View Poll Results: Have you returned or exchanged your pre because of poor signal?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope! It works just fine!

71 55.04%
  • Yes! I exchanged it, and now I am happy as a clam!

3 2.33%
  • Yes! I exchanged it, and the new pre is just as bad!

6 4.65%
  • Yes! I returned it - I love it, but I cant use it! :-(

6 4.65%
  • Not yet, but I think I will have to within my 30 days

43 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Well, 12 days left before all of us first day pre owners lose our option to return the phone without ETF. I am still finding the reception troublesome as posted in many other threads in this forum.

I am a previous vzw user, and have called sprint c.s. 4 times, and have not been offered a free AIRAVE. This will presumably make the phone usable at my home (it isn't now, but other sprint phones are) but still barely acceptable at work. I am not sure if I can keep this phone.

I have also spoken with palm support, and the technician there claims this is not a problem with the pre, and is not aware of any effort to find a software solution.

So! Has anyone out there returned their pre (either exchanged it or returned it)?

Bill
    Last edited by drwillec; 06/23/2009 at 07:48 PM.
    I was thinking about it prior to getting my airave but now its made the Pre reception normal again hence no need to return it, there are some minor annoyances still though like going from outside towers to the airave you will undoubtablely drop the call while it reconnects, but going from airave to outside towers works fine, .... also even though reception is def better in my apt, and in most areas, i still (like today ironically) have dropped calls now and again for no apparent reason ....

Other than that I think Sprint did the right thing by offering the airave to us to help with poor reception on a brand new device, it also keeps us as customers that much longer and diffuses the thought of returing the Pre which has to be one of there more expensive handsets ...

Strange how you haven't been offered one, did you try acct. services....
    When your connected to sales just ask to be transfered, and don't let them in on what you want, just explain only they can help you solve your concerns
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I am still really close to returning it (have not tried to exchange for a different one). But from this poll, 70% are happy with their phones, which probably translates to far greater than that as happy folks are not as interested in threads like this!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I'm about to have to make that decision. I LOVE this phone, but as a Verizon user for 15 years (well, Cellular One -> GTE Wireless -> Verizon), I'm used to getting a signal pretty much everywhere in my area and Sprint is just not as good here. I have one spot on my drive home where I believe I'm going from Sprint to Roam and it drops the call every single time. I've asked myself "is it really that big of a deal? I could just avoid calling there." But I know my frustration would grow.

I change my mind every few hours but I think the smart thing to do would be return it and wait for it on Verizon. I will still lurk here and be jealous of all the cool things the people who got to keep their Pres are doing. :-)
    Last edited by autiger; 06/24/2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Returned it. I'm still checking precentral for signs of a signal solution. I really want to use the device, when it can act like a phone.
    -posted from my prprpr..$um$..$Treo$. *$sigh$*
    I was with the return before EFT date up until this week. I think Sprint is recognizing there is issue with the reception. I think they are trying to tweak their system for the PRE. Yes it still is not great at home, 2-3 bars if I'm lucky. But what is better is that I can hold a conversation for a length of time without any dropouts.

If all goes well this week. I'll be porting my current number this weekend.
    Returned...
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I keep telling myself I'm going to return it every time another call drops but I love the damn thing. Call quality is poor and it drops a lot due to the signal issues.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Didn't think I would even think about returning it but the phone is worthless at work and dies in 9 hours due to a poor signal. The phone is almost unusable anywhere indoors. I'll wait till the last minute to see if 1.04 helps, and if not, it prolly goes back and Sprint will get kicked to the curb too.
    I have weak signal at work, but acceptable (haven't missed any calls). Great signal at home. I have wifi turned on all day. So no real signal issues for me. Love the phone.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    either 1.04 comes out in the next 7 days and fixes this problem for me (unlikely), or I will have to go back to my 700p on vzw. I must say, it is going to be really difficult for me to part with this phone. I otherwise love it.
    :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by drwillec View Post
    either 1.04 comes out in the next 7 days and fixes this problem for me (unlikely), or I will have to go back to my 700p on vzw. I must say, it is going to be really difficult for me to part with this phone. I otherwise love it.

+1 -- Still holding out hope for an 11th hour fix. I'd really hate to have to part with the Pre but I also require a functional phone...
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drwillec View Post
    I am in the same boat as you, though I have a few more days to wait for a 1.04 update since I picked my phone up on 6/12.

I have also called Sprint customer service and ultimately retention and informed them that if the signal in my home is not better that I will end up taking the phone back for trade in within my 30 days. I did not try and lie to them and tell them I was about to cancel now, they did not offer an Airave to me for free. I told them I would not pay for an Airave. I would simply switch to the iPhone.

I, like you, really like this phone, but am giving it a fair chance while in my 30 day trial period.
    So far I'm good because I live right in the middle of town so the signal is strong. Also, my company installed signal antennas throughout the building so I'm almost always around a good signal. Someone suggested updating network settings in the phone, not sure how well that's working for people.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I (as have others) have updated network settings and prl perhaps half a dozen times, and I have not noticed any improvement. Other sprint phones have adequate signal at my home and work, but the pre, sadly, does not.
    Got a replacement phone 10 days ago due to signal woes. The newer unit is better, but still drops calls and loses data signal occasionally. This has never happened to me on Verizon in 13+ years. So very sad.

Was going to return it this weekend, but after I got reamed today by Verizon on the ETF when I ported over to Sprint, maybe not so fast. I was 22 months into a 24 month contract, but they still want to nail me with a $70 ETF.

Maybe I'll tough it out, and wait for the Pre fixes to come out, rather than go back to Verizon who had my service for 13+ years and yet still wanted to stick it to me.

I'm fairly certain that the signal issues are strictly software related. And therefore will eventually be worked out.

Why do I think that?

Well if you switch the phone to EVDO only, the signal strength is 5 bars and rock solid. So the Sprint signal is definitely there and attainable by the phone. But when in Hybrid mode, all hell breaks loose due to the internal processing that is programmed into the phone. Could be power diversion, or a myriad of other issues. I have no clue how or what is goig on in there, but its clear the signal is present, and attainable.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    This is such a tough topic. It depends so much on your location, signal quality and other available signals in your area. I spent a day down town and had great signal and great phone performance, but near my home, Sprint is very weak and Verizon not much better. My Airave doesn't have great range either, so..... If my phone has to choose between several weak signals, it seems to jump around, Sometimes it seems good, others 1 bar or none. I think there is something wrong with the signal selection algorithm. Or Sprint is trying to hold on to their signal too aggressively and should let the phone roam sooner.
    PS> this is also what kills my battery!!!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    The bars on my Pre jump all over the place in my apartment, but I haven't dropped a call when I'm in there yet. Considering I got no signal at all in my apartment with my iPhone on AT&T (couldn't even send a text message), then this is a definite improvement.

I know I get decent coverage here because my Amazon Kindle pretty steadily indicates a decent amount of bars (and if I'm correct that uses Sprint's network) so either it's something physical with the Pre antenna or hardware, or it's software.

It hasn't impeded my calling ability though - granted, I've had it for like one day.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ndawes View Post
    I think there is something wrong with the signal selection algorithm. Or Sprint is trying to hold on to their signal too aggressively and should let the phone roam sooner.
    PS> this is also what kills my battery!!!
    This is exactly my issue in my home as well.

I, too, switched from Verizon (whacked with a $70 ETF, too) and never had issues in our house. My wife is still with Verizon and she gets 3-4 bar constantly on her phone.

When my phone Roams to Verizon I get 4 or 5 bars, but then it bounces back to Sprint and I get 1-2 bars, max. If it just stayed on Verizon, instead of trying to "tune in tokyo" on the Sprint network my service would be much better in my home.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    6 days to go (five if your sprint store is not open on Sunday's) for us release day purchasers to return without etf. I am going to have a hard time parting with this phone, I have grown quite fond of it. Unfortunately, I just cannot use it as my primary phone given the reception issues I have been experiencing with it. I was hoping that 1.0.4 might help in this matter, but alas, it did not. My pre must be returned.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast