1.    #1  
    i am seriously considering returning the pre and getting the iphone or a curve.
    WebOS is cool, but the hardware is a bit lacking. i am really disheartened by the "wiggle" of the slider - it should not be a normal occurence. the webos definitely has bugs (that bother me):

- VERY quiet ringtones/sms/email notification (even with all volume set to max)
    - cannot pick tones for SMS messaging
    - alarm clock - cannot set an alarm to recur on certain days. i have a staggered work schedule, and need to wake up at 7AM on some days, and 6AM on others. on my old phone i used the calendar and set my alarms as events. that brings me to my next point...
    - calendar notification sucks - beeps once and quietly. cannot set a ringtone as notification (for alarm purposes) also, cannot set reminder to go off AT the event time, has to be minimum 5 minutes.
    - slow start up
    - phone "reboots" itself if i turn it off while it is plugged into the charger (no touchstone). it shuts down, then powers back up after a few minutes.
    - synergy - allow me to import just MY CONTACTS from gmail, dont force me to have to import ALL CONTACTS. i dont need to have random email contacts added to my contact list just because i happened to send them an email or if they were cc'd on a reply-all

i dunno. i like it, but its problematic. its hard to tell if these are features that palm/sprint intend to keep, or something that was simply overlooked during QA process. as much as i like it, i feel like a BB curve or an iphone are more reliable, as they are established devices.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    It all comes down to whether you're patient or not. If anyone thought going into this phone that there weren't going to be some pain points then you were sorely mistaken. We've already seen 2 updates since launch. Palm is serious about this phone. If you can wait 6 months, I think you will see a completely different phone. All those things on the list are things that have pretty much been acknowledged as needed for updates. The ringtone issue is easy to fix, just download the louder ringtones from precentral. Anyway, if you can wait then I believe you will have the best phone on the market in 6 months, if not...then go to the iPhone and get raped by AT&T.
    For future reference... Do not buy a brand new phone with a brand new operating system if you cannot handle the things that come with it...

1. Bugs
    2. Hardware issues
    3. Waiting patiently for Updates.
    4. Reading forums to find out that you can raise the volume of your ringtones and sounds.
    I'm on the ledge for diff reasons, but its down to curve or pre.. staying with sprint either way.. new blackberry by end of year maybe

I may go back to my curve.. but hate the browser..

ugh

glad email/exchange is working for me!
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    My only point of information for you having owned an Iphone, a Curve, and now a Pre is concerning your notification problems, going to an Iphone isn't going to help as it has the same issues (IE: can't change alarm sounds, email sounds, etc) but BlackBerry's have crazy ridiculous amounts of settings that allow you control every aspect of every alert ever. If those are on the top of your list, I would certainly go with the BB over the iphone.
  6.    #6  
    i knew i was gonna get flamed for saying the i-word.
    hardware issues should not be so prevalent in a phone that is supposed be the Palm savior. the QA sucks. i got lucky - mine doesnt have dead pixels or light leaks, but it does twist and its bothering the hell out of me. and Sprint store mgr tells me its normal? its not normal. and worst of all, because of the shortage and waitlists, i cannot get it exchanged!

for me it was either Pre or Curve. I was never an iphone fan, but now its looking like a viable alternative
    Quote Originally Posted by ekinnyc View Post
    hardware issues should not be so prevalent in a phone that is supposed be the Palm savior. the QA sucks. i got lucky - mine doesnt have dead pixels or light leaks, but it does twist and its bothering the hell out of me. and Sprint store mgr tells me its normal? its not normal. and worst of all, because of the shortage and waitlists, i cannot get it exchanged!

for me it was either Pre or Curve. I was never an iphone fan, but now its looking like a viable alternative
    If a person wants a physical keyboard, there are only two options, a slider or "candybar".

I don't want a virtual keyboard as my only keyboard.

This is my first slider phone, and I kept hearing about the "wiggle", but never noticed. Then I looked for it, and saw what some folks were complaining about. Mine has between 1/8" and 1/4" (let's call it 3/16") wiggle. I never noticed it because it just made sense that a keyboard that travels along what is essentially a 2 rail track is going to have some play.

I'd say the manager is probably right, it's normal.
    If it's that big an issue, I'd say you need to look at another phone. If the other things are important, sounds like the BB should be what you're looking at.
    If you think you're getting flamed on this thread I would advise you to not post on forums. I've seen nothing in any of the responses above that even come close to anything I would consider flaming. I've seen flame wars where I would sear that if the participants were physically in the same room together they would have gone to blows.
    Yeah I was about to say...no one flamed you. You are just looking for an answer you probably already know.

Its a sliders ALL sliders have wiggle. Hell...better than it snapping off of its rails because its so rigid.
    trust me you didnt get flamed that bad. Actuley they just lit the match. dont be too hasty in your decision as you dont want to get stuck with AT&T for 2 years and all you hear about is how the pre is now the best thing sence baked bread. And if the monthly costs of having a phone dont botter you, you should check into things. Sprints by far the cheepest and best features. Also take note of weather or not you use the gps nav software, it comes with your sprint plan. As for AT&T it will cost you around $130 for the software (when avail) and then about $10 extra a month to use it. Thats just a small example of the differences in carriers. As for your alarm problem, I have used two alarm clocks for the last 10 years, one on my night stand and one across the room, only way I dont keep hitting the snooze button in my sleep. Do some searching, read some stuff, and good luck!
    There are a lot of things that tick me off about the Pre and yoir list is very similar to mine. I can guarantee you most of those will be fixed inside of 3 months or so but we will have to be patient. I also can guarantee that speed wise this device will only improve.

Stick around if you can but if not just realize something every device forums look exactly like this one with endless *****ing. Don't let it get to you.
    I'll just chime in to echo the slider comments. I live in landscape slider land (HTC devices) and yes... every slider, including those I've owned, have had a little play. Having done some light design, there are a number of good reasons they have a little wiggle to them. Among these, believe it or not, is longevity of the device. If it makes a person uncomfortable then it's probably best to go with a non-slider form factor such as the iPhone or BB.

From what you've said, maybe the Pre isn't quite right for you. A BlackBerry sounds more suited to your needs than an iPhone, but it probably won't be as much 'fun' for your personal style as the iPhone or Pre would've been.

And yeah... forums are forums. I actually like this one. The folks here are pretty fair and reasonable if you don't try to read too much into their 'tone.' Actually, a great gauge to see where the pitfalls of a device are is to go watch the major forums of your next device. Even fans have their gripes and those are usually the most honest. PreCentral has made me grateful it's not quite my time to upgrade as a lot of little features I love in my WinMo devices just aren't there yet on the Pre.
    On the wiggle: I came from a HTC Touch Pro, which is a very well built phone, but there is definitely a wiggle- probably more than on my Pre. It's just part of the form factor to have some play.
    Just wanted to add that if the slider is looser than it should be, you can tighten it yourself. I believe there's a thread all about that. It's kind of sad that we have to resort to this when we're buying such an expensive phone, but, if tinkering with it a little will solve the problem, why not go for it?
    i am seriously considering returning the pre and getting the iphone or a curve.
    WebOS is cool, but the hardware is a bit lacking. i am really disheartened by the "wiggle" of the slider - it should not be a normal occurence. the webos definitely has bugs (that bother me):

- VERY quiet ringtones/sms/email notification (even with all volume set to max)
    - cannot pick tones for SMS messaging
    - alarm clock - cannot set an alarm to recur on certain days. i have a staggered work schedule, and need to wake up at 7AM on some days, and 6AM on others. on my old phone i used the calendar and set my alarms as events. that brings me to my next point...
    - calendar notification sucks - beeps once and quietly. cannot set a ringtone as notification (for alarm purposes) also, cannot set reminder to go off AT the event time, has to be minimum 5 minutes.
    - slow start up
    - phone "reboots" itself if i turn it off while it is plugged into the charger (no touchstone). it shuts down, then powers back up after a few minutes.
    - synergy - allow me to import just MY CONTACTS from gmail, dont force me to have to import ALL CONTACTS. i dont need to have random email contacts added to my contact list just because i happened to send them an email or if they were cc'd on a reply-all

i dunno. i like it, but its problematic. its hard to tell if these are features that palm/sprint intend to keep, or something that was simply overlooked during QA process. as much as i like it, i feel like a BB curve or an iphone are more reliable, as they are established devices.
    Many of these issues can be solved by looking around the forums but I will summaraze

Slow start up....Uhh...why would you be rebooting your phone so often? Mine hasn't been rebooted since I got it.

You can turn the phone off while charging, at least I can, hold the power button down for a bit longer

synergy you can remove those contacts from gmail to clean up your phone, regardless I found they DONT hurt anyone by being there, use universal search to find someone you want to call, easy peasy

You can pick tones for sms, search for "Pimp my sounds" its an app, this also might solve your calender sound problem

You can boost the sound of your ringtones (I did) using MP3 booster, look around the forums for that one, bump the dB to 100

Staggered alarm schedule, set two alarms, then turn one off and the other one on from the alarm menu, it takes no time at all, less time then it takes to plug the phone in at night

You have slider has a large amount of play, then return it the phone its,faulty

End of thread
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Integrals- I like your solutions.
    Do you have any suggestions for "pimping" the calendar?
    I am sure it will come as things are ironed out, but I am very dependent on the calendar fxn. I have tried all the tricks for syncing iCal to teh phone and none work.
    Is there any other way to get colored icons for month view like on teh old Palms?

Thanks
    a
    Quote Originally Posted by alivia View Post
    Integrals- I like your solutions.
    Do you have any suggestions for "pimping" the calendar?
    I am sure it will come as things are ironed out, but I am very dependent on the calendar fxn. I have tried all the tricks for syncing iCal to teh phone and none work.
    Is there any other way to get colored icons for month view like on teh old Palms?

Thanks
    a
    I am not sure, you could search for the thread that talks about the software, I think the dev team is still working on calenders notifications but I could be wrong
    You should demand a phone that is functional. If the slider is broken, get a new phone. If it's just annoying, that's another matter.

I find the benefits of multitasking ENORMOUS and Synergy has already changed my life. Mileage may vary. Those two things are worth waiting for additional functionality and bug fixes. My battery life and receptions are gone, so I'm willing to be patient.