1.    #1  
    i charged my pre 100% at about 10pm est last night. when i woke up at 630am the battery was on 76%. so i live in nj and work in nyc, i take about an hour bus ride into the city and listened to pandora the whole way. now at 9:17 the battery is at 40%.

that seems a bit excessive to me, i do have gmail push on though.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Thats better battery life than I am getting right now. You are making 12 hours and only down to 40%. My battery is shot by 10 hour mark with light to moderate use. I will agree with you though, IMO, a phone should be able to make the 24 hour mark with moderate use.
  3.    #3  
    well you have to remember while i am sleeping basically nothing is being used other then the push email. i went to bed around 1030, so 6 of the 10 hours there was no use.
    Pandora kills batteries on all phones it's constantly streaming music to you over a persistent data connection. Esp since you're traveling the signal probably fluctuated so at times it probably had to work to keep the connection going.

This is not limited to the Pre but all phones.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    Pandora kills batteries on all phones it's constantly streaming music to you over a persistent data connection. Esp since you're traveling the signal probably fluctuated so at times it probably had to work to keep the connection going.

This is not limited to the Pre but all phones.
    Agreed,

I have had average battery life at best during my two weeks of ownership. Yesterday I was busy and did not have much time for Pandora. I did a little bit of web browsing, some texts, and lots of e-mails and got through a ten hour day using ~40% of my battery. I was thrilled. Today I used Pandora for maybe ~45 minutes during my commute to work and lost 22% of my battery. To be fair to Pandora, last week I changed the preferences to higher quality audio which obviously requires more data and more battery life.

Now that I know the source that is most responsible for using up my battery. I can be more cognizant of my use.

On a side note: I'm excited for Seidio's 2600 extended life battery. I'm on the fence until they release more info above the depth of the new battery and door and whether or not the extended battery door can charge on the touchstone. I am determined to get a touchstone this weekend.
    "In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

insert crapy old phone here (x3)->Sanyo 4920 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Moto Q -> Palm Pre
    I would hope any kind of extended battery door would still be touchstone compatible, though assuming the secondary winding of the inductive coupling between the touchstone and phone is actually inside the matte cover, I guess we don't really know if any third party companies know how to replicate that design. All I know is that, if it's not touchstone compatible, I'm not buying it. I can't go back to normal charging again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    I would hope any kind of extended battery door would still be touchstone compatible, though assuming the secondary winding of the inductive coupling between the touchstone and phone is actually inside the matte cover, I guess we don't really know if any third party companies know how to replicate that design. All I know is that, if it's not touchstone compatible, I'm not buying it. I can't go back to normal charging again.
    If you look at the innards of the Matte cover, there is something special going on there.

Image courtesy of Kevin and James @ jkOnTheRun from a post here:

Early Impressions of the Palm Pre: Tag Team Style

Thought it would be appropriate to give the original authors their due credit.
    "In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

insert crapy old phone here (x3)->Sanyo 4920 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Moto Q -> Palm Pre
    I think Palm is gouging people on Touchstone pricing but I'm a sucker and I bought one. I love the battery door (rubberized) that comes with it and functionality of Touchstone (pick up calls by just picking up phone from it, speakerphone when placed on it during call, etc.).

I love it so much I just bought the touchstone expansion kit so I have one at work and one at home.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Is it true that your screen stays on the entire time when the Pre is on the charger? What does it display? The lock screen? Is there a landscape mode of the lock screen?

If the screen does stay on the entire time, is it bright, or in a dimmed mode? I'd rather not have my screen on for nothing the entire time!
    It's the lock screen and yea it does dim the screen. Doesn't bother me at night but some people here think it's too bright. No landscape mode.
    Well that sucks...no touchstone for me then! I don't want that screen on 8 hours straight every night, plus whatever time it's on when I am awake. Unless they include an option that lets me turn it off, I wouldn't buy one!