1.    #1  
    So this is my first post on the forums and my first thread. Good times! I've been following the forums for a couple of weeks now and I'm about excited as anyone can get that I may be able to get my Pre next week when my $150 discount from Sprint comes due and I get a check from my second job.

I currently plan to buy from Best Buy to take advantage of the instant rebate. I don't have any worries about them running out of stock if something is wrong with mine since they had 5 sitting on shelves a few days after launch. Guess my little town wasn't excited about the Pre as I am!

In preparation of getting a Pre, do you have any tips for me? What apps do I need to download before even leaving the store? Are there any tricks I need to be aware of in getting everything to sync right off the bat?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    my tip:

read the forum. everything you need to know is here.

good luck!
    Be warned if you do buy from BestBuy. If you have issues and need to return the phone hope they still have it in stock. If not then you re SOL. Sprint won't help you at all. Palm is saying that in-warranty needs to go through Sprint.

Sprint says return it to Best Buy. The issue is if your Best Buy is out of stock then there is no real clue when they might get any new ones. Just be warned.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmhanson View Post
    Be warned if you do buy from BestBuy. If you have issues and need to return the phone hope they still have it in stock. If not then you re SOL. Sprint won't help you at all. Palm is saying that in-warranty needs to go through Sprint.

Sprint says return it to Best Buy. The issue is if your Best Buy is out of stock then there is no real clue when they might get any new ones. Just be warned.
    If you carry Sprint insurance any Sprint store will help you. Not sure where you are getting your info?
    Quote Originally Posted by artitumis View Post
    In preparation of getting a Pre, do you have any tips for me? What apps do I need to download before even leaving the store? Are there any tricks I need to be aware of in getting everything to sync right off the bat?
    No need to download anything before you leave the store. Phone works fine as soon as it's activated.

As far as Syncing goes just make sure and clean up your contacts out in the "cloud" so that when things Sync up it will be a little less messy and easier to manage.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    No need to download anything before you leave the store. Phone works fine as soon as it's activated.

As far as Syncing goes just make sure and clean up your contacts out in the "cloud" so that when things Sync up it will be a little less messy and easier to manage.
    Yeah it certainly makes a difference cleaning up your contacts from whichever source you'll be syncing with. I took the extra step of exporting my contacts from Outlook to Gmail (coming from an HTC Touch Pro synced with Outlook on my PC) so that i'd have them right off the bat from the store and it was a good idea from simplicity's sake.

Congrats and enjoy the new phone!
  7.    #7  
    First, thanks to everyone for your replies. I appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl
    My asking that was more aimed to find out what apps are very good and worth installing immediately. Sorry for the confusion there.
    My asking that was more aimed to find out what apps are very good and worth installing immediately. Sorry for the confusion there.
    No prob....for me Fandango and FlightView are worth the download. I have used both a few times (for real use other then just playing). It all really depends on what your needs are.

Pandora is popular and works very well but does have a negative effect on battery life if you use it regularly during the day. However it is nice to have when you want to listen to something other than the MP3s you have.

As far as weather goes I would skip the weather app in the app store in favor of placing a bookmark on the launcher for http://weather.com/iphone/ This website gives you the info you need and vastly better radar options with animation.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    mCraig is a decent Craigslist app, Tweed is the better of the two twitter apps, the NYTimes app is not very good... just bookmarking their website is better.

Also, Shortcovers is pretty neat if you're killing time in the doc's office and a 2 month old copy of trashy celebrity news magazines isn't your idea of a good time. Check out a profile of it here:

The Future of Books Is Smartphones - Gadgetwise Blog - NYTimes.com
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    So this is my first post on the forums and my first thread. Good times! I've been following the forums for a couple of weeks now and I'm about excited as anyone can get that I may be able to get my Pre next week when my $150 discount from Sprint comes due and I get a check from my second job.

I currently plan to buy from Best Buy to take advantage of the instant rebate. I don't have any worries about them running out of stock if something is wrong with mine since they had 5 sitting on shelves a few days after launch. Guess my little town wasn't excited about the Pre as I am!

Just make sure while it is booting up to look for dead or stuck pixels. The boot up screen is the easiest to see them on and since it takes a while to boot look really hard and carefully. Also check out the screen for light leakage and or discoloration on all screens, then I would test the keyboard for play and also of course call quality.