Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Didn't apple do it in like 3 months?
    No. It's more like roughly a year.

iPhone: January 9, 2007
    iPhone 3G: June 9, 2008
    iPhone 3GS: June 8, 2009
    Maybe its enabling cpu scaling...from what I read its impessive in saving battery and things seemed snappier...not sure but no way differant processor..that wouldn't require new hardware which is the most unbelivable part.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 06/23/2009 at 10:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Didn't apple do it in like 3 months?
    No. 1st iPhone June 2007. 2nd iPhone July 2008. 3rd iPhone June 2009. There were no hardware changes in between.

People may be referring to the drop in price by $200 that occurred in September 2007 but Apple decided to give a $100 credit to the pansy-*** early-adopters who cried foul.

As for the OP... this is complete BS. This guy should be fired because people will put off decisions to buy a phone for a month or two. Considering 2nd quarter is closing up next week, Sprint/Palm needs all the sales they can get now to show how successful the launch was.
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    he could be right, but not understanding.

it would be very easy for palm to release a SOFTWARE update which bumped up the speed.

the processor in our phones is capable of hitting 800something MHZ
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zoopra9457 View Post
    As for the OP... this is complete BS. This guy should be fired because people will put off decisions to buy a phone for a month or two. Considering 2nd quarter is closing up next week, Sprint/Palm needs all the sales they can get now to show how successful the launch was.
    If you canned every cell phone sales rep who spouted BS about the phones they're selling, you'd have some pretty empty stores.
    Um not so fast everyone, I heard the same thing as well from a guy I know who's working at Palm on their hardware team. He said there's a new chip coming from the old team at IBM who used to work on the 68k series chips for Apple, and they're a little jaded that Apple replaced them with Intel chips, so now they're going to kill Intel's Atom platform and come out with a new chip to also beat out the iPhone. It's supposed to be very impressive in the lab tests with WebOS. Not really, but wouldn't that be awesome anyway?
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    If you canned every cell phone sales rep who spouted BS about the phones they're selling, you'd have some pretty empty stores.
    So true... most of the time they don't even knowing they are lying.
    Last edited by zoopra9457; 06/23/2009 at 11:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    Um not so fast everyone, I heard the same thing as well from a guy I know who's working at Palm on their hardware team. He said there's a new chip coming from the old team at IBM who used to work on the 68k series chips for Apple, and they're a little jaded that Apple replaced them with Intel chips, so now they're going to kill Intel's Atom platform and come out with a new chip to also beat out the iPhone. It's supposed to be very impressive in the lab tests with WebOS. Not really, but wouldn't that be awesome anyway?
    That would be funny if there wasn't a high chance we see 5 threads about this and iphone fanbois breaking the scoop to engadget who will do a whole thing on it being a response to 3GS specs....
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Go Palm. Have it ready in about a year, and I'll gladly spend to upgrade. Move the keyboard down just a smidgen - my fingers smack the top edge. I'll get used to it, but on Pre2 I want a couple more mm up there.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I think it's possible they could be putting out a higher capacity battery, but I doubt it. Not this soon. The thing is, I think they could clock the processor higher with a software update, but that would drain the already anemic battery even faster. The answer to that would be to put out a higher capacity battery in conjunction with an update like that.

If they actually do something like that, I will complain to Sprint and Palm and demand the higher capacity battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by kabamm View Post
    Go Palm. Have it ready in about a year, and I'll gladly spend to upgrade. Move the keyboard down just a smidgen - my fingers smack the top edge. I'll get used to it, but on Pre2 I want a couple more mm up there.
    Negative on the slider action please!
    I heard (or made up, I forget) that the Pre 4GS also comes with holographic video recording and a bluetooth implant letting you control the device with your mind
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I was just gonna make that up. thanx for the update benny
    Would never have gone there if not for the fantastic things I have heard in the sprint store. It's better then Dr. Who. And don't get me started on iphony fanboys, did you know the iphones processor is actually made from cells taken from steve jobs brain?
    Quote Originally Posted by msc1 View Post
    I think that this is complete BS, but just wanted to check with everyone here. Today I went to Sprint to pickup my replacement Pre (first one crashed when slider was closed..).

So the Sprint rep was telling me that within a month, Palm is going to upgrade the processor to make it "twice as fast" and will also be shipping it with a higher capacity battery. He said this wasn't being advertised and would "just show up and look the same as the other phones."

I smell BS. Anyone know if there is even a grain of truth to this?

That's a load of BS, the only improvements being made are software glitches to improve capabilites and performance, and hardware fixes. Don't expect to see a new faster CPU in the device anytime in the immediate future.
    No, what Apple did, literally a few months after the device was released, was reduce the price. Not change the hardware (other than firmware / OS bug fixes) And they offered a refund / credit tho those who paid the higher price, so as not to instil a riot.
    It may happen, but only if they are going to lower the price substantially on the current Pre. They could make the current compete with 3G and the new Pre with 3GS at the same price point $199.

Otherwise, this is a no go. They have to keep the current pre going if for no other reason to supply refurbs to all these people with hardware problems. If those people start getting "upgraded" Pre's I can GARE AUN TY me and many on here will "need" replacements. Palm doesn't want or need this.
    No. 1st iPhone June 2007. 2nd iPhone July 2008. 3rd iPhone June 2009. There were no hardware changes in between.

People may be referring to the drop in price by $200 that occurred in September 2007 but Apple decided to give a $100 credit to the pansy-*** early-adopters who cried foul.

$100 credit to the apple store.

yaaay....?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    It may happen, but only if they are going to lower the price substantially on the current Pre. They could make the current compete with 3G and the new Pre with 3GS at the same price point $199.

Otherwise, this is a no go. They have to keep the current pre going if for no other reason to supply refurbs to all these people with hardware problems. If those people start getting "upgraded" Pre's I can GARE AUN TY me and many on here will "need" replacements. Palm doesn't want or need this.
    Im pretty sure with the way the Pre is selling there are no plans to change the hardware, 2 weeks in and we are on update 1.0.3 so palms updates has already surpassed that of apple (2 updates in 2 weeks, is pretty good) its apparent to me at least palm is focusing on making the sofware better. So I am sorry you were lied to by a sprint employee. IMHO walking into any store that sells a phone sprint, bestbuy, radio shack assume whoever your talking to knows less about the phone than you do. Sad assumption yes, but 95% of the time its proven right.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    No hardware changes?

I guess it was a year, for some reason i thought it was a short time after they released the 3G, maybe it was the announcement of the 3G i'm thinking of.

I bet they start shipping with that 1350mAh battery...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast