View Poll Results: Does your week-old Pre shuffle side to side?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Mine feels like one solid piece--say, a polished river stone.

24 24.00%
  • Yes, but less than a millimeter to each side.

58 58.00%
  • Yes, and more than a millimeter to each side.

18 18.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For those folks who've had their Pre for at least a week (let's call this a sufficient break-in period), does your slider shuffle from side to side? I'm putting it this way specifically to differentiate between a shuffle and the infamous "wobble," which is due to vertical spacing issues between the top and bottom slider pieces.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Got my Pre on launch. I have only a very slight side-to-side movement in the slider. Barely noticeable.

For those who believe there's a difference in Pres distinguishable by box (I don't), mine came in the white box with black/gray sleeve.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    For those folks who've had their Pre for at least a week (let's call this a sufficient break-in period), does your slider shuffle from side to side? I'm putting it this way specifically to differentiate between a shuffle and the infamous "wobble," which is due to vertical spacing issues between the top and bottom slider pieces.
    Only if I force it, and then only about half a millimeter. I got my Pre on the 6th, and according to the interactive hardware test, I have opened/closed the slider 1701 times (Hall sensor), or 1715 times (Optical sensor).
    you guys come up with the most intersting names...

"Do you have the Side-Side shuffle or the Oreo Twist?"
    I thought this thread was going to ask for a "shuffle" music function by shaking it haha.
    new dance?

actually I have a very slight (less than a millimeter) right side only movement..just enough to occasionally notice.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I said yes to a millimeter, and that would be for both my wife's and I's phones. Though it doesn't actually do it both ways, only towards the right. It doesn't seem to shift to the left at all.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    my wife and I both have a pre. Hers was bought on launch date, mine was bought a few days later. I have a lot of movement at the top when closed, more than 2mm. My wifes is rock solid and does not move at all. I noticed at least 2 floor models that were rock solid as well. I want mine replaced or repaired, it should not wobble like that. Can it be repaired?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    you guys come up with the most intersting names...

"Do you have the Side-Side shuffle or the Oreo Twist?"
    Ah yes, I forgot that someone had already coined the Oreo Twist. Officially: the Side-Side Shuffle and Oreo Twist are one and the same phenomenon.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    your poll options suck. where's the "Yes, a millimeter to each side." choice?!?!?!?! lol.

i would have chosen that one
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by smoresrock View Post
    your poll options suck. where's the "Yes, a millimeter to each side." choice?!?!?!?! lol.

i would have chosen that one
    Yeesh, you're right! And, I used to write market research surveys for a living (many moons ago), and so I know better. Grrr.

For any future respondents, let's say the second option is "Yes, but only a millimeter or less to each side."
    Mine has a teeny tiny bit of wiggle if I force it, but it doesn't wiggle at all if I shake it.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Mine has a teeny tiny bit of wiggle if I force it, but it doesn't wiggle at all if I shake it.
    Same for mine. The only time I notice it is when I'm opening the slider and sometimes when I put the Pre in its holster. Now, the real problem for me is that sometimes it feels like something's broken when I push it in the holster, and it's a bit disconcerting. I could probably live with it if it turns out to be pretty common--other than two stuck pixels, my Pre seems to be in pretty good shape.
    Mine slides back and forth a little. When I look at it, it doesn't seem like much, but just using it normally it's enough to be fairly annoying. The worst is that it does it even when the slider is open, and I like to talk on the phone with it like that. So the entire time I'm one the phone the top and bottom pieces are constantly sliding and shifting ever so slightly. Drives me nuts.
    Mine shuffles a little. Almost not noticeable. Not a problem at all...
  16.    #16  
    Yes, that's another issue. Feels very loose when open and talking. Forgot about that because i've been avoiding it for just that reason.
    compared mine with a coworker's - mine has a decent amount of twisting, a little over a millimeter. coworker's pre has just barely any sliding. also noticed that mine has a slight gap between the halves, causing the twisting. gently squeezing the halves together got rid of the twisting. gonna try to tighten the screws, but otherwise its going for replacement.
    Mine was about if not more than a mm on each side. So I decided to make a fix. Now it is perfect. It does shuffle but is only noticeable if you are looking for it. I have a before and after video on my thread and a PDF download of the tutorial. Link to my thread is in my signature..
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  19.    #19  
    So far, the results are fascinating: 21% no shuffle, 62% some, 15% a lot (rounded, so doesn't quite add to 100%). So 77% or so have the shuffle. Very unscientific, of course, but still interesting.

Bottom line: since mine is pretty minor, it makes me tend to keep it because there not just a great chance of getting one that's rock solid. Or polished river stone solid. Either way.

Now, are my two stuck pixels enough to tip me over the edge? Decisions, decisions...
    Been reading tons on this site for the past two days... seems interesting that everyones seems to only go to the right...as does mine and i have dropped it plenty enough times that it would have messed up the left too if it was because of dropping... brought it back to sprint today and am getting a replacement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast