours. Any improvements in battery life will come from software updates that optimize it. There were serious battery problems with the initial release that have been fixed with 1.0.3. I used to get 3-4 hours max. with Hotmail synched. Now I get through the day with about 20-30% charge left.

I suggest you exercise your right to return the phone within 30 days. Either get a competitive product or wait for the next generation product from Palm.
    If you take this to a Sprint Corp store or service center they should exchange this no questions asked. Does not matter that it was a VAD order. You are within your thirty days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remedy1978 View Post
    It is amazing how everyone is ready to jump on this guy. God forbid someone purchases a subsidized phone for $320, signs a two year contract and expects the purchase to be free from defects. He contacted the company who manufactures the device, and who should honor the warranty. If he has only had the device for two weeks, there is no reason he should not be entitled to a new one instead of a refurb.
    nobody has said that he shouldn't be getting a new phone, I think we all agree that he deserves a new phone that is free of defect and not a refurbished unit. He also should not have to send it in for 2 weeks for them to repair. However this phone was just released and everyone knew that there would be a shortage, BE THANKFUL THAT YOU HAVE ONE and wait patiently for a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post

Apparently i was wrong. I had mine ordered via VAD (charged to my account and shipped to the store)

I can either send in my device for a week to get repaired or they will take a $400 security deposit via credit card and will do an advance exchange. I explained that this was unacceptable.
    #1. Um could you explain what "ordered via VAD" means? If you didn't buy it from Sprint Store then Sprint will not exchange it with good reason...

#2. Palms offer to exchange was very reasonable you should have taken it, refurbished or not the new phone was probably guaranteed to work defect free...Sounds like you have absolutely ridiculous expectations that somehow you should be treated differently than any other person should under the exact same circumstances. Life doesn't always go the way you want it to. That's why you have to COMPROMISE sometimes.
    Sounds like a product of parents who gave you absolutely everything whenever you whined. Now you expect the rest of the world to do the same. The unit isn't broken. It works, you're unhappy with it's construction. Just take it back for an exchange or rebuy. Big deal.

And, for what it's worth. If they were willing to take $400 from you as "insurance" that you would return your current unit, AND do this over the phone, then they had to have been wanting to do this via a credit card. Which means you would never have paid a dime. You would never have seen your bank account drop (unless you only have one of those checking account cards).

BTW. When dealing with others, I would suggest you use the word, "unacceptable" more sparingly. It has connotations which are derogatory to the person you are speaking to. The more you call me an *****, the less you're going to get out of me because I'm just as good at being an @$$ as you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Sounds like a product of parents who gave you absolutely everything whenever you whined. Now you expect the rest of the world to do the same. The unit isn't broken. It works, you're unhappy with it's construction. Just take it back for an exchange or rebuy. Big deal.

And, for what it's worth. If they were willing to take $400 from you as "insurance" that you would return your current unit, AND do this over the phone, then they had to have been wanting to do this via a credit card. Which means you would never have paid a dime. You would never have seen your bank account drop (unless you only have one of those checking account cards).

BTW. When dealing with others, I would suggest you use the word, "unacceptable" more sparingly. It has connotations which are derogatory to the person you are speaking to. The more you call me an *****, the less you're going to get out of me because I'm just as good at being an @$$ as you are.
    Sometimes I'll click on a thread when I see you have responded regardless of the topic just to read what you have said!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Okay I worked retail for 5 years.. I do agree that Palm should do something about it, I do agree that Sprint should do something about it.... Its a new product, there's going to be a few mess up's... What I don't agree with is them sending you a refirb phone... Now it would be different if you had it for almost a year.... But two weeks... There's nothing wrong with wanting something you spent your hard earned money on to work fine when you just bought it.... Now most people go to the point of sale to exchange/return and alot of them blame the retailer for the problems when they didn't make the products.... But... if the retailer doesn't want to take care of you call up there boss... I know the more you complain, you will get what you want.... I've been all over the place... What i'm saying is... There's nothing wrongn with wanting a defect free product when you buy it.... I totally agree, I do think palm is doing all they can, and also sprint.... I'd go be put on a waiting list.... If they won't just call there boss... it works.... GOOD LUCK!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Sometimes I'll click on a thread when I see you have responded regardless of the topic just to read what you have said!
    ROFL

Yeah, my friends always tell me that the part of the brain that filters what we say is lacking in me.
    While I agree that Palm should be more helpful, those who say go to Sprint are correct, I think. OK, I don't know what purchased from VAD means, but I don't think Palm is selling the phone directly, so I assume the OP bought from Sprint. Other's with defective phones have had little trouble getting Sprint to replace them. It seems to me the OP has made this far more complicated than it needs to be.

If Sprint sold the phone, it's Sprint's responsibility to replace it. And based on the vast majority of posts here, they will. Without charging you for another phone first.

As for expecting Palm sending a new phone with no security other than the promise you'll send the old one back, are you on crack? How long do you think Palm would remain in business if they started sending out free phone to everyone who claimed to have a defective one? With no way to verify who you are, or that you even own a Pre currently, you think they should just send you a phone, and hope you dont disappear with it? Start looking at the world from a broader point of vew than your own.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    BTW - I would demand a new unit as a replacement also. Or just return it and move on.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    What's the big deal here? Take it to a Sprint store and get on their waiting list for a new one. It is not likely to be any better, though. In the meantime, you have a Pre that works. You don't have to do without a phone for a week, and you will not be out any cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    BTW - I would demand a new unit as a replacement also. Or just return it and move on.
    OK, OK! I have to admit that I would too. But I would go about it more subtly. If they refused to exchange I would just cancel within my 30 days and rebuy. So much easier than fighting with people and dealing with stress and aggrevation. Anything that's going to get me annoyed is hardly worth the effort if I have an alternate route.

I worked in CS and many other service jobs to put myself through school. It's def not fun being on that end having an irate customer yelling at you insisting you do something which you have no authority (and perhaps no means at your job level) to do. It's especially degrading when you tell the customer, "No" because you were required to by policy or management then you pass the customer to a manager who in turn tells the customer, "Yes".
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ke-refurb.html

The sprint store is where you get a replacement. It took 10days for mine to come in.
    Buy your phone from a sprint store next time! They have already replaced 2 of my phones for brand new ones! The last one i didnt even want them to replace because i just had a $30 cleaskinz installed on. The walked back out with a brand new one and credited my acct $40 for the skiz. Sounds pretty easy to me
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast