Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there any sort of word about Palm making more Pres? I was torn between getting the iPhone 3GS, but at the store closest to me the pre-order was well over 500 people... They have stock right now, btw. I put my name on pre-order for a Pre at 6 different stores. One store I was even 17th in line, others around the 30 mark. I have called them a few times to check on status and the said they are getting an average of 1-2 phones every other week.

Quick of it... Should I just get the iPhone or stay on the line for the pre? With iPhones still having stock and the Pre showing no signs of getting a phone within a few months.

Is this just a complete failure from Palm? I would hate to go to AT&T; Sprint has treated me right for around 10 years, as long as you don't count the mail in rebates.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I walked into a Sprint store last Friday in Kansas City and asked if they had any PRE's and the had 6 or 8 of them. Just keep looking.
    1 to 2 phone every other week? I don't think so.... All the other posts I've read on here indicate that the stores are moving throught the lists pretty quickly. OP is really inconsistent with that and sounds like BS.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    1 to 2 phone every other week? I don't think so.... All the other posts I've read on here indicate that the stores are moving throught the lists pretty quickly. OP is really inconsistent with that and sounds like BS.
    Gotta agree with you there. The waiting list at my local store is about 70, going up and down every day as they said they are receiving shipments EVERY DAY.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Not to mention how lame it is of the OP to make threats of leaving the carrier because they can't get him a phone right now. I guess he will just have to either wait or go home and take his ball with him...
    I'm in the same exact situation as the OP. This is my first post after months of lurking. And now I believe I'm near the breaking point.

I'm a 10 year Sprint customer and have been following this phone for sometime now (since my contract lapsed, some 8 months ago). I have been on the BestBuy waiting list since launch weekend (they only had 5 phones). I got on the wait list at position #20. As of a few days I ago I was still at #17 (!!!). They literally have only gotten a couple phones since launch.

Closest "real" sprint store is 50 miles away, and their list has been steadily growing... 30... 40.... 60... and now over 100 people. For a while I regretted not getting on the list, but with it growing, it doesn't seem like it would have mattered. None of the Radio Shacks in my area (and there lots of them) have received any Pre's. I think they are all starting to recognize my voice now too, from calling... lol.

In the meantime, my moto RAZR is on it's last legs (and has been for months). Ugh.

The real torture has been seeing all the Palm Pre commercials and advertising. I can't escape the commercials and ads on the web.... and yet I can't get one to save my life! Everytime I see the ads I think "wtf... why are they wasting their money????" With each commercial / ad I see, I've become more and more agitated over this whole situation.

And now, to top things off, my work has offered to get me an iPhone on their corporate account -- at no cost to me.

You guys have no idea how much as it pains me to even THINK about caving and get an iPhone (after months and months or waiting for something "more"). I'm not sure how I can resist just "giving up" and taking the iPhone. I'm no stranger to the iPhone, and while I like it and hold a high regard for it, I was hoping for something "else", feeling that the Pre was perfectly suited for what needed/wanted.

Sigh.

If Sprint/Palm had their act together, and had the production and distribution better prepared, I would have already re-upped my contract and be safely "away" from the gravity "pull" of AT&T and the iPhone.

Sorry, I was hoping to make my first post something optimistic when I finally had a Pre. That dream is slowly dying with each day that passes not being able to get my hands on one.

:-(

dan curtis
    portsmouth, nh
    Dan, I feel for you I really do, but why didn't you get on the list early? Sprint has been warning about supply and inventory since before the launch. A practical way to to get the phone after waiting months and months would have been to get their on launch day and get your name on the waiting list at a corporate store.
    You're absolutely right. In hindsight, that's what I could/should have done. I just never imagined the supply being this scarce in my area.

I also had the opportunity to camp at Best Buy, and be one of the first five at the door.... and hung out to shoot the shiz with the 4 guys in line the night before launch (I would have been #5). But the "practical" side of me talked myself out of camping all night for a bloody phone (thinking I'd get on the list early enough to have one soon... if not in a couple weeks at worst).

So I feel for the OP of this thread. First post that's sounded just like my situation.... even an eerieness in the simularity of some of his numbers... same number of years as a customer... same place in line. Too strange to be fiction.

dan c
    Update -- just got a call from BestBuy to do the "pre-order" on of the July 8th arrivals for $50.

Hmm.... wait 2 more weeks and get the phone I want, or get an all-expense paid iPhone courtesy of work sooner. If the Pre wasn't so damn cool, the "free" option would of course win. But I'm quite torn.

I suppose if this is my biggest problem right now, life's good.
    After waiting for weeks on a waiting list at my local Sprint corporate store, I complained (Nicely... politely...but complained) about the wait. Anyway, my rep became very apologetic and then ORDERED a Pre for me. It will be delivered to the store, but since it has already been billed to me, it is mine when it gets there. The rep said 3-5 days max.

Perhaps the OP or anyone else with a similar wait issue could request that their store submit an order for them, as opposed to just getting on a waiting list. JMHO, but I think the reps willingness and ability to do this may be an indicator that online ordering is not long off.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I went to a Sprint Store (Not corporate) last week after the lady at the corporate store couldn't give me any timeframe on getting a pre. The guy at the non corporate store went into the system and ordered the pre with a two day delivery. This was on Saturday and my wife picked up the phones tonight. It seems they can order them in the system if they want to.
  12.    #12  
    Wow, everyone here is a **** until someone has the same problem? Good job guys I have a simple question and you start accusations and make a no balls comment... If I wanted to deal with *******s I would go to 4chan.

To clarify, I was looking at getting the phone from Best Buy since I work there part time and get their insurance for cheaper. Plus no mail in rebate. I had an iPhone from work before and it sucked, that was my hesitation.

Anyways problem worked itself out and when I went to work after I got off work they were starting the $50 orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prasamaccus View Post
    Wow, everyone here is a **** until someone has the same problem? Good job guys I have a simple question and you start accusations and make a no balls comment... If I wanted to deal with *******s I would go to 4chan.

To clarify, I was looking at getting the phone from Best Buy since I work there part time and get their insurance for cheaper. Plus no mail in rebate. I had an iPhone from work before and it sucked, that was my hesitation.

Anyways problem worked itself out and when I went to work after I got off work they were starting the $50 orders.
    Wow. That was rude and unnecessary. Perhaps, before you throw a stone, you should look inward
    I dunno man. What seemed rude and unnecessary were posts #3, 4 & 5.

That's why I even bothered chiming in -- I resented the harsh treatment the OP was getting. Had it been me posting the initial question/thread, I would have been the one taking the heat. Just not a very friendly welcome, so I would have felt burned too.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtis603 View Post

That's why I even bothered chiming in -- I resented the harsh treatment the OP was getting. Had it been me posting the initial question/thread, I would have been the one taking the heat. Just not a very friendly welcome, so I would have felt burned too.
    You don't think its lame to say if I don't get my Pre soon I'm just gonna go buy an Iphone? Those on this forum generally are more exited by what the Pre is capable of and did not mind the short wait to get one... I mean seriously, the corporate stores are getting inventory almost every single day. What stores are only getting a few in each month? Radio Shack and Best Buy?? The OP's post does not add up, and hence the less than warming treatment.
    My corporate store (which as mentioned is 50 miles away) has only been getting a trickle of phones. How many per day/week I won't venture to guess. But few enough the the waiting list has steadily grown longer.

I'll counter by saying it feels lame to wait a month for a phone that they are advertising the BEJESUS out of.

I don't think it's lame to say if he doesn't get a Pre soon he'll get an iPhone. It's certainly unfortunate that he's contemplating doing that (when it seems quite obvious the Pre is superior). But I'm in the exact same position, so I empathize. I'll go on to say that if I'm not sure I can wait 2 more weeks for the Pre from BestBuy, and I too may just buy an iPhone. (This isn't just due to my impatience -- it's simply because my current phone is past it's lifespan and has become almost completely unuseable)

It's a lame situation... but not lame to admit that's what you're up against.

i have to agree, were those comments really necessary? the OP had a question, and instead of positive feedback that helps his decision making, those comments seemed rude to me as well. although, i have to say to the OP, coming on any forum and calling people "dicks" isn't a friendly way to respond back.
    My corporate store (which as mentioned is 50 miles away) has only been getting a trickle of phones. How many per day/week I won't venture to guess. But few enough the the waiting list has steadily grown longer.

I'll counter by saying it feels lame to wait a month for a phone that they are advertising the BEJESUS out of.

I don't think it's lame to say if he doesn't get a Pre soon he'll get an iPhone. It's certainly unfortunate that he's contemplating doing that (when it seems quite obvious the Pre is superior). But I'm in the exact same position, so I empathize. I'll go on to say that if I'm not sure I can wait 2 more weeks for the Pre from BestBuy, and I too may just buy an iPhone. (This isn't just due to my impatience -- it's simply because my current phone is past it's lifespan and has become almost completely unuseable)

It's a lame situation... but not lame to admit that's what you're up against.
    They most certainly are not "advertising the Bejesus" out of the pre. Palm can hardly afford the $$$ that's why everything i've seen has been a sprint network ad with the pre at the end. Seriously, Sprint is not spending 1/10th of the ad money that Sprint spent advertising the Instinct, and the few are far between "facebook" ads are proof. I feel bad that you are having trouble getting it, but I just don't see how posting here is gonna help you get one, and I certainly don't see looking at a competitor and saying I can get that one why can't i get this one as being a fair comparison.
    Maybe not in your area -- but in my area there are some aggressive airings of the Palm Pre tv commercials. Went to a couple movies at my local theater -- they aired the Pre commercials on the big screen 3 times before each of the movies. The Facebook ads show up too many times a day for me to count. And when I log into Sprint.com to pay my bill (or futilely look and see if the Pre is available for online sales) they have the Pre on center stage. Compared to the supply and distribution side of things, I still assert they are advertising the bejesus out of it. :-)

I didn't think posting here would help get one in my hands. I was looking for (and imagine the OP was looking for) a little encouragement -- "Hey, the Pre is worth the wait. Don't settle for anything less than a Pre.... etc etc". And maybe a little sympathy. Obviously the internet is a bad place to look for sympathy. This forum being no exception. ;-)

Don't worry. No more whining from me. It's not a problem anymore. Sadly, I threw in the towel. I went to AT&T last night. They rolled out the red carpet for me, and within 20 minutes I was sporting the iPhone I so vehemently avoided for over a year. No waiting list. No aggravated reps with little to no information (through no fault of their own, of course). No worries of whether I'd have to return a piece of 1st gen hardware within 30 days. Not what I thought I'd be doing, but I'm over it. I have a solid smart phone that's more than sufficient.

....to answer the OP's original/last question: Yes, I think this was a complete failure from Palm/Sprint. The phone wasn't 100% ready for primetime -- and neither was the supply/distribution. They lost me, a customer since 1999, and it didn't have to be this way.
    Obviously, you weren't really interested in the Pre or the value of Sprint service to begin with, so Sprint's not losing anything by you heading to AT&T. Enjoy the iPhone. Whatever you saved by your work paying for your iPhone, you will pay in extra service charges within a year.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast