Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartre View Post
    Any thoughts on this? I just had my Nissan Murano wired for an aux input, but, like some others, whenever the 3.5 mm plug is used, the external mic turns off. If what another poster stated is true (two lines on a non-mic plug; 3 lines on a plug with a mic), then I should be good, as the plug has the two black lines.
    for me, it only works if i plug in before any sound is output from the phone (calls, music, etc). if i plug in while i have something on, the mic turns off. don't know the deal, but hey, it works well when it works...
    Quote Originally Posted by ekinnyc View Post
    do u have SAT in your G35? There is a way to add an aux input - i have it on my nissan with bose + sat input. since i didnt have the actual factory satellite antenna hooked up, i was able to add the aux input.

look for AAI-NIS2. it plugs into the sat input of ur nissan/infiniti, and adds 2 RCA inputs. go to radio shack and buy a RCA to 3.5 mini cable, and voila. i use this as an ipod input for road trips
    Sounds great. But using that device, can I still keep my XM Radio? Although XM Radio is expensive so I was thinking of canceling.... I wonder why a 2006 luxury performance car didn't come with aux input in the first place, it is rather annoying.
    I'll have to check out that "AAI-NIS2" since I have a 2005 maxima with no aux input and no sat setup... damn bose with no aux inputs.. grrr
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    for me, it only works if i plug in before any sound is output from the phone
    I think this is what I did yesterday, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll have to try it again. Thanks for the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrzymuscle26 View Post
    I'll have to check out that "AAI-NIS2" since I have a 2005 maxima with no aux input and no sat setup... damn bose with no aux inputs.. grrr
    As an owner of two maximas - both of which originally had bose, I can confirm that bose sucks. My wife's replacement clarion which cost a cool $200 way outperforms the bose (pia to install properly of course).

Anyway, I have mine connected to a cassette adapter (one of my friends asked me "what's wrong - your 8 track broken" - but I digress) and everything works fine.

I can receive and make calls. it pauses pandora, routes the sound over the speakers and allows me to use the speaker phone on the phone (i.e. I don't have built in bluetooth.)

I do not need to plug it in before sound. In fact, I recently took a call, talked on speakerphone, disconnected the phone from the cassette, walked into the store, talked, walked back out to the car, plugged it back into the adapter and talked on the speakerphone while listening over the speakers.

So, if you are using a cassette adapter and your stereo has no BT or other microphone, this should work for you.

Since I don't have an aux, I don't have any "input" on that. lol.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    AAI-NIS2

hey guys regarding this audio input, did you guys install it yourselves? i probably have to do some digging in the back of my bose system (05 g35 coupe) and was wondering how tough it is? If its difficult where can i get it done? oh by the way i hear there is slight noise interference unless you get the ground loop isolator with it. do you guys have that installed as well?

Thanks guys
    I had my Murano wire for an auxiliary input on Wednesday, but it seemed that the mic on the phone was being turned off whenever it was plugged in. I could use Pandora and Navigation and Music and so on, but I had to unplug to speak on a phone call.

I went to radio shack, bought a replacement cable for the one the audio store guy had used and tried it on my home system. It worked perfectly, so I assumed that the installer had used a cable that somehow disengaged the Pre microphone when it was plugged in (although the plug looked exactly the same). I took the new cable to the installer and we talked about replacing it, but first I though I would demonstrate the new cable. We plugged it in and I made a call - the person I called heard me through the Pre microphone perfectly - even from the back seat speaking in a normal voice. Then, just to test, we plugged in the existing cable and made a call. The person i called heard everything perfectly.

Turns out, in my car at least, you have to plug the phone in AFTER the vehicle is on. I'm not sure if this is 'vehicle is one and radio system on" or just "vehicle on."

In any case, my solution seems to be get the car started, then plug in the phone, and I have what the original poster was justifiably excited about!
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    for me, it only works if i plug in before any sound is output from the phone (calls, music, etc). if i plug in while i have something on, the mic turns off. don't know the deal, but hey, it works well when it works...
    seemed to be the same with mine
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Yeah, and that makes me even more disappointed that my G35 doesn't have an aux port. Makes me wish I'd have waited a year to get the car...
    LOL I'm in the same boat. I have a 05 G35 Coupe. All the freakin' years after have an AUX input. I mean, sure, 5 disc MP3 player is cool and all for 05, but come on!!! AUX INPUT IS WAAAAAAAAAY COOLER!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremym27 View Post
    I'm actually considering getting a new car sterio. If I do, what features do I need to make sure it has to be able to fully unleash the power of the Pre?
    It's nice to see how tables have turned. People used to change their cellphones just because it was not compatible with their car, but it's the other way around. Cellphone compatibility is a factor in choosing what car to buy . Nice job Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by subhash_c View Post
    *All while charging the phone? Check
    Are you sure about that using AUX port as only a a input signal to your car audio?
    Yep...I've never had issues with the mic being disabled or anything that. It works GREAT.

Another thing I love about it: as soon as I unplug the cable, the music player or Pandora automatically pauses playing.

That is so nice.
    Yep. I was going to post the same thing about pausing when unplugged.

But, you CAN replace just the stereo you know...

What I hate about buying a new car is they package the damned bose crap with things like leather. So you essentially have to buy that junk. If I had it my way, I'd take the leather and a crap stereo and just go to a shop and replace it with state of the art high quality for less or the same as the bose.

Bose car stereos quite honestly are one of the big ripoffs IMO in the car industry....and you don't know it until you listen to something else.

/rant
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    I used it worked great then the next day the AUX button on radio didn't work...strange
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    Thanks! I think this was my problem.

Just tried mine again today and that seems to have nailed it. I thought it would only work for incoming because I tried it twice outgoing, but in both cases I plugged in the cord after I dialed or while I was already connected.
    wynand32, try one of those $10 converter things that goes into the cd player slot and has a 3.5 plug sticking out of it.
    I wish I had aux input in my car.

On the subject of the speakerphone, when I'm working on my desk I usually have my speakers plugged into my Pre with have Pandora running (so much memory free when I don't have iTunes running on my laptop in the background!)... when a call comes in, Pandora pauses itself (great way of knowing that a call is coming in the first place), and I just put them on speakerphone with the phone resting on my desk while I continue working. Hear them great, they hear me great, little to no echo whatsoever.

While I'm on it, does anyone find themselves plugging headphones/speakers into their Pre because it's a LOT easier to understand the person on the line? I pretty much have all my conversations that way now, if I can.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Experimented with this numerous times today. Always with outgoing calls. At one point I quit ALL my programs (no cards open) and then plugged in and tried to make a call. No luck.

After resetting my Pre, I did the same thing and it worked fine. Then I launched Pandora, started playing tunes, then I placed a phone call and again it worked fine.

Later in the afternoon, no luck. Lots more testing needed but, I'm thinking I must not be able to plug in or unplug while Pandora is running. I'm thinking I've got to quit Pandora (and possibly all music/audio related programs) before connecting or disconnecting the headphone jack to my car stereo.

Anyone else have bugginess with sometimes working, sometimes not? (In case it wasn't clear, my problem is that my mic is occasionally muted).
    This 1 stupid feature has convinced me to stick with Sprint and the Pre! Despite the spotty reception and lame build quality.

Being able plug the 3.5mm jack into my AUX input is the best damn thing since sliced bread. I drive a 6 speed Civic SI, and a hands free device is an absolute must. I've dabbled with bluetooth earpieces, bluetooth handsfree speakerphones, and of course the phones speakerphones. As you probaly know, the Treo's were notoriously poor bluetooth devices. With speakerphone on, I always had a tough time hearing the other person due to car noise, with bluetooth, I always had trouble with the other party hearing me, and with staying connected.

Now with this plugged into the AUX input, the phone conversation is crystal clear thru the stereo system no matter what the RPM or car speed. Plus the other end hears me clearer than on any of my previous bluetooth/speakerphone setups. The phone is just working thru the normal mic, with superb results.

Add to that the automatic pause on Pandora when a call comes in, that means I can blast away without worrying about missing a call!

Canceled the Sirius Radio, saved bucks, and got the best in car phone setup I've ever had.

Now I'm never giving back the Pre!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123