Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    Just wanted to post the update on battery utilization as promised.

after 12 hours w/ 18 cards open and numerous phone calls plus Wi-Fi, bluetooth and GPS enabled:

Battery at 23%

For a total of 68% battery consumption in 12 hours. Not the best battery life I've ever seen but I think it's safe to put to bed any worries about leaving cards open excessively draining the battery.

18 cards open at one time is way too many to manage anyways. Just leave email, sms, phone, contacts and whatever else you like to quickly switch back and forth...this is the way the device was designed to be used. Who really cares if it takes a few seconds to load the email application? I haven't closed mine in days!!! Isn't that faster than making at least 2 moves to get an application open on any other device?
    That's a discharge rate of 5%/hour. Mine, and from other reports I've a consistent group of other Presters, have a discharge rate of 10%/hour. Obviously, that's half the battery life.

Hmm...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by samid View Post
    in reply to the original thread topic.....the pre is slow. keeping cards open makes it faster, but it is definitely slow. navigating through the old palmos was muuuuuch faster. i like all of the screen effects when opening an app, but i would much rather have it go faster. i know this is slightly different, but i also think that the dialpad app is super slow. its frustrating. especially when using speed dial or switching to the call log screen. ahhh
    I recognize that the Pre could be faster and, for me since 1.0.3, smoother. But it's not so much slower that the Pre's overall performance when considering its multitasking is mitigated at all.

Yes, it might take 4 seconds to open an app on the Pre but only 2 seconds on the iPhone 3G S. However, that 2 second advantage is completely lost the second time you have to open the app on the 3G S, and then it becomes a deficit on the third. Thus, the raw benchmark of "twice as fast" is meaningless in real-life use.

Once Palm optimizes WebOS further, and gets that to 3 seconds (the iPhone 3G S is still 50% faster! will be the mantra), then the iPhone's overall design flaw--and the Pre's advantage--will be even more evident. But the Pre may always lose the benchmarking game when it comes to individual apps. And that, I say, is irrelevant.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    That's a discharge rate of 5%/hour. Mine, and from other reports I've a consistent group of other Presters, have a discharge rate of 10%/hour. Obviously, that's half the battery life.

Hmm...
    I'm not a heavy voice user. Those are the numbers I came up with and it seemed pretty reasonable to me. I'm sure others will have varying personal experience.

I totally agree the gesture experience and scrolling has smoothed out a lot since 1.0.3 was released. As for other complaints about slowness, I just don't see it. If I'm on a web page and click a link it opens right away, the same goes for emails, calendar entries, sms entries and so on. Once an application is open actions taken in the application seem pretty fast to me. Sorry for the others who seem to not be having the same experience but I just don't see it.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
  4.    #44  
    I totally agree the gesture experience and scrolling has smoothed out a lot since 1.0.3 was released. As for other complaints about slowness, I just don't see it. If I'm on a web page and click a link it opens right away, the same goes for emails, calendar entries, sms entries and so on. Once an application is open actions taken in the application seem pretty fast to me. Sorry for the others who seem to not be having the same experience but I just don't see it.
    Aaargh! That's exactly what I'm talking about. On mine, everything has slowed down since 1.0.3. For example, clicking on an email account takes some second to open, whereas it was almost instantaneous before. Same for clicking on an email or messaging notification, or clicking an email, or deleting an email and waiting for the list to move up to fill in the gap.

Again, as I've said elsewhere, there really seem to be two different experiences with the Pre. Could be wrong, of course, but it's just bugging the crap out of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Aaargh! That's exactly what I'm talking about. On mine, everything has slowed down since 1.0.3. For example, clicking on an email account takes some second to open, whereas it was almost instantaneous before. Same for clicking on an email or messaging notification, or clicking an email, or deleting an email and waiting for the list to move up to fill in the gap.

Again, as I've said elsewhere, there really seem to be two different experiences with the Pre. Could be wrong, of course, but it's just bugging the crap out of me.
    That sucks. It should not be like that. Have you tried doing a hard reset? I would try doing a hard reset and see if the speed improves before doing a restore. Then see how it does after the restore.

Like I said, I can click notifications, back gestures, open emails and the Pre responds pretty quickly. Maybe there is something loaded that is slowing it down....good luck.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
  6.    #46  
    That sucks. It should not be like that. Have you tried doing a hard reset? I would try doing a hard reset and see if the speed improves before doing a restore. Then see how it does after the restore.

Like I said, I can click notifications, back gestures, open emails and the Pre responds pretty quickly. Maybe there is something loaded that is slowing it down....good luck.
    Yep, I've tried everything. And that makes me wonder what makes some of different from others. Two camps there are, in terms of performance and battery life, and I'd love to find the correlation.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123