Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Just generating a hypothesis, but does anybody think that Palm is deliberately producing the Pre's at a slow rate so that they can FIX build quality issues as they go? AKA, possibly fix the "wobble" in next months batch? Has anybody heard anything like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by mahylo View Post
    Just generating a hypothesis, but does anybody think that Palm is deliberately producing the Pre's at a slow rate so that they can FIX build quality issues as they go? AKA, possibly fix the "wobble" in next months batch? Has anybody heard anything like this?
    It's a possiblilty; seems logical that the company wanted to be cautious and not roll out 1M defective units all at once.

However, the lead times for the shipments on these items is months due to the ocean shipments from china. So the company has to put its orders in months in advance or else they are stuck with huge air freight bills
    That was a rumor going around before launch -- seems to me this came out of a Palm share holder meeting (?? -- anyone remember for certain?). Then people started speculating that Palm and Sprint were lying and actually creating a shortage to create hype.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Most of these build quality issues are overblown. I have the slightest "wobble" in the top half of the Pre, but only if I try to wobble it. I would never have noticed if it weren't for the ocd nature of this forum. I bought my Pre on day 1 and it has been perfect. Then again I am not deperately trying to find fault with it either..
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon6 View Post
    Most of these build quality issues are overblown. I have the slightest "wobble" in the top half of the Pre, but only if I try to wobble it. I would never have noticed if it weren't for the ocd nature of this forum. I bought my Pre on day 1 and it has been perfect. Then again I am not deperately trying to find fault with it either..
    You might not feel that way if you were on your THIRD Pre like I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    You might not feel that way if you were on your THIRD Pre like I am.
    I'm on my 3rd and my mom is on her 2nd one.. Gotta love this quality...
    For everyone upset with issues with the Pre, I just have the following to say.

Look at the BBerry Storm and how many OS updates they needed to make within just the first month or two. Look at how many hardware issues they had as well. Then, look at the early 1st gen iPhone and how many cracked screens (similar to what some Pre customers have experienced), OS instability issues etc. Then, look at early 3G iPhones and how many cracked back cases they had and how many broken mute on/off switch complaints were made from just regular non-abusive use. These things happen with early batches. It's a known risk as an early adopter and if you didn't want to take the risk you should've waited till the phone was out for about 6 months before purchasing. And if you never thought there would be ANY risk getting the first batch of a newly developed phone, then I would have to hit you up for money since you seemingly have money to **** away without knowing exactly what you're paying for up front.

Bottom line is, if you prefer a phone with fewer issues (since there's never a phone out there with NO issues) or issues with workable solution that's been hashed out by many users and many forums, then switch your phone to an older smartphone that's been out for at least a yr in production and full consumer use. But even then so, there's no guarantees since if you look at the BBerry Curve, that thing's continuously had issues and that's been in production for yrs. Simply put, switch to something old and out-dated because the chances of that phone having most of the major issues fixed with be the older/out-dated ones and be happy with it and life. Life's too short to revolve yourself around something this meaningless.
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptik-pre View Post

Look at the BBerry Storm and how many OS updates they needed to make within just the first month or two. Look at how many hardware issues they had as well. Then, look at the early 1st gen iPhone and how many cracked screens (similar to what some Pre customers have experienced), OS instability issues etc. Then, look at early 3G iPhones and how many cracked back cases they had and how many broken mute on/off switch complaints were made from just regular non-abusive use...
    TRANSLATION:Be forgiving of poor quality - things will get better.

NOTE: Previous Palm products prove this philosophy wrong.
    Sorry guys i also have a Blackberry Storm.. and that had/HAS about 10 TIMES more issues at launch.. it took 6 months to get the first OS update!!!

there is a large GAP around the screen.. pressing the screen around the edges for ALL phones is iffy sometimes. Every Phone made has ridiculous light bleed at the buttons.The Phone with Firmware that it shipped with is almost Useless.. memory leaks right out of the box, the accelerometer doesn't know what side is up and when you go to answer a phone call... BOOM it rotates and you hang up a call.. or worse, You pick up a call when you want to hang it up... Fanboy answer on crackberry.. don't use the touchscreen when answering calls! thats what the green button is for.. your an *****.. LoL Battery Drain issues were all over the place... Oh and the lag that everyone is talking about on this forum... good thing they never saw the Storms lag. These People would have Burned Palms HQ down if they had the issues the Storm had lol . Be thankful

Ahh and that gap around the screen that you can physically wobble now? FULL of dust, And the touchscreen has actually become less responsive..

The latest OS has fixed a lot of issues.. took 6 months for it. Yea you could have gotten a "leaked" OS but the truth is... 9 out 10 Storm Users didn't even know there were leaks nor would even try.

Guys we are lucky to have a phone with such little issues!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mahylo View Post
    This is a logical and possible scenerio. However, i think the need for Plam to start making money and sprint tp avoid losing any more customers would have been greater, and therefore Plam would want to make and release the phones as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    TRANSLATION:Be forgiving of poor quality - things will get better.

This is SOOOOOO true.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    #1 production delays are due to one thing, MONEY! They (both Palm and Sprint) don't have much so can't take the chance of getting stuck with excess inventory.

#2 early adopters always get screwed. We are like glorified beta testers, but hey, we got the new toy in our pockets first!
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptik-pre View Post

Look at the BBerry Storm and how many OS updates they needed to make within just the first month or two. Look at how many hardware issues they had as well. Then, look at the early 1st gen iPhone and how many cracked screens (similar to what some Pre customers have experienced), OS instability issues etc. Then, look at early 3G iPhones and how many cracked back cases they had and how many broken mute on/off switch complaints were made from just regular non-abusive use. These things happen with early batches. It's a known risk as an early adopter and if you didn't want to take the risk you should've waited till the phone was out for about 6 months before purchasing. And if you never thought there would be ANY risk getting the first batch of a newly developed phone, then I would have to hit you up for money since you seemingly have money to **** away without knowing exactly what you're paying for up front.

Bottom line is, if you prefer a phone with fewer issues (since there's never a phone out there with NO issues) or issues with workable solution that's been hashed out by many users and many forums, then switch your phone to an older smartphone that's been out for at least a yr in production and full consumer use. But even then so, there's no guarantees since if you look at the BBerry Curve, that thing's continuously had issues and that's been in production for yrs. Simply put, switch to something old and out-dated because the chances of that phone having most of the major issues fixed with be the older/out-dated ones and be happy with it and life. Life's too short to revolve yourself around something this meaningless.

Palm doesn't have margin for mistakes like BB and Apple. I think we are starting to see issues about this Phone (don't hit me too hard) but I think Palm is using us as beta testers again. Not quite as bad as the 700p but I think Palm dropped the ball by the following issues;

No Micro SD
    Keyboard not functional for some people
    only 8 gig memory (when apple has 32)
    resets and some calls not coming thru!

I returned my unit yesterday, my wife still has her unit and likes it but her phone has reset several times.

The Sprint manager in the Odessa store said they are going to fix the issue so that u can receive calls while u surfing on the net, (I said I dont think so)

Sprint I think is working on issues and most staff at sprint tech support are knowledgeable

I will get the BB Tour and I will try the Eos when released and try to live on less memory! Hope the keyboard is good!
    Probably not production delays, but when the ships full of Pre's left China, they were stopped and held up by the Somalian Pirates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillen_i30 View Post
    Probably not production delays, but when the ships full of Pre's left China, they were stopped and held up by the Somalian Pirates.
    Route from China to US is via Africa????? Bad attempt at a joke!
    Gas Man: I agree that Palm doesn't have the same luxuries as BB and Apple, but at the same token, the only way a number of these issues would be resolved with more initial functionality implemented at initial launch (such as maybe MSN messenger, a full version of Dataviz rather than file reading only, etc.) would've been to hold up launch for another 6 months (just a guess based on timeline of SDK release since it'll take a month to a few months after SDK release to get some real 3rd party apps on the phone that make supplement for Palm's lack of implimentation on the Pre themselves (such as ringtones for SMS, Email, etc Customization)). From what I was reading back before the release of Pre and just after the announcement at CES, a lot of people were crazy about when it would release and "demanded" palm release it ASAP. I remember first speculation of release was set for mid-March? Short of the angry Pre wanting people who would've been pissed having to wait another 6 months, part of Palm's strategy may have been to release their new phone before Apple and BB release their new ones? The difference there would be that for an Apple, you would be strapped to AT&T short of unlocking and using it with even crappier T-Mobile which has a 3G frequency NOT compatible with any non-US 3G T-Mobile phone (it's only 1700 instead of 1800 like everyone else on GSM 3G) so using an unlocked iPhone 3GS is super crippled on T-Mobile. BB's release will be an interesting one. So long as they don't repeat what happened with the Storm, it should be a good one.

In terms of the Micro SD, 8GB mem, that's a hardware thing and maybe to keep the cost of the phone down they had to take out some of the additional hardware stuff? You could make the argument that the iPhone has 32 and is $100 more to buy with the 16 being the same price as the Pre. But how much more is ATT subsidizing on the iPhone to lower the cost? This is after Apple proved to ATT their phones sell. What has Palm proven with the Pre so far to Sprint? Nothing. Apple initially released a 4GB and 8GB model with the 4GB model priced high for what it's worth in comparison to your not yet proven to sell 1st Gen Pre? Then look at how you can't swap batteries on the iPhone, working on ATT who admits that their 3G networks was somewhat incapable of handling all the iPhones running on 3g which caused ATT to cripple certain such as disallow the use of SlingMedia on the iPhone when running on 3G, etc.

For the Keyboard not being functional for some, that argument can be used on any and every other smartphone out there. The BB 8800 was hard for me with the buttons so close, the iPhone had no feel since you were simply touching glass, the 680 had small buttons too, then 600 was seemingly a good one for my fingers, but the Pre seems to work perfect with my thumbs. It's a hit and miss depending on the person NOT the phone.

Resets and calls not coming through I have nothing to say only because this too is a hit and miss. I've had 0 resets (short of the mandatory ones from the updates) since I got mine on first launch day and all my calls, txt, etc have come through just fine. 1.0.3 OS fixed some reception issues, but it didn't work for some. Apple suffered this same exact issue with their iPhones and had to release a couple of updates before it was resolved. Same with the battery issue. In fact, Apple released an updated OS which in turn hurt battery life when it was released to improve battery life.

Look, my impression is, if Palm didn't release something by summer of this year, the company would had to have given up and shut down. Cash was running out and the company's investors only have so much patience for their ROI (some as part of the agreement of investing is hitting milestones by a certain time frame, but who knows what their agreements were). So, to me, there's a mixture of reasons from money, to meeting their consumer's demands of quick release, having a good enough phone to release while dealing with the issues on the way going on forward, etc. It's always hard to find that happy middle ground and there's no easy formula for it. At least for now, they've sold enough to have some money to show for to investors and so forth to still be able to stay in the game. Also, they have some moneys now to continue developing the fixes and improvements. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but whatever.

My apologies for the long winded rants... I'm recently semi-retired so I get bored easily with too much time on my hands in the morning and late evenings.
    No offense, but I did not buy a BB Storm. I bought a Palm Pre. Different companies and different products.
  17. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I'm on my first Palm Pre and it is a delightful device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Hopefully, the fact that WebOS is not tied to ACCESS (what a debacle that was...) will provide for a better maintenance cycle for the Pre than those previous devices (yeah, I'm talking about you 700p).
    -Tony
    im on my first pre as well, no build quality issues whatsoever, battery is fine
    bought it on launch day and i have dropped the phone twice, skipping it across my desk with slider open and once straight to wood floor with no damage , i carry in my pocket without a protector and just have to wonder what some people are actually putting there phones thru to have as many issues as posted.
    They took a smartphone with a complex build that looked amazing on paper and gave it to the lowest bidder in China. It is what it is. A nice OS wrapped up in literally the cheapest materials available and inconsistant builds with poor construction.

Now they're considering the EOS which, for now, looks like a stretched beer coaster with terrible hardware. Yuck.

I dunno... I'm holding off and going to watch how these new upcoming Android phones turn out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast