1.    #1  
    1) Slider is very jiggly wobbely when closed.

2) More yellow blotches on the screen then on a kids face when reaching puberty! ( I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me at first but these yellow spots are there, only really see them in a white screen, doesnt bother me all that much)

3) New issue...My phone reset 3 times yesterday after closing the slider.

I just came back from the sprint store and got my name on a waiting list. The wait is at least a week. I hope these batches will be better. Ive had a treo650 for 4 years and have been waiting patiently for the pre. Hopefully the new one will be allright.

The palm pre is great aside from these issues, and this forum is great as well!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Hi Myblackz28. I understand you are getting a replacement phone, but in the mean time you can fix the crash-on-close issue by wedging some paper between the battery and its well to keep it from shifting when the slider closes. That particular issue is reported to have been caused by a batch of batteries that are <1mm too short for the battery well. Might as well enjoy your Pre crash-free until the new one arrives.
    I had the same problems, except I didn't have the battery issue. My phone was a black box one with a warranty date of 05/30. My new one is a yellow box one with a 06.12 date. While the slider is not totally perfect, it's tons better than the other phone was, and this one doesn't have the blotches.

Off topic.....what year Z28?
    Quote Originally Posted by myblackz28 View Post

2) More yellow blotches on the screen then on a kids face when reaching puberty! ( I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me at first but these yellow spots are there, only really see them in a white screen, doesnt bother me all that much)

I just came back from the sprint store and got my name on a waiting list. The wait is at least a week. I hope these batches will be better. Ive had a treo650 for 4 years and have been waiting patiently for the pre. Hopefully the new one will be allright.

Was first on the list for the 2nd wave of Pre's after launch and got it about a week after launch-day. My slider is a bit wobbly. I ordered one for my wife that came two weeks later...the slider is tight and perfect...
    i have a first gen pre purchased on June 6, with the black box my slider is just fine..
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    Hi Myblackz28. I understand you are getting a replacement phone, but in the mean time you can fix the crash-on-close issue by wedging some paper between the battery and its well to keep it from shifting when the slider closes. That particular issue is reported to have been caused by a batch of batteries that are <1mm too short for the battery well. Might as well enjoy your Pre crash-free until the new one arrives.
    This is an issue with the phone, not the battery. See the last couple of pages in the 10 page long thread in the Hardware/Use/Trouble Shooting forum.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Was first on the list for the 2nd wave of Pre's after launch and got it about a week after launch-day. My slider is a bit wobbly. I ordered one for my wife that came two weeks later...the slider is tight and perfect...
    Hope the new one is better!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I had the same problems, except I didn't have the battery issue. My phone was a black box one with a warranty date of 05/30. My new one is a yellow box one with a 06.12 date. While the slider is not totally perfect, it's tons better than the other phone was, and this one doesn't have the blotches.

Off topic.....what year Z28?
    Manny its a 94. Check it out: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/410688

What year is yours? Where you located wanna race? Winner gets a perfect pre
    Quote Originally Posted by myblackz28 View Post

I am sorry I have to do this

Hey I love my new car but

1) The doors droop and don't close well
    2) The windshield is spotted and distorted
    3) The engine just stalls at random three times a day

I went back to the dealer and they put my name on a list to replace the car but they didn't tell me when I would get it for sure. I really hope the new one is better.

Aside from these issues the car is great.

Now I realize a phone and a car a little different in price but when you look at the price this phone costs $299 + (24*$99)= $2675 add in any insurance you guys pay ($7x12) and now the phone is over $2700 and that is if you are on the cheapest plan for the Pre I would not be willing to ignore all the issues and "Aside from these issues the phone is great"

I have personally seen cars that cost $500 perform their basic functions better
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osidak View Post
    I am sorry I have to do this

Hey I love my new car but

1) The doors droop and don't close well
    2) The windshield is spotted and distorted
    3) The engine just stalls at random three times a day

I went back to the dealer and they put my name on a list to replace the car but they didn't tell me when I would get it for sure. I really hope the new one is better.

Aside from these issues the car is great.

Now I realize a phone and a car a little different in price but when you look at the price this phone costs $299 + (24*$99)= $2675 add in any insurance you guys pay ($7x12) and now the phone is over $2700 and that is if you are on the cheapest plan for the Pre I would not be willing to ignore all the issues and "Aside from these issues the phone is great"

If you want the analogy to be more accurate add the gasoline cost to the $500 car.

This analogy doesn't really hold up well. You're not paying $2,700 for the phone. You're paying $299 for the phone (or $199 after MIR), and the rest is for the service that you're using. Presumably, you need that service to get things done, whether it's just for fun or it's for work. Again, presumably, you also signed up for the $99/month plan, and not the $69/month plan, because you need the minutes, not because you got a Pre.

You might say, "But, I have an Everything plan only because I have a Pre." To that, I'd say, true, but again you have a Pre to access those services, not the other way around. You could have taken a free Centro and had email, Web, SMS, etc., etc. It should be safe to assume that you've signed up for the services because you need them, not because wanted a Pre.

To reiterate, you aren't paying Sprint that much for the Pre. You're paying them that much for cellular and Internet service. The Pre is merely the device you've chosen to access those services. And, Sprint was kind enough to pay for a good portion of that Pre to induce you to use their services, meaning you actually got the Pre at a bargain price.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Explain that one to me - the cost is not a factor in this. I simply brought up cost to show that the Pre is not really as cheap as it appears and thus not a throw away device.

however if you do want to factor in cost of gas lets do that.

We will say the $500 car gets 20 mpg (epa says 22.1 is the average but will will knock it down a bit to account for less than optimal condition) and drives the typical 12,000 miles per year (per the EPA) with a national avg gas cost of $2.68 (per AAA as of 6/23/09) and that adds up to ~$1610 in fuel a year. So sure the car cost more but in this example not that much more and if you had all those issues you would dumping it and going for something else.

If you want to further break it down the car is costing you roughly $44 more per month (and that is dropping the insurance cost from the phone)

Bet that is less than you pay to watch TV every month. Oh and for giggles lets raise the fuel economy to 30 mpg and at point the phone will cost you ~ $30 more than the car over a 2 year period.

Of course a car has other expenses (oil, tires, insurance ect) but the whole point of the argument was simply -I am ok that a device of mine that I just paid $2900 (assuming 24 months of insurance/service) is full of flaws is pretty skewed. The same person would not put up with the same issues with some thing else like a car.
    -Treo 650 | 700wx | Centro | 800w | Treo Pro
    Ever drive a Fiat? No. Neither have I. It never ran enough to drive it.
    wynand - I will disagree as you are required to purchase a certain plan to get the Pre and since we are talking about the Pre and not the centro lets keep it to that.

But lets drop the service cost of the pre all together the Phone with out service is $549 (you have to pay for the service if you want it for the $299/$199 price)

Would you consider buying the car I described above for $549 - If the answer is no then why would you spend $549 for the pre showing the same issues.
  15.    #15  
    Wow, these analogies are confusing. Bottom line is, I have a pre that is getting replaced. Thank you and have a nice day
    sacherjj - Yep a $500 Fiat is pretty well used up - Actually historically a brand new Fiat is pretty well used up but there are plenty of cars out there for $500 that are not Fiats and are actually very reliable.

With any luck your next one is a workable phone and you don't have to put up with spots on your phone..... That said read the boards and you have numerous people on phones 3 or more
    Last edited by osidak; 06/23/2009 at 11:29 AM.