Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My launch day pre had a dead puxel, wobbly screen(just a bit, no oreo), didn't like to slide open without having to grab the screen, and the keyboard was way mushy. Build wuality was meh. Got a replacement one two days ago and its 10x as solid.
    You decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Quote Originally Posted by cscoot03 View Post
    Thanks I appreciate that. I started off with an LG-160 to 3 of them, Sanyo's, HTC... Mogul,Touch,Touch Pro, Centro's (3), 755p (3), 800w(2). Treo Pro ( not going to say how many) & now the Pre (2 so far) & they didn't send me a return package & gas isn't cheap.
    Sounds crazy -6 of the 8 Palms...- but I like Sprint, but I'll tell you I'm saving my money for another phone! Thanks
    I had the Mogul too and it was awful for me. I hear they fixed a bunch of issues with a firmware update eventually, but after fighting with all of the Treo 700p problems, and then two months of the Mogul, I just didn't have it it me to go through it again, so I went to the Centro. Of your list, I'm surprised you had so many Centro issues. Other than my BB Curve, that has been the most rock solid phone I've had. I still have it as a backup too. You must have your share of bad luck for sure. Did you like your Touch Pro?

A buddy of mine just got a brand new BlackBerry on Nextel through his work, and it developed hardware problems. Wouldn't vibrate in vibrate mode for one. He got another new one, but his BB admin said that out of about 200 new BB's, they've had to replace already about 50% of them. Now that is not a good track record! Ouch!
    I hate to play devils advocate (well actually I love to), but my wife and I both got Pres same day (launch day) different stores (she went to one store I went to another, in case one sold out).

Our phones both have that light leakage at the bottom. Now it's so negligible that I couldn't even see returning it because of that. Granted it should be perfect, I can live with that light leakage that's only noticeable when you look for it.

As far as slider, both of our phones have what I would consider solid sliders. There is a TINY bit of wobble when the slider is closed but again, nothing that like an oreo effect.

I'm not the type of person to stand by and accept garbage either so don't mistake me for a passive, I'm not. I would really like to see this oreo effect on YouTube to see if people are overreacting, maybe set their expectations ridiculously high, etc. If you're phone has the negligible amount of wobble like mine has I think people are being ridiculous. If it's really wobbly then I can understand. I just haven't met anyone with a Pre that had a wobbly *** slider. My friend said his was but I never saw it in person.

Because our phones have been good I don't even want to take it in for an exchange since if there is a slider issue I might come out worse.

About the battery issue, I've closed my phone twice and had it reset on me. My wife has never had it happen. And don't close it hard or soft, I just close it. So I can let that slide too. I mean I remember my iPhone freezing up a few times not related to battery but software. Windows Mobile froze all the time. So twice out of lord knows how many times I've messed with my slider is OK.

YouTube video of the oreo effect anyone???
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Here's a post on this very site showing what I'd call a mild oreo effect:

http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-hardware-issues

There's a completely visible gap in the two halves and the top half slides clockwise enough to cover the power button and make it harder to power the phone on while holding it in only your left hand.

I've had three Pre's. The first was solid as a rock, the 2nd was like the one in this video, and the 3rd that I have now is solid like the first.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    LoL...i think u bout an iphone by accident... You may find that multitasking, gestures and synergy don't work too well. ;-)

lol, but if multitasking and gestures are working well but synergy isn't, you have a real Pre.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Just got my 6/14 manufacture date Pre activated on 6/20 replaced today. Original had a horrible loose oreo, dead pixel, and peeling on the lip opposite of the usb port.

Replacement manufactured on 7/11, solid as a rock, also agree with other comments that the keyboard feels more clicky/solid/less gummy, and just more solid overall. No dead pixels either.

If you are within your 30 days and have a problem, don't settle.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DMage View Post
    Replacement manufactured on 7/11, solid as a rock, also agree with other comments that the keyboard feels more clicky/solid/less gummy, and just more solid overall. No dead pixels either.

If you are within your 30 days and have a problem, don't settle.
    Totally agree. Got mine replaced today as well. Day 29. Build date of 7/11 for me too. Very glad I stuck to my guns with the Sprint reps. This will be the phone that lasts me for at least a year.

BTW, what is Sprints upgrade policy for a two year contract? I'm assuming that Sprint will have a new webOS phone by next year. Funny, I view webOS a lot like I see OS X. It's not the hardware, it's the software that makes the Palm pre so sweet. Yeah, there is a lot of room for improvement, but I've always enjoyed being on the bleeding edge of technology - as opposed to the cutting edge
    Dammit. I'd say that my Pre is mechanically pretty much perfect - build 6/28/09, got it 7/12/09. The reason I say "pretty much" is because the earpiece has a slight vibration at lower frequencies, which annoys the **** out of me. My BB did the same thing for a long time (granted it was much worse) and it drove me insane. I have a bit of the Oreo effect, but it's not more than I would have expected (about 1mm total from left twist to right) and still feels pretty solid. No gaps whatsoever. In case you're wondering, my call timer is at 6997 and I've only had it for 8 days. Lulz.

Now I'm paranoid about replacing it with a new one that has bigger issues. But seeing as one of this thing's main functions is a phone, I feel I am justified in taking the risk, especially if I have to spend a year or more with it...

Quick question - is anyone else's keyboard creaking as they type? The buttons feel fine, but there is a pretty annoying creak when I hit any buttons in the left/bottom half.
    Mine creaks a little. The slider is a bit wobbly too, but I can't really tell if it's just broken-in wobbly or "Need to go fight Best Buy for a new Pre" wobbly. This is one from the "new" batch by the way.
    I just repurchased one from Best Buy (warranty date 07/07/2009) and the back cover is ridiculously creaky... My launch day pre wasn't this bad. I can see why some reviews described it as having a plasticy feel. I'm thinking of getting the touchstone backing. I heard that it's much sturdier. Can anyone tell me if this is the case?

Couple other points. My launch day Pre had a clicking at the top left, but this one has the clicking on the right side (when squeezing the phone slightly). It also has two stuck pixels and virtually no screen wobble.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I suspect that there will be less flex with the touchstone backing as it has the conductive charging circuitry. I have heard this is a better sturdier solution. It also reduces the finger magnet aspects.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post

BTW, what is Sprints upgrade policy for a two year contract? I'm assuming that Sprint will have a new webOS phone by next year.
    The policy is if you spend $69 a month on your plan then you receive the 2 yr discount every 12 months instead of the standard 24 months.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    I got my Pre replaced yesterday and the warranty date is 7/11/09. So far no dead pixels, very little screen wobble, the right side is very creaky when open and the battery drain is worse than my old one. I took it off the charger at 6:00 am and by 8:30 am it was down to 67%. I had not even looked at the thing since taking it off the charger. I have another 6 days before my 30 days are up.
    got my 7/8/09 phone

not a thing to compain about
    the left side is getting a lil gap
    but nothing to worry about
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    I got my Pre replaced yesterday and the warranty date is 7/11/09. So far no dead pixels, very little screen wobble, the right side is very creaky when open and the battery drain is worse than my old one. I took it off the charger at 6:00 am and by 8:30 am it was down to 67%. I had not even looked at the thing since taking it off the charger. I have another 6 days before my 30 days are up.
    These lithium ion type batteries usually take a few days of charging/recharging to gain the most from them. I wouldn't panic just yet, and make sure you try the battery drain prevention tips found on this site. Also, if you have a weak Sprint signal (which I suffer from at home) the battery will drain much faster. When at home, I manually set my cell radio to 1xRTT only (done at ##EVDO# on your phone pad). Then I use my WiFi for any data transmission. This combo works very well at reducing battery consumption. I'm hoping Palm issues a tweak to the radio to resolve my weak signal issues.
    My phone was the July 8th batch that you speak of...

and my keypad went out...
    and my phone randomly turned off.
    Well, I was driving by the Best Buy where I purchased my Pre. This Best Buy was a demo store and had the most at launch here in Chicago. I thought I'd try and exchange mine. The two stuck pixels, clicking and creaking weighed on my mind. I got a sweeheart of a BB rep. I explained the problem with her in the nicest manner, and she went on about how many Pre's have been returned to them... I asked, "really? I thought it was mostly a few on the web?" She said that they have had so many problems that she could not recommend it to anyone based on the amount of returns. Another person was sitting next to me returning hers! (I though "UGH!")

However, I thought I'd give it a try. The one she pulled out felt a ton better. No creaking, no clicking. no wiggle. I didn't see any stuck pixels, but there is light leakage at the bottom. This is by far the best one I have had. The light leakage bothers me. I'm going to really put this baby to the test in the next few weeks, but will not be exchanging next time, if I have any issues.

EDIT: My warranty date is 07/07/2009 (same as the first one I got at this store)
    Last edited by Enlil242; 07/21/2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added warranty date
    they should let you exchange the crap first phones for these new batches
    There's nothing different about this batch -- people are still receiving defective phones. If some people have had better luck this time around, that's great. I've got a wobbly slider + creaking from this batch, and people are reporting dead pixels and, as shown in the post above, light leakage.

It's wishful thinking to believe that Palm fixed any issues this fast and air-expressed a new shipment over to the US a month after the initial release. It's only logical to expect that you won't be seeing any hardware improvements/fixes for a least a few months.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerboy View Post
    You got tricked! you were sold an iphone!
    Don't think he was tricked.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast