1.    #1  
    Well i for one i'm confused because i think wi-max was the future of 4g with sprint but apparently this hybrid might come. Which is cool. I read an article that said the potential max speed of LTE is much higher than wi-max. This could go into the next pre and which would mean insanely past speeds. anyhow. here is the article. decide for yourselves.

Think the EVDO network is too slow? Relief could be in sight. The FCC recently approved the LG M13 which, according to the filing, is a "cellular/PCS CDMA/EVDO and 700MHz LTE Device".

All those acronyms point to a handset or modem capable of working on the current generation of 3G CDMA networks (Sprint and Verizon) as well as the upcoming 4G LTE networks that are set to be deployed in test markets by the end the year. While this isn't the first FCC approved LTE capable device, it does mark the beginning of hybrid CDMA-LTE handsets or modems that will start to make their way into our pockets during the transition period between CDMA being phased out and LTE installed in its place. In the near future, CDMA handsets (including new iterations of the Pre) should come with the hybrid technology allowing users to Facebook and Twitter at the speed of LTE. [FCC Filing via engadget]
    http://gizmodo.com/5301729/evdolte-h...pproved-by-fcc
    Funny thing is that 3g is already pretty good on the Pre. Imagine 20mbits per sec on mobile.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Isn't LTE going to soon be the standard with Cell providers? I believe even GSM providers are planning on LTE rollouts in the future.

It would certainly make life easier if all cell providers adopted 1 standard and went with it.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by alundre View Post
    Isn't LTE going to soon be the standard with Cell providers? I believe even GSM providers are planning on LTE rollouts in the future.
    from what i got wi-max is already rolling out. i never read about sprint using LTE but verizon and AT&T were planning on using it some years in the future

Gizmodo - Giz Explains: What AT&T's 7.2Mbps Network Really Means - At&t
    Quote Originally Posted by alundre View Post

It would certainly make life easier if all cell providers adopted 1 standard and went with it.
    That's also what I had thought. Also that Sprint is implementing WiMax as a sort of interum.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    That's also what I had thought. Also that Sprint is implementing WiMax as a sort of interum.
    yes. thats what is going on i believe. the 4g that sprint is rolling out right now is wimax and it blows the stuff at&t is rolling out of the water. The future for everyone is LTE hopefully
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Funny thing is that 3g is already pretty good on the Pre. Imagine 20mbits per sec on mobile.
    I for one am all about speed. I have Optimum Online Boost, and consistently get 30 megabits a second, and have never had a problem (avg 1TB/month off usenet), and I'm considering moving up to Optimum Ultra, 101mbps.

That said, 20mbits per sec on the Palm Pre would be pretty useless unless tethering. I wish that it would be worth having it for the phone itself, but what do you really need all that speed for? Most sites I check load in about 15 sec, including engadget, precentral, digg, and some other misc news and gadget sites. I think it would be faster if the phone could load the page faster, and that it isn't based on the speed (2-3mbit should be fine to load most sites in 5 sec)

When it gets to the point that the hardware can really make use of 20 mbit/sec, then i'll be excited.

For example... Zune HD will have 720p output, with an HDMI connector. I do not have a zune and probably won't get one either, but it would be F'n awesome if I could dl a nice quality vid from my pre in a few min and then play it on an HDTV wherever I am.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. On the PC side, capability came before speed, making it needed. Kinda makes me mad seeing that the speed might be available before we can make good use of it on the hardware side.

I'm not too well versed on cell phone computing in terms of the actual hardware, I've just seen what the current lineup of phones can do. I'd be happy to be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    from what i got wi-max is already rolling out. i never read about sprint using LTE but verizon and AT&T were planning on using it some years in the future

Gizmodo - Giz Explains: What AT&T's 7.2Mbps Network Really Means - At&t
    Based on this graph, it looks like the TESTED mbps of LTE should match the Theoretical max of HSDPA..

7.2 mbps anytime is still awesome though.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco84 View Post
    Based on this graph, it looks like the TESTED mbps of LTE should match the Theoretical max of HSDPA..

7.2 mbps anytime is still awesome though.
    if you look at the graph and consider the age of the tech. Tested and theoretical get closer as time goes on. Look at EVDO. And HSDPA wont reach its max. it will probably always be lower. And LTE..even if it doesn't reach half its theoretical max will still be leaps and bounds beyond HSDPA

so what are really trying to say
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    if you look at the graph and consider the age of the tech. Tested and theoretical get closer as time goes on. Look at EVDO. And HSDPA wont reach its max. it will probably always be lower. And LTE..even if it doesn't reach half its theoretical max will still be leaps and bounds beyond HSDPA

so what are really trying to say
    I was just joking that the LTE theoretical max is very high, but the way the tested benchmarks have been going that the test for LTE when it is widely available will be at the HSDPA theoretical max (7.2mbps) based on bar size.

The other thing I was trying to say that even if that does happen, and it is that low, I think 7.2mbps (consistently) for a cell phone is awesome, even if the theoretical is 150+.

At least, for the next few years.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco84 View Post
    I was just joking that the LTE theoretical max is very high, but the way the tested benchmarks have been going that the test for LTE when it is widely available will be at the HSDPA theoretical max (7.2mbps) based on bar size.

The other thing I was trying to say that even if that does happen, and it is that low, I think 7.2mbps (consistently) for a cell phone is awesome, even if the theoretical is 150+.

At least, for the next few years.
    i get you but if you read the end of the article. Verizon pushed LTE to 60 Mbps. 7.2 mbps is awesome but by the time its widespread and up to speed it looks like it will be old news. When they test the 3gs in Chicago where HSDPA is supposed to be. it was only worked at 1.6 Mbps. although the theorize it may have been connected to the old 3.6 network but that was barely faster then the 3g. 7.2 is the theoretical. history has shown it will get close but probably wont it hit and it wont be widespread until 2011.
    A device destined for Verizon perhaps? They're suppose to be going LTE.

I want EVDO Rev B. I hope Palm/Sprint provides us with a future update to EVDO Rev B.
    alundre:
    Yup, I wish all cell companies use only GSM and LTE, but, hey, I can only dream...
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    WiMax will be plenty for a smart phone by itself. I believe it maxes out at 144Mb/s down and 35Mb/s up which is right around the same as LTT. WiMax m will offer up to a Gigabit of bandwidth from what I've read.