1.    #1  
    I'm on the fence about if the Pre will really do what I need day to day, in its current software. I'm running a 755p and I will have to give up a ton of PIM functionality. I'm 50/50 right now if it will work for me. However, I really want to start developing for it.

My question is this: Will Sprint have a problem if I buy the Pre for $199, with the 2 year agreement and decide that it isn't ready yet and reactivate my 755p to replace the Pre. I would keep the Pre and Sprint still has me locked in for 2 years. Other than a possible activation fee, I should be good, right?

Then I can use the activation patch to make the Pre work on WiFi and still develop, even if it isn't my current cell phone. Then cut back over if I find enough to do what I need.

Am I missing anything?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Sprint may try to charge you the full price of the phone if you do not have it activated for 30 days. If you buy it at a Sprint store, you also won't get the mail-in rebate unless the phone has been activated for 30 days.
    You have to keep it activated for a time period.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I'm on the fence about if the Pre will really do what I need day to day, in its current software. I'm running a 755p and I will have to give up a ton of PIM functionality. I'm 50/50 right now if it will work for me. However, I really want to start developing for it.

My question is this: Will Sprint have a problem if I buy the Pre for $199, with the 2 year agreement and decide that it isn't ready yet and reactivate my 755p to replace the Pre. I would keep the Pre and Sprint still has me locked in for 2 years. Other than a possible activation fee, I should be good, right?

Then I can use the activation patch to make the Pre work on WiFi and still develop, even if it isn't my current cell phone. Then cut back over if I find enough to do what I need.

Am I missing anything?
    Where the activation patch? I looked around and didn't find anything. Thanks!
    Simply means using the Pre's wifi to get online without it being activated (because you wouldn't be using the data network)
    you'll lose your mail in rebate, so it'll end up being $299. Still not bad. or buy it from a store with an instant rebate and you won't have that problem.
  7.    #7  
    I figured I would keep it going long enough to get my MIR. Not worth $100 not to. But man I wish it had a MicroSD slot.
    Why don't you just ask them. Tell them exactly what you need them to do and a lot of times they will work with you if nothing else but to keep you as a customer.
  9.    #9  
    Funny about my apprehension. I miss some things from the 755p, but there is no way I'm going back. Looks like my Mom's 700 will get upgraded to a nearly new 755p.
    Funny about my apprehension. I miss some things from the 755p, but there is no way I'm going back. Looks like my Mom's 700 will get upgraded to a nearly new 755p.
    I miss my 755p's keyboard for one handed texting
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    I am not ready to switch to the Pre, cause the apps aren't there. But I also don't want to miss out on the mail in rebate so I can get it for $199 instead of $299. Does anyone know how long the $100 mail in rebate will continue for? I don't want to miss out.
    I guess if I have to, I can activate Pre, and keep my 700p in my purse for:
    WWCalc
    Splash Shopper
    Splash Money
    Splash ID
    Thought Manager
    ProfileMD
    Butler (for alarms)

I'm kinda sad about moving on.

Am I missing anything?
    i think you will be just fine... the only thing is its a b*tch to switch back to the pre after you went back to 755.. i did it with my centro and when i wanted to go back to the pre ran into a ton of issues with pre not connecting to sprint data. randomly started working again when a sprint guy was messing with it but i know he isnt the one that fixed. he might of just got lucky.
    I figured I would keep it going long enough to get my MIR. Not worth $100 not to. But man I wish it had a MicroSD slot.
    Yeah actually, if you cancel after the 30 day trial period you have to pay a $200 Early Termination Fee. Forget the mail in rebate. You get the Pre for $299 which is way better then the full price.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeeeeJ View Post
    I am not ready to switch to the Pre, cause the apps aren't there. I guess if I have to, I can activate Pre, and keep my 700p in my purse for:
    WWCalc
    Splash Shopper
    Splash Money
    Splash ID
    Thought Manager
    ProfileMD
    Butler (for alarms)

I'm kinda sad about moving on.
    Just did a quick search for you and most of those apps are certified to run in Classic Some of those apps I did not find but might still work. There are thousands so not all of them have been tested yet. As stated before you can always try it for 30 days and if it's not working out switch back at no cost.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)

Am I missing anything?
    You will be okay. I was in the same situation with my Treo 600 when I bought the Pre. I had to break up my family plan (wife does not need data) and get individual plans, new 2 year agreement and what not. I returned the Pre due to frozen keyboard and all it took was about 20 mins with Sprint to get back to my old contract, old bill, old expiration dates and old phones. No worries. They cannot handle the contract stuff in the store, you'd need to call sprint. However they will activate your 755 upon returning the Pre so you're all set. I even mailed the MIR before returning the Pre, which they said will get rejected due to ESN mismatch.